The week that was in Thailand news: Why for most of us, this war is highly personal

rooster59

My mother-in-law managed a business that depended solely on tourists. She has worked there for over 30 years. 

Yesterday, they shuttered the place for good. The business owner could no longer make rent.

Besides her, there are close to 50 others now without income.

Edited by Curt1591
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

18 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

If Thailand decides to go 'full on' and close everything, then there are several potential problems which arise. 

the issue isnt what the current idiot govt does but their ability to do Anything well; consequential decisions on consequential decisions; could they actually make things worse ? SURE

My Thai GF and I are fairly well insulated in Chiang Rai. The authorities have limited shutdown here to the Night Bazaar, everything else is open. Including the beer bars on Jedyod Road.

Straws in the wind though, very few customers in Big C. My GF tells me many people here have no work, no money.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, timendres said:

It is not a war, it is a pandemic. And we have professionals who are specifically educated and trained on how to manage pandemics

Really? Are you sure? Then how come Dr. Fauci threw up his hands during his testimony in Congress and bemoaned, "But we're not set up for this"? Him the Director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) admits to the american people that his organization, along with the CDC, are not set up to protect the nation people's health. So what are they set up for? Prepping Melania's Brazilian Wax? No wonder he has to hide his face nowadays whenever appearing on-stage among Trump Covid "task force." Dear Dr. Fauci, we would never have thought you would have sunk this low. The poor man looks like a convict.

fauci1.jpg

fauci2.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, watthong said:

Really? Are you sure? Then how come Dr. Fauci threw up his hands during his testimony in Congress and bemoaned, "But we're not set up for this"? Him the Director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) admits to the american people that his organization, along with the CDC, are not set up to protect the nation people's health. So what are they set up for? Prepping Melania's Brazilian Wax? No wonder he has to hide his face nowadays whenever appearing on-stage among Trump Covid "task force." Dear Dr. Fauci, we would never have thought you would have sunk this low. The poor man looks like a convict.

No question that preparedness is showing a serious gap. Were we prepared for Pearl Harbor? That was war. This is a pandemic. So, I don't want generals, or Mr. Trump, managing it. I want professionals who have some clue as to what should be done going forward allowed to manage that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, timendres said:

No question that preparedness is showing a serious gap. Were we prepared for Pearl Harbor? That was war. This is a pandemic. So, I don't want generals, or Mr. Trump, managing it. I want professionals who have some clue as to what should be done going forward allowed to manage that.

Peoples health and wealth are under threat from the Corona virus hence those making detailed plans in an effort to preserve and protect both health and wealth are at odds with each other as to which priority comes first. This is creating and ever increasing problem as we have seen governments are behind the 8 ball and flip flopping from side to side which has caused decisions to be delayed till the last minute, by which time effective actions have little effect. I feel that success or increasing failure will be determined which advisers Trump chooses to listens to. I also agree he should send the general packing and open his ears to the medical professionals and strategic analysts who I imagine would have told him to close the financial markets and stop all economic activity except for essential services and lock down any areas if needed. This could have happened weeks ago and by doing so saved many lives.As I recall during the 911 crises the NYSX was closed down for a day or two until calm had been partly restored, so why not now? I am curious to know what AI would advise having been load with algorithms set to preserve both health and wealth in equal proportions. AI would say " Whatever ____, _____, followed by Dammed if you do, Dammed if you don't iv'e go my own problems" lol   

17 hours ago, timendres said:

It is so American to bring out the "war" word. As George Carlin once said, "We Americans declare war on everything." It is not a war, it is a pandemic. And we have professionals who are specifically educated and trained on how to manage pandemics. Politicians and policy makers need to listen to these professionals and implement policies on how to minimize the impact on societies and economies. They need to lead, and declaring war does not strike me as leadership.

While you are correct.....these professionals since decades are selected for their political opinion and the policies must fit what looks good.....
Calling it a war is highly dangerous

Anyone who now doubts the seriousness of this situation is a fool & truly deserves all he or she gets, stay at home, order food and drink online and have it delivered.

Catch up with family & friends online, don't expose yourself to unnecessary risk.

See you all on the other side of this problem ???? 

• Like 1

Seems as if your best times in writing are over. Boring as almost (except last week) 

Wasted time to read. 

Maybe its more entertaining why you divorced your first wife and what did you find in your second(?) 

partnership....????

17 hours ago, timendres said:

I would prefer Trump to hillary or biden 

On 3/21/2020 at 6:39 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

An enjoyable read as always, even if the subject matter isn't too cheerful.

Rumak seconds that.  Probably rooster comes the closest to making sense on this forum.

Of course I say that because he agrees with most of what I think.  Or is it vice versa ? 

Anyway, he can write a much longer column than I ever could as my attention span is limited

to two paragraphs .     

17 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I've told her not to come within 5 mtrs of me

She probably already follows that protocol   ????

sorry,  sick times....... sick humor

• Haha 2

Rooster, thanks for keeping us informed, this week will be even worse than last as Thailand and many other countries will have more virus cases and more deaths.  It seems like Iran is having a

very bleak time as well as Italy, I wonder why?  In Canada there are still some people having

weddings of 40 or more people, with no one wearing masks, which in my opinion is a very

foolish, and selfish attitude to have. The spokesman could not see what the problem was.

He said, after all this event was planned months ago and there were guests from

other places and other countries who were attending,  and they simply could not cancel.

I hope that everyone starts taking this situation more seriously.

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889
errors