Is your money safe in Krung Thai Bank

My thai GF had B25000 in her acct 28/2/20 11 days later finds only 3100 left, 7 transactions happened in Singapore on 4/3/20 with some type of duplicate card. Guess what the Bank doesn't accept any responsibility this B22000 loss and their poor security of her account. This can happen to you I'd say move it or you can lose it too.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Doubtful as in my experience most have SMS alert the moment anything goes in or out.

Doubtful, unless of course it happens to you.

And how does SMS stop you from being defrauded?

2 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Doubtful, unless of course it happens to you.

And how does SMS stop you from being defrauded?

It alerts you to the movement, not leaving you to discover it sometime later. Therefore you can take steps to prevent further issues/loss as happened in the OP.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, transam said:

At BKK Bank it costs me 15 baht a month to be told about money going in or out via SMS......????

10 baht on TMB and no cross atm fees or out of province charges either. ????????

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Doubtful as in my experience most have SMS alert the moment anything goes in or out.

Not necessarily, I don't have sms alerts, i get free alerts when i access a banks website.

It's worth getting a banks mobile app on your phone and you can check every few days or so or subscribe for sms, usually 200+ baht a year.

Chip cards won't be skimmed but even better using cardless withdrawals is safe

Edited by scubascuba3

1 hour ago, RogerT2 said:

My thai GF had B25000 in her acct 28/2/20 11 days later finds only 3100 left, 7 transactions happened in Singapore on 4/3/20 with some type of duplicate card. Guess what the Bank doesn't accept any responsibility this B22000 loss and their poor security of her account. This can happen to you I'd say move it or you can lose it too.

Your story does not work. Too many holes in it. Actually looks like a swiss cheese. Listen here 28/2 2020 your GF have an account with 25k baht. Suddenly 11 says later there is only 3 100 left. The money was stolen by transactions made in Singapore 4/3 2020 with some kind of duplicate card. Really?

Only two questions:

Was you GF in Singapore and took out the money?

Do your GF have a duplicate card that she have registered with the bank and given to somebody else?

If none of the questions is answered with a YES, then the bank have no chance to run away from reposibility. Either you or your GF is telling porkies, or you are letting the bank get away with their responsibility. What is it?

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Correct, however you have to choose whether you want sms to your phone via your internet banking, my understanding is it is not automatic on opening an account. I have this feature with KTB only because I checked a box on my internet banking to make it happen.

Something is wrong here. Another card,,,,, who else knew the pin & in Singapore ?

Does she have the card ? Has it been on a holiday ?

Having all types of accounts with KTB for 30 years & travel through SEA never been ripped off for one BHT

With the current situation is your money safe in any Thai bank at the moment , if all the local businesses are shut down then the bank is not getting any new income will the ATMs dry up and if a Thai bank goes belly up how much are we covered for in the U.K. it’s £80,000 . These are worrying times especially when the government are drip feeding the information I would hate to lose my 800,000 baht that's kept in the bank for years yearly extension.

I don't trust this bank. it took me 5 years to get interest from the.

I spoke to 3 senior bank employees that all told me foreigners can't get interest.

I had to go to a former Minister of Finance to get this sorted out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Something is wrong here. Another card,,,,, who else knew the pin & in Singapore ?

Does she have the card ? Has it been on a holiday ?

Having all types of accounts with KTB for 30 years & travel through SEA never been ripped off for one BHT

Her husband perhaps?

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

With the current situation is your money safe in any Thai bank at the moment , if all the local businesses are shut down then the bank is not getting any new income will the ATMs dry up and if a Thai bank goes belly up how much are we covered for in the U.K. it’s £80,000 . These are worrying times especially when the government are drip feeding the information I would hate to lose my 800,000 baht that's kept in the bank for years yearly extension.

Putting 800.000 or 400.000 into a Thai bank for your annual extension is crazy when there are other ways, or you

could join the "scared of your own shadow" brigade.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I don't trust this bank. it took me 5 years to get interest from the.

I spoke to 3 senior bank employees that all told me foreigners can't get interest.

I had to go to a former Minister of Finance to get this sorted out.

KTB only issues interests to foreigners with a work permit. That is just their policy, and it is clearly stated, don’t see why you would lose trust in them over that.

Probably you speak zero Thai and did not research the issue before going to the bank, and that is why it took you 5 years to get this sorted out.

On 3/18/2020 at 1:52 PM, RogerT2 said:

Guess what the Bank doesn't accept any responsibility

I think they would only say that, if the physical card was used with chip and the 6-digit PIN.

It’s highly unlikely that someone was actually able to make a copy of your girlfriend’s card with a functioning chip, and also obtain her 6-digit PIN.

You should press the bank on details: Where exactly in Singapore was it used (which shops)? Was it used with chip and PIN, signature only, etc.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lkn said:

KTB only issues interests to foreigners with a work permit. That is just their policy, and it is clearly stated, don’t see why you would lose trust in them over that.

Probably you speak zero Thai and did not research the issue before going to the bank, and that is why it took you 5 years to get this sorted out.

Nonsense, I'd love to see that policy, in Thai or English.

I how you didn't fall for that excuse. 

I've had a WP for 25 years. I read and speak fluent Thai. I can't wait until I get Thai citizenship in a few months, I'll be giving that branch some <deleted>. 

You know what they say about assumptions. 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Nonsense, I'd love to see that policy, in Thai or English.

I how you didn't fall for that excuse. 

Here’s the full policy in both Thai and English (I originally only mentioned work permit, but there are four qualifying factors, none of them apply to a “normal tourist” though).

image.thumb.png.01ec8aff6c9f793f66e76cab9bf5654f.png

I've had a WP for 25 years. I read and speak fluent Thai

In that case, I’m puzzled it took you five years to achieve your goal of getting interests for your account. I’ve had dozens of encounters with the staff at various KTB branches, and I have always found them extremely helpful (helping me setup accounts for friends, getting letter of recommendation, summing up money from abroad for real estate purchase, etc.), it was in fact in one of these encounters, that they explained the interest policy, when a friend with work permit, was setting up their account.

I'll be giving that branch some <deleted>.

Well, maybe with that attitude, I can understand why they are not giving you A+ service… ????

Edited by lkn

11 minutes ago, lkn said:

Here’s the full policy in both Thai and English (I originally only mentioned work permit, but there are four qualifying factors, none of them apply to a “normal tourist” though).

image.thumb.png.01ec8aff6c9f793f66e76cab9bf5654f.png

In that case, I’m puzzled it took you five years to achieve your goal of getting interests for your account. I’ve had dozens of encounters with the staff at various KTB branches, and I have always found them extremely helpful (helping me setup accounts for friends, getting letter of recommendation, summing up money from abroad for real estate purchase, etc.), it was in fact in one of these encounters, that they explained the interest policy, when a friend with work permit, was setting up their account.

Well, maybe with that attitude, I can understand why they are not giving you A+ service… ????

Firstly, there's no need for a  condescending attitude. The bank manager has a little scam going, like many do Thailand. As I was in the process of getting Thai citizenship, I didn't want to rock the boat. All the foreigners at my work hadn't received any interest for over 10 years, despite having to show their WPs when opening the account. When I got them to start giving all us interest, I was fired(not that that bothered me). I was pleaded to to not ask make a formal complaint asking for back interest as the guy would lose his job(and probably go to jail). You might let people get away with this fraud, like many take it up the $#%% farang, but I don't like being stolen from and intend to see justice done. 

Secondly, you stated that "KTB only issues interests to foreigners with a work permit." which I said was nonsense, which it is. Just admit you got it wrong.

Of course tourists can't even open an account and were not mentioned. Did you really think I was a  tourist after saying it took me 5 years to get it sorted out?

Although I have a mortgage with another branch of KTB, this bank are extremely racist and discriminate against foreigners in many areas, which I can't be bothered writing about as I've wasted enough time replying to you.

• Thanks 1