Covid-19: All entertainment venues, nightclubs, massage parlors in Bangkok to be closed for 14 days

webfact

5 hours ago, natway09 said:

So in Bangkok tonight without your corner Pub where 8 guys have a quiet beer the "Pubs" with restaurant licences will be packed to the rafters people being closer to each other than before

Business as usual in the Phrom Phong pubs this lunchtime. 

so the world is shutting every thing down.  All the mass expansion, faster and larger airplanes, worldwide Disney and water type parks, etc.  Are we going to go back to a basic agronomy society?    3 or 4 billion drop in global population would be necessary.   Diseases and spreading of them with this many people and worldwide transport vectors is only going to increase.  

Bangkok Bank has closed their exchange window on Sukhumvit near Soi 8 for an indefinite period.  The notice on the window had to do with the Covid-19 and currency and advice to use ATMs. I wouldn't care except I used that window to get cash with a debit card and I know of no other institution that can process a debit card for Thai Baht.

Does anyone know of one?

It's interesting that they would close the window over the (I guess) fear of handling currency as if all transactions involved currency. I guess most do, but can't their personnel wear gloves? Can anyone imagine what it would be like if everyone in Thailand would stop using cash for fear of contracting the virus? Do the Bangkok Bank personnel not handle cash any more? I think I'll ask them tomorrow when I lodge my complaint with them (not that it will do any good - they were probably looking for an excuse to close it anyway.

Edited by MaxYakov

4 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Bangkok Bank has closed their exchange window on Sukhumvit near Soi 8 for an indefinite period.  The notice on the window had to do with the Covid-19 and currency and advice to use ATMs. I wouldn't care except I used that window to get cash with a debit card and I know of no other institution that can process a debit card for Thai Baht.

Does anyone know of one?

It's interesting that they would close the window over the (I guess) fear of handling currency as if all transactions involved currency. I guess most do, but can't their personnel wear gloves? Can anyone imagine what it would be like if everyone in Thailand would stop using cash for fear of contracting the virus? Do the Bangkok Bank personnel not handle cash any more? I think I'll ask them tomorrow when I lodge my complaint with them (not that it will do any good - they were probably looking for an excuse to close it anyway.

SCB in Korat has stopped handling cash exchanges in bank since last week

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jany123 said:

Rawai. But it’s not that big an island, if you have a car... Log onto the nai harn beach cameras... you can do it from where you sit. At this time of year, it’s usually hard to find somewhere to fall over... not so now.

But do come check it out. Nai harn is the best beach hereabouts, and the roads are empty. Enjoy

i was there 10 days ago and it was very quiet. karon less, still way more quiet than past years.

• Like 1

Does anyone know of one?

Isn't that what ATMs do?

10 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Does anyone know of one?

Isn't that what ATMs do?

That's what BB recommends we use. Problem is that I don't have the PIN for my debit card and have never used it in an ATM and am not very anxious to start now. Besides, I've seen many functions being performed at the window that involved complex paperwork that could not be performed by an ATM. I suspect they used this opportunity to shut down the services to save money and or use the personnel elsewhere.

I can buy food with my credit card so I won't starve, but I don't think my landlord and others would accept food or other goods as a substitute for Thai baht.

Edited by MaxYakov

On 3/17/2020 at 3:54 PM, cornishcarlos said:

Look at his smug little punch bag of a face !!

On 3/17/2020 at 4:01 PM, DLock said:

I'll hold him....you hit him...then swap.

Violence seems to be your sole communication channel.. But I wouldn't say I like the icompetent  peacock.

They are not all closed,massage shops in Soi 24/1 have shutters half way down and girls are calling guys in.

A load of bars open on Soi 11.

This place is so corrupt money talks so if massage shops want to stay open they will.

Again: the left hand does not know, what the right hand is doing!

Restaurants would be exempt from these measures?

Well: Soi 4 in Patpong is deemd as one entertainment area, so all the (strictly) restaurants like G's, Spanish on $ or Fork & Cork had to close!

Just wait, until the boys in brown get their "fair" share, for them being allowed to all open again.

If it weren't  that sad, I would be laughing my behind off!

18 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Where do you live ? Karon is the busiest I’ve seen in years!  I’ll be in Patong tomorrow unfortunately but now many things will be closed due to today’s news. I’m sure you don’t live in Karon because I would call you out on this. My wide body plane was 90 % full from BKK. The Hilton Karon breakfast time is packed , lobby is packed and tons of people on the beach. So where do you live basing your quietest in years ?  Maybe I’ll go check it out. 

It is certainly not the busiest in years as can be seen by these photos taken on Karon Beach, not far from the Hilton, yesterday afternoon.

IMG_20200317_134144.jpg

IMG_20200317_134152.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2020 at 7:37 PM, metempsychotic said:

Why yammer on about how this will show the importance of the tourist sector?

Everything affected will have been frequented primarily by locals, why make it about tourists?

Because the "Tourist sector" is not only defined by "tourists" but also by hotels, tours, excursions...and who do you think, runs all of those?

39 minutes ago, madmitch said:

It is certainly not the busiest in years as can be seen by these photos taken on Karon Beach, not far from the Hilton, yesterday afternoon.

IMG_20200317_134144.jpg

IMG_20200317_134152.jpg

I wish I took pics I was in the beach from 3:45 to 6 pm and there were people everywhere. I’m sure that’s a morning pic. The beach is quiet all the Russians are out in the afternoon like myself. But thanks for going out of your way for being a ....
found this pic just over my head and I wasn’t even where most people were YESTERDAY. Karon is usually very quiet. That’s the same mountain in your probably old pic. And I can tell the sun is much higher up and earlier in the day in your pic! Mine is 5:30pm 

75ABD92C-43D8-4352-AAF2-D2A155A9E3C4.png

Edited by alex8912
Add pic

7 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I wish I took pics I was in the beach from 3:45 to 6 pm and there were people everywhere. I’m sure that’s a morning pic. The beach is quiet all the Russians are out in the afternoon like myself. But thanks for going out of your way for being a ....

That was taken about 2:30 yesterday afternoon. I agree it is still reasonably busy, probably 90% Russians with the odd Scandinavian for good measure, but certainly nowhere near what would normally be expected. I'll take a walk down there late afternoon and check out what you say.

Not quite sure why this conversation is taking place in a thread about Bangkok!!

1 hour ago, jimbob333 said:

They are not all closed,massage shops in Soi 24/1 have shutters half way down and girls are calling guys in.

This place is so corrupt money talks so if massage shops want to stay open they will.

I think they are talking about the normal massage shops dude. Jeeez 

Only on TVF...

2 hours ago, alex8912 said:

found this pic just over my head and I wasn’t even where most people were YESTERDAY. Karon is usually very quiet. That’s the same mountain in your probably old pic. And I can tell the sun is much higher up and earlier in the day in your pic! Mine is 5:30pm 

I see more Phuket expats have decided to point out that your wrong. Now me... if Bangkok expats were to make a claim about the numbers of folk in the street of Bangkok being low, I’d probably believe them, given they are locals.... but you go guy, locals are wrong, your right ????

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

You can see from the shadows that it's been taken in the middle of a day. 

It was not during the time I said was busy which was 3:45 to 6 pm yesterday and the day before. It’s too hot 12 to 3:30 he Russian’s other tourists and me come out later. Hotel is full at breakfast as well 

7 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I apologise, Alex. Not high season levels but amazingly busy considering the present situation.

Karon Bech, same spot, 6 o'clock this afternoon

IMG_20200319_175645.jpg

IMG_20200319_175632.jpg

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, alex8912 said:
17 hours ago, jimbob333 said:

I think they are talking about the normal massage shops dude. Jeeez 

Only on TVF...

I thought the massage joints on Soi 24/1 were the "normal" ones. Silly me! :stoner: