Trump urges U.S. to halt most social activity in virus fight, warns of recession

webfact

32 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

And where do you think your politics are?

Mine? I try not to label myself...minarchist maybe as a philosophy, but I have recently been re reading Bakunin, though more as a historical background in my studies on early Bolshevism. My last voter registration was independent. I voted for Bill too, despite the fact he was a lying sexist rapist exploiter who enriched himself off the public teat with his harridan of a crooked wife. Didnt vote for her though LOL

Theres a virus out there and I can only watch so much netflix.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Less loquaciously; you're a Trump supporter.

as my good friend Yinn would say: pfftt.

Have a great day! Im heading to the pool shortly myself, nothing beats a lazy day at home. I wont be reading your posts anymore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

South Korea has engaged in a massive program of early testing. The result: COVID infections are already leveling off.

How is it that testing has much effect on infection rate? That it provides some evidence of less detectable infection is great but it is the actions the SK authorities took that have probably been positive. They  may have done  many tests but those were targeted rather than generalized. Without applying the  more  draconian clamp downs  China did I think they recognized quickly that transpareny and publicity worked well on a population perhaps  more ready to acknowledge compliant reality especially  when nearby China provided examples of potential outcome if not  to do so.

The US has undeniably fumbled the ball in this game. The  rapid distribution across Italy should  have been an early enough wake up call . Sadly for Italy it and China signed an MOU early in January expanding tourism and flights between the two countries which probably  accounts for the problem now despite progressive measures to contain and the culmination in total lockdown. With a  death toll already around 60% of those reported from China and a significant elderly population Italy is in no happy situation.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

How is it that testing has much effect on infection rate? That it provides some evidence of less detectable infection is great but it is the actions the SK authorities took that have probably been positive. They  may have done  many tests but those were targeted rather than generalized. Without applying the  more  draconian clamp downs  China did I think they recognized quickly that transpareny and publicity worked well on a population perhaps  more ready to acknowledge compliant reality especially  when nearby China provided examples of potential outcome if not  to do so.

The US has undeniably fumbled the ball in this game. The  rapid distribution across Italy should  have been an early enough wake up call . Sadly for Italy it and China signed an MOU early in January expanding tourism and flights between the two countries which probably  accounts for the problem now despite progressive measures to contain and the culmination in total lockdown. With a  death toll already around 60% of those reported from China and a significant elderly population Italy is in no happy situation.

For one thing, random testing helps to find hot spots so authorities can do more intensive testing and treatment in those areas.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Mine? I try not to label myself...minarchist maybe as a philosophy, but I have recently been re reading Bakunin, though more as a historical background in my studies on early Bolshevism. My last voter registration was independent. I voted for Bill too, despite the fact he was a lying sexist rapist exploiter who enriched himself off the public teat with his harridan of a crooked wife. Didnt vote for her though LOL

Theres a virus out there and I can only watch so much netflix.

You certainly have a history of voting for crooked lowlifes then. Perhaps its best for the country if you abstain in future.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, bristolboy said:

For one thing, random testing helps to find hot spots so authorities can do more intensive testing and treatment in those areas.

Random testing is just dumb.

Whats the point of wasting something that is in short supply?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JHolmesJr said:

Random testing is just dumb.

Whats the point of wasting something that is in short supply?

Take it up with them:

Coronavirus experts call for random blood testing to slow the spread

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-17/coronavirus-experts-call-for-random-blood-testing/12060666

Anyway, why should anyone worry about this. After all...

RUSH LIMBAUGH (HOST): But I’m telling you, folks, I have — there’s so many red flags about things happening out there. This coronavirus, they’re just — all of this panic is just not warranted. This, I’m telling you, when I tell you — when I’ve told you that this virus is the common cold. 

https://www.mediamatters.org/coronavirus-covid-19/rush-limbaugh-coronavirus-common-cold-and-all-panic-just-not-warranted

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Correct. Best handling of a pandemic EVER. That's what people are telling me.

potus said it was "under tremendous control".

“In a tabletop exercise days before an untested new president took power, officials briefed the incoming administration on a scenario remarkably like the one he faces now.  Two-thirds of Trump officials who were briefed on the matter are no longer in the administration, which is likely one reason why the president has managed this current crisis so badly.

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, zydeco said:

It's called a Depression and it takes years, sometimes a decade, to work your way out of it. One thing is for certain, the Fed throwing more money, going to NIRP, and directing money to banksters and billionaires isn't going to make things better. In fact, doing that is what made the current crisis into more than that, a catastrophe.

The last depression to hit the USA was 1929. I think it may be a bit early to call this economic downturn a depression, in my humble opinion.

4 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

The last depression to hit the USA was 1929. I think it may be a bit early to call this economic downturn a depression, in my humble opinion.

We'll see. If they Republicans do what they did during the last crisis, and push for budgetary austerity, it could happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bet the USA is going to come out the other side of this very strong! Yep! Despite all the non-Americans claiming otherwise! Oh yeah, build up your Navy's! The brave new world approaches! 

Thailand likewise, will do fine. Although will be economically hurt by the downturn as will be everyone.

Ok those are my calls! 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

I bet the USA is going to come out the other side of this very strong! Yep! Despite all the non-Americans claiming otherwise! Oh yeah, build up your Navy's! The brave new world approaches! 

Thailand likewise, will do fine. Although will be economically hurt by the downturn as will be everyone.

Ok those are my calls! 

I guess it depends on what you mean by the USA. If you mean the upper 10 percent, you're mostly right. But the bottom 50 percent or maybe even  higher, not so much. As a Manhattan Institute report noted in a family of 4 with a single average earning male breadwinner, that breadwinner has to work 53 weeks per year just to pay for the basics. Is your prognostication for their future based on the saying "Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger."?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I don't think a travel agreement signed so recently could have led to an immediate onslaught of Chinese tourists. People don't plan their travel on such short notice. Particularly when the destination is an uncomfortable distance away.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I don't think a travel agreement signed so recently could have led to an immediate onslaught of Chinese tourists. People don't plan their travel on such short notice. Particularly when the destination is an uncomfortable distance away.

There was reportedly a massive increase in bookings by Chinese immediately after by comparison  to the  same period in  2019.

It also coincided within the  40 days of the year when annual holidays are taken in China. Part of the problem in containing the spread  even within China.

4 hours ago, gargamon said:

Come on, everything must be ok, Trump gave himself a rating of 10/10 for his handling of the crisis.

A simple error.  He accidentally dropped a zero from the denominator.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1