Covid-19: All entertainment venues, nightclubs, massage parlors in Bangkok to be closed for 14 days

webfact

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

I’m in Phuket now. You would think by reading TVF it’s dead. I’m not even in Patong I’m in Karon. It’s the busiest I’ve ever seen. My resort facing the sea is packed. At breakfast the room is filled. Restaurants are filled the breach is busy. The tourists here are mainly well heeled younger Russians at least 75%. They are friendly and having a great time. There is a large group of African Americans here at my hotel as well all spending a lot. I’ve seen and / or heard no Chinese and a good amount of Thai tourists are here and the rest are European and it seems Americans. I’m glad I came here for 9 days. If I listened to posters here I’d be in my condo in BKK hiding under a table. The situation in Thailand is nothing like Europe. I’m not watching CNN. Life will go on and I’ll be living it. 

I will add to that that I spent three days at Centara Grand Mirage in Pattaya over the weekend.  Absolutely packed - at breakfast we had to wait for tables.  Maybe 30% Thai, with the rest being predominantly Russian.  Quite a few Brits too (who may or may not have been Bangkokians like me).

Walking along the beach everywhere else was busy too.  I know a lot of Bangkok weekenders will be there but you could tell the tourists.

• Like 2

The Spanish Flu of 1918/19 killed an estimated 50-100 million worldwide. Ok, people weren’t as well nourished then and generally didn’t have access to the same level of medical facilities as they do now. But, Covid 19 left unchecked could and would kill millions. It must be serious if Trump is taking his head out of the sand

17 hours ago, brain150 said:

Panic and hysteria on all fronts.

This is insanity at its best and everybody that agrees should maybe just get some facts !

Because the one thing missing in this whole thingy is facts !!!

The only fact that matters is that Covid 19 has the ability to kill millions worldwide if left unchecked. Even Trump has taken his head out of the sand for this one. Maybe you should too

9 minutes ago, Forza2002 said:

The HiSo Thais and loan sharks will be gleefully rubbing their hands. They have the funds to ride out the storm and take advantage as many Thais don't have funds for a rainy day...

But how will the loan sharks deal with the vast numbers who can't or won't pay their loans? Will they even find enough "enforcers"? I've never understood this about the Thai credit culture. Banks at least try to have security for loans while knowing a high percentage will never perform. Will Somchai the debtor just do a runner for the outback of Issan?

16 minutes ago, PaDavid said:

The Spanish Flu of 1918/19 killed an estimated 50-100 million worldwide. Ok, people weren’t as well nourished then and generally didn’t have access to the same level of medical facilities as they do now. But, Covid 19 left unchecked could and would kill millions. It must be serious if Trump is taking his head out of the sand

Really? He has not been known to keep his mouth shut, whether smart or stupid statements....I would definitely not use his "position" (pun intended "out of the sand")  to base my judgement, if any...

17 hours ago, z42 said:

Irrespective of how dangerous the virus is, this is the right move and should do its bit to help contain the virus.

But that said, the time frame is something else, how long can people living hand to mouth survive for with no chance to earn a baht.

These sectors will highlight just how important the tourism sectors are. And i would hope that those envelope collectors go easy during this unprecedented crisis.

The country is going to take a seriously long time to recover from this I suspect. The fallout could well be that final straw, hope not though. 

Wishing all people here the best of health

The flip side to this is that getting exposed to the virus gives you some immunity to getting it again.  Just like getting a vaccine shot that is meant to expose you to the virus without getting sick.  So because it will probably be more than a year before any vaccine gets approved for use.  If covid-19 comes back again in the future there is a greater chance that it will be pandemic again the less people are exposed to it now. What we should be doing is protecting those who are at greater risk of complications. Like in Seattle where 10 in a elderly care home died. If they had kept family from visiting they wouldn't have been exposed. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brain150 said:

This is insanity at its best and everybody that agrees should maybe just get some facts !

Have you been a contestant in big brother germany and just found out about the virus today or something . Look around you to what's happening all over the world , how many FACTS do you need . You are shurly not using the part of your body that's named after you TVname . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hospitals,gaols,restaurants,markets,large and small shopping malls,office buildings and government buildings are places where large groups of people gather and mingle and work to close a certain type of establishments because large numbers of people gather and mingle (mingling is now a dirty word) then the same rule must be applied to "ALL" establishments like the ones I've mentioned,otherwise the virus will continue to spread.If you do shut down places where people mingle then millions will starve and anarchy will step forth.If you can't shut them all down it won't stop the spread so why shut any down,as mentioned in other posts millions will return home and spread the virus anyway.Any stimulus money I think ought to be spent on beefing up the health systems to deal with increases of critical care patients and building better systems and strategies and the rest should carry on as normal. 

Prayut must be happy with that big smile on his face , he now knows there won't be any mass protests against him going on for a while . Lucky dumb .... I hope it will hit him as hard and even 10 times harder then it will hit the rest of the country . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Different world, the shifts in trade and geopolitics will be very interesting. I don't mind as long as there's quality information available, change is a fact of life.

The changes we see going forward will probably make the changes caused by 911 look like hardly a blip on the radar

18 hours ago, webfact said:

He said all mass public gatherings and activities will also be prohibited.  They include concerts, exhibitions and religious gatherings.

The ban will take effect starting Wednesday.

Got to so something, start with 14 days and see what affect it's had on the numbers... all resorts like this will be closing soon, Hua Hin begging to stay open will be next followed by the southern resorts!

What with most countries in Europe and the USA in lock down

Now the British government advising against travel flights ect

So not to many tourists coming to Thailand

The Thai government had to respond their peoples Health and Welfare  comes first

14 day restrictions is a positive start seems to be a lot of negative reporting 

On this mainly from expats 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, brain150 said:

Agreed. The economic consequences worldwide will be far more severe than the virus. See this bowl of sugar. Now imagine taking one grain of sugar out. That is the chance of anything nasty happening to you due to the virus. The chance of dying from that one grain is infinitely smaller than that. Have a nice day.

Sugar.jpg

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

So you think they are faking the dead people numbers who are dying of virus? Like hundreds of dead tourists and Thai people are dying of the virus and somehow don’t get counted?  You are a fine sample of how scare mongering is OTT on this forum. What’s up with guys over 60? 

At risk.

Everything could be up for them.

Makes for some rather shrill posts.