Covid-19: Thai infected with virus complains of high cost and lack of beds

webfact

16 minutes ago, sapson said:

The various numbers in that article are contradictory, and seem to make little sense. They're talking about 400 beds in BKK but 4-5000 beds in the provinces, and yet are saying they expect most of the cases to be in the BKK region.

But frankly, 400 beds devoted to CV in BKK isn't going to cut it, if things even begin to escalate even slightly.

7 hours ago, donnacha said:

Have you never witnessed how middle class Thais use hospitals?

For the least little problem, they will agree to be kept overnight for "observation", and then accept any treatments the doctor suggests.

I have seen this problem a lot here....where doctors are treated like gods and not questioned. They seem flustered when I challenge their treatment recommendations and ask for other options. Trying to get my Thai wife to challenge them is very hard so I usually have to step in. I suppose it happens in other countries as well,,,but most of my hospital experiences have been here in Thailand.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 10:15 AM, soalbundy said:

They are covered by the 30 baht scheme, as a Thai he had no need of an insurance to pay for this.

Absolutely not true. Basically working Thais are not covered by the 30 Baht scheme. If the are working and have social security they are not covered. None of my Thai employees are covered by the 30 Baht scheme.

3 minutes ago, paulbrow said:

Correct, Thais working for a company, paying taxes and have social security are NOT covered by the 30 Baht plan.

Exactly! Neither are some of the Thais that lost or stopped a work and does not continue to pay in their social security by themself. That is also age depending.

6 hours ago, paulbrow said:

Correct, Thais working for a company, paying taxes and have social security are NOT covered by the 30 Baht plan.

My wife is a civil servant and I'm covered under her scheme. We still have to pay a fraction of the costs for treatment. It's certainly not free.