Panic buying in Bangkok: Shopping frenzy before shutters come down

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Ah those city folk. They embraced Suthep , they embraced the Bangkok shutdown , they embraced the end of democracy, they embraced the junta.

Now they are running around like headless chickens because their beloved leader and his lackies were busy sucking up to their Chinese financiers instead of acting whilst they had time.

So much for the superior educated urbanites. Not so elite or educated after all.

The yellows in my wife's social circle are turning with a ferocity like I have never seen before and they were superannuated arris-lickers before. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

everything OK in Thailand. Sure.

was at  Bluport yesterday, everything fine the big  food  mall downstairs w as 100%  stocked went on to Market  village  same same..............bought two pairs of non edible trousers although with a  fine chianti I could  have a  nibble

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

I forced mine to buy some extras, but she didn't get many and did so under protest muttering something like 'it won't happen in Thailand' - she hasn't started to use them yet.

I, on the other hand did a weekly shop multiple times a week starting back in mid February.

You forced her????

That really must be you in your profile picture.

42 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

You forced her????

That really must be you in your profile picture.

Lol, I firmly demanded she choose and I'd pay for it, she wouldn't buy them on her own accord and would end up with very little, at which point I suspect she would start to appreciate foreign food a lot more.

The guy in my profile pic is 'William Wilberforce'.

There were super long queue's in Tops...so we didn't shop anything....all the usual bs which slows down the process of paying...mee the one card mai? Then the showing of cellphones for discount offers, more waiting for credit card bs, the no have bag thing and so on.....

They should open cashiers for cash only and without bs so paying can go faster.

• Thanks 1

What goes for Bangkok will go for CM, sooner or later. This morning at Makro say three times the normal amount of customers for crack of dawn shopping (Yes I usually shop at this time) . Most people up  here expect a self isolation thing is going to happen.

20 hours ago, samsensam said:

except the supermarket section, drug stores and food stalls that provide takeout menus.

so why the panic? all that panic buying will achieve is creating needless shortages. aint humanity great.

So nice that Thai behavior re panic buying is the opposite of what the Junta said a day ago. A lawless country.

15 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

I think we can confidently say (if there is a TVF next year) that POTY won't go native again. Farang no get tricked second time mahk mahk. 

yep,  maybe time for that happy model from ban nork  to get his wish.   Sure seems to make

those winners feel soooo good.  Sure .   

now i know how the phrase " yeah, he's a real winner"  originated .  (  thesaurus of sarcastic phrases)

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Still too many articles and  personal pronouns;
make an effort NCC1701A  :crazy:

Grammar seems to have gone to pot all over the place here and just because the world as we know it is ending ,  it is no excuse for sloppy posts. Apostrophes are a real horror show. That said I've just pushed Netiquette Rule 3. 

3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native English speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Youlike said:

There were super long queue's in Tops...so we didn't shop anything....all the usual bs which slows down the process of paying...mee the one card mai? Then the showing of cellphones for discount offers, more waiting for credit card bs, the no have bag thing and so on.....

They should open cashiers for cash only and without bs so paying can go faster.

This is what data phones are for. On a day I'm going to shop I try to avoid looking at "news" sites till  I get in such a line. A few days ago in Tops a cashier couldn't find the price for a sport water bottle and I swear we all stood there for a solid 10 minutes till someone came up with it.

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The fresh food vendors? Vegetables and fruit, or the precooked stuff that sits in the sun for a day and breeds up bacteria?

Obviously doesn't make the Thais ill. I've never got sick from street food that I can recall. I live here and buy meals in the street and tiny less than sterile restaurants all the time.

Maybe try your home country.

On 3/21/2020 at 4:59 PM, NCC1701A said:

everything OK in Thailand. Sure.

It's all under control... we had the word from the top man... 

Keep your chin up in HH... I'm in bordering nakhon Pathom, listed today as a shut down province.

On 3/21/2020 at 5:15 PM, samsensam said:

except the supermarket section, drug stores and food stalls that provide takeout menus.

so why the panic? all that panic buying will achieve is creating needless shortages. aint humanity great.

Yes mate you spot on why? But it dont help media fanning the fire Anything to boost newspaper sales

3 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native English speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

Fixed it up for ya bro'.

3. If possible, please proofread your post first. Poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However, be aware that not every member is a native English speaker, and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar, not only hijack the topic, but are poor netiquette.

WHY, for God's sake why?  Customers are creating their own shortages.  It's happening in the UK big time.  I watched a vid of a health worker having just completed a 12 hour shift, crying because she couldn't get basic supplies to last her for the next 48 hours.

There's absolutely no excuse for this panic.  Unlike governments, the big supermarkets planned for situations such as this after the last epidemic.  They have ensured that they have months of supply.  Their problem is the logistics of getting produce from the warehouses to the shelves in the shops.

Thankfully, in Hua Hin, there is no sign of 'panic buying',...... yet.  The supermarkets are well stocked.  Shelves are full and as far as I'm aware, no shortages or long queues.

It could change, but it's up to the people to behave sensibly.

Edited by HHTel
spelling

These reports are gross exaggerations. I'd say there's been no widespread panic buying in Bangkok, I've been to several supermarkets and 7/11s and they've all been well stocked (as recently as today). I wonder if those news "reports" FUEL panic in the first place.

Shelves very well stocked in Chiang Mai, ditto for fresh markets.

Grabbed a pizza and headed to Rimping in Meechok today. The only sign of panic buying was in the Japanese aisle. The Japanese left the shelves bare of their curry. 

Other than that, some rice, some cooking oil was gone but still plenty of everything else, even instant noodles.

On 3/21/2020 at 6:00 PM, balo said:

Not if they are located inside a mall. 

Huh? Supermarkets are mostly located in some sort of mall. All the other shops in the mall will be shuttered but the supermarket won't be.

Just thinking about being able to park right beside the entrance is getting me excited already.