A seriously new low for the Australian dollar

19 minutes ago, Straight8 said:

Can't imagine any Aussie wanting to come to Thailand for a holiday until the dollar is at least back up over 23 baht...even then it will quite an expensive holiday, with much better options elsewhere around the world

The Aussie dollar is tanking against everything right now isn't it?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

AUD is a commodity currency, much like Canada, NZ and some others. Therefore, it is tied into the Australian resources.

This is how the Aussie dollar compares with those two commodity currencies you have mentioned.   Heading south at an alarming rate.   Why are Canadian and NZ resources more robust in a time of crisis?

The AUD has also fallen off the cliff against Banana Republic economies such as Argentina.    I just don't understand the international money market.

1671290472_Screenshot2020-03-1722_15.30(2).png.a79b1a18158fb5ea073949169ed937af.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Guderian said:

Look on the bright side, cobber, that's still less than 40% down. The pound was down from a high of around 76 to a low of 36 a few months ago, that's way more than a 50% drop. Things could still get worse, in times like these every government will be trying to push its currency down against all the others.

Pound was down from 50 to 40 ........ that's a 20% drop (it was at 50 for 7 years).

If you want to talk historical max/min ........ it's up 15% from 1997.

Edited by BritManToo

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I just got a voucher from BA for cancelling my UK trip. Might be a good time for a holiday in Oz. I'm sure it was 18 years ago. 

BTW, when I came to Thailand Oct 1992, the us$ a 25 and uk£ 37.

when i first came pound to baht was 66/7 for a pound !! that was 2006

Edited by essox essox
after thought
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

AUD is a commodity currency, much like Canada, NZ and some others. Therefore, it is tied into the Australian resources.

3 main factors have dragged the AUD in recent years.

1. USA/China trade war.

2. Covid-19.

3. Russia/Saudi OPEC oil price dropping.

Each of the above will greatly affect commodity prices so, also AUD exchange rate.  
Back when the exchange rate was 30+, oil prices were high, iron ore and coal exports to China and Sth Korea (main exports for Aus) were booming.

If you check Canadas exchange rate this is also dropping based on their commodities.
IMHO...I think it will keep dropping until we see some stabilisation of the above. Not good for those of us who bring money over.

I transfer my yearly budget usually around October every year, part of it is to do my extension (marriage) and the balance to survive for the remainder of the year, I do it this way because I know if the $ drops I am ahead, but last May I did the transfer ahead of time as I saw the $ dropping and I got 21.85 on Transferwise.

The above said not looking forward to this Octobers exchange rate, however am looking at making some coin from stocks I recently purchased which should be up, up and up by then and should compensate me well for the $'s decline.

I also remember when it was 33 back in 2007 or 8, but before moving here in 2015 made sure that I did my calcs on the $ being 20 baht, well the realisation appears to be here now, might have to readjust my cals for the future.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

It will eventually recover - but dont ask when. Thailand economy relies on exports and tourism a lot - both have been hit hard by the high Baht and eventually the Thai economy will crash and the Baht rate will fall against all currencies.  Aust has its own economic problems and being so reliant on exports (even more the Thailand) means we are getting reemed with the US/China trade issues and the ongoing slowdowns in Japan and Sth Korea. But the good news is that with the $AUD low it will eventualy recover when exports pick back up, and then the $AUD will follow and rise swifly.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Radar501 said:

This is how the Aussie dollar compares with those two commodity currencies you have mentioned.   Heading south at an alarming rate.   Why are Canadian and NZ resources more robust in a time of crisis?

The AUD has also fallen off the cliff against Banana Republic economies such as Argentina.    I just don't understand the international money market.

1671290472_Screenshot2020-03-1722_15.30(2).png.a79b1a18158fb5ea073949169ed937af.png

Good observation . would say because Australian resources are vast and more reliant on SEA so, are more affected??????

4 hours ago, genericptr said:

I remember it was 45 when I came in August 2005 and fried rice was 20 baht per plate. Food has has at least doubled since then in dollar terms.

and wages have gone from 150B a day to 300+ a day, so no doubt food costs have gone up.

12 hours ago, Guderian said:

Look on the bright side, cobber, that's still less than 40% down. The pound was down from a high 7in7of around 76 to a low of 36 a few months ago, that's way more than a 50% drop. Things could still get worse, in times like these every government will be trying to push its currency down against all the others.

The pound was not i repeatnot 76 i been here 20 year and the most was 74 and that was years ago 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Philipg114763 said:

The pound was not i repeatnot 76 i been here 20 year and the most was 74 and that was years ago 

Has been over 74, but not since '05, and last time it was over 76 was 1998.

10 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

3 main factors have dragged the AUD in recent years.

1. USA/China trade war.

2. Covid-19.

3. Russia/Saudi OPEC oil price dropping.

The president's bilateral trade dictat has put the wood to 'commodity currencies'.  That will be felt when American farmers ramp up exports to the PRC from the maximum $20b of the past to $50b going forward.

4 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Why? I use some one else I pay nothing for transfers over 300 $, below that I pay 3 dollars

TransferWise has worked well for me.. no bank fees or ATM fee.. the TransferWise fee is relatively low... and it is quick..