Antiviral drug on the way from China

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

In the government's Emergency Operations Department best case scenario 400,000 people will be infected. So with

200,000 tablets of Favipiravir they will get half a tab each.

Global figures show 80% of people who get infected only show mild symptoms and recover at home. For many others treating the underlying issues is effective.

Not down playing a pandemic but will they all need the drug?

Lets not feed the panic......

48 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

And Western media are too focused on breaking a story first to do ant research. 

The Chinese use all our flaws against us with precision. 

They are winning the propaganda war against us. 

Good, ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

What about face-masks, can you still find it in China?

It is difficult to find N95 mask in Thailand.

plenty of paper/cloth supply.  don't know about n95.  honestly haven't been looking.  i don't have the virus, nor am i a doctor.  i just have the paper masks for street theater.  makes the locals "feel" safe.

they did re-purpose some of the cellphone factories with clean rooms to manufacture masks, but i think those were all directed to wuhan or to health centers.

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If it is really effective, why didn't China use it to prevent 3000 deaths in the last 2.5 months?

i assume it took some time to complete the study.  perhaps they weren't immediately aware that particular drug by itself or in combination with others would be an effective treatment.  perhaps they weren't ready to use it on patients without some sort of clinical trial.  the bulk of the deaths in wuhan may have occurred before they were ready to authorize use.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

In the government's Emergency Operations Department best case scenario 400,000 people will be infected. So with

Best  case  scenario over  12  months !  Is the supply a  one off?

Worse may happen but  why  presume  negativity?

47 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Best  case  scenario over  12  months !  Is the supply a  one off?

Worse may happen but  why  presume  negativity?

Because it's the new rock'n'roll, It doesnt matter what happens, their own script is already written.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

Because it's the new rock'n'roll, It doesnt matter what happens, their own script is already written.

Think about this.

Human beings learn from experience. So learn.

Think back. When was the last time the Thai government had a outstanding success - with anything.

Still feel confident or running for the hills?

Seems it was only tested on 340 patients?

Zhang Xinmin, an official at China’s science and technology ministry, said favipiravir, developed by a subsidiary of Fujifilm, had produced encouraging outcomes in clinical trials in Wuhan and Shenzhen involving 340 patients.

1 hour ago, ParkerN said:

Think about this.

Human beings learn from experience. So learn.

Think back. When was the last time the Thai government had a outstanding success - with anything.

Still feel confident or running for the hills?

Neither, nobody I know has got it, nobody you know has got it, it's just a lot of noise about nothing.

Its the flu.

\

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

am i missing something here .... there is currently NO vaccine for COVID-19. 

Favipiravir will be useless  .... ?   

The presumption is these are general antiviral medicines which theoretically could help (not cure, not immunize).

This drug only works on people really not too badly infected with the illness - sort of mild symptoms. If you are heavily infected it is pretty useless.

Since most people will not present themselves until later in the infection, those tablets will now be used only for the hi-so people getting the snivels !

And as another poster says with 400,000 potential infected that 200k is not enough. If the tablets  - like HIV - have to be taken over a period of time - even if only for say a week - that 200k now becomes enough for 20,000 for 10 days. If 200,000 get it, they will have enough treatment for 1 day - if 400,000 then they either break the tablet in half or fight over it and then die tomorrow !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Arkady said:

Presumably the drug will be used on severe cases. The 400,000 figure seems to be total cases, most of which may not be severe.

question is, howdid they come up with the 400k figure and is it likely to be accurate?

All crazy plans. 

Remember, the government said it will not accept, rip off prices.

Guess what. Regular paper masks as in hospital used are sold for 100 Baht for 5 pieces. 

Production price is approx. 0.5 Baht.

Crazy!!!! Seen by myself in Happyland Bangkapi. All the same price level.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

If it is really effective, why didn't China use it to prevent 3000 deaths in the last 2.5 months?

I’m sure that they did use it, perhaps not in the early days. And by various accounts, it has been effective in a number of cases. But that isn’t to say that it’s a 100% fool proof “cure”. If it were, there would be no deaths anywhere. But that doesn’t mean that it can’t help in some cases.

Is the minister saying that one tablet per person is sufficient to eradicate the virus?

Really?

All my life, I have needed a course of tablets to eradicate some illness or other.

Yet China has already established a kind of one tablet vaccine?

Does the Chinese population know this?

Have they all had it?

Has Covid been eradicated in China?

Wow! We are all saved!

12 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Anutin's strong point is obviously not mathematics. We have a pandemic and this is the best man they could find for the job?

but his company was involved in building Suvarnabhumi AP...

11 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Great business plan. Cause a problem and then sell the solution. Been quite a few movies made based on this premise. Kingsman  -The Golden Circle comes to mind.

The Book is called The Eyes of Darkness by Dean Koontz 1981 maybe they will make that into a Movie? ????

Dean-Koontz-The-Eyes-of-Darkness-Coronav