Getting your medications without travelling - options

Sheryl

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

http://www.pmlive.com/pharma_news/xarelto_no_better_than_aspirin_in_secondary_stroke_study_1207165

Is there some reason you need a drug costing $500/month, when aspirin at $2 for 60 is supposedly just as good?

Interesting information- thanks for posting it;  I haven’t been able to get overseas to see my GP for virtually 3 years due to Covid but I’ll certainly ask his opinion. I wonder what strength the aspirin should be? There was a comment right at the bottom of the article that stated Xarelto plus aspirin was the best bet, however;  all a bit confusing and because of the  underlying seriousness of heart issues I’ll certainly take it further.

thanks again!

10 hours ago, Bogbrush said:

My problem revolves around two drugs:  Xarelto, which are roughly 4 times the overseas price, and sleeping pills - Zolpidem - which are virtually nonexistent in Thailand. 200 baht/30 overseas, here a doctor offered a strip at 80 baht a tablet…

Zolpidem is now off market in Thailand though some hospitals still have stock. There is no less expensive legal way to get it here.

Xarelto, see this thread on some sources and costs 
https://aseannow.com/topic/1169080-xarelto-available-in-thailand/

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

http://www.pmlive.com/pharma_news/xarelto_no_better_than_aspirin_in_secondary_stroke_study_1207165

Is there some reason you need a drug costing $500/month, when aspirin at $2 for 60 is supposedly just as good?

Aspirin is in no way an adequate substitute for Xarelto

If cost is a barrier best low cost substitute would be warfarin but will require frequent blood testing so much less convenient, and it also has a somewhat lower safety profile.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I am American and have several Mental Disorders that I have finally gotten under complete control with very specific medications. I work as a digital artist and own my own company and would like to move to Thailand (but money is a little tight because my company is a startup)

I assume I can get most of my medication as they are generics. The one I am worried about is Latuda 120mg and the cost of it and if I should get private insurance to cover that cost.

Thank you for your help!

1 hour ago, Nexomnix said:

Hello! I am American and have several Mental Disorders that I have finally gotten under complete control with very specific medications. I work as a digital artist and own my own company and would like to move to Thailand (but money is a little tight because my company is a startup)

I assume I can get most of my medication as they are generics. The one I am worried about is Latuda 120mg and the cost of it and if I should get private insurance to cover that cost.

Thank you for your help!

1. Latuda is not available at all in Thailand. Not approved for use here.

2. Cannot assume your other meds are avaiolable either (or, if they are, they might be restricted and only available from a hospital after consulting a doctor). To be sure please list what these are.

3. You will not be able to get an insurance policy that covers anything related to a pre-existing condition. In your case any insurer is likely to exclude all mental health related issues. In addition, outpatient cover is usually more expensive than it is worth in Thailand. Most of us just get inpatient cover. OPD cover almost doubles premium costs. (You should, however, not come here without an inpatient policy).

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2021 at 12:48 AM, Sheryl said:

Aspirin is in no way an adequate substitute for Xarelto

If cost is a barrier best low cost substitute would be warfarin but will require frequent blood testing so much less convenient, and it also has a somewhat lower safety profile.

Hey, I looked up Thai FDA website.
The generic brands of Xarelto that have been registered are Rivarox, Noblexa and Rivoxan.
Doesn't mean that they would be available in any pharmacy though. Sometimes the company just registered the meds and never really sell them. But I do see Rivarox in some hospitals though.
So ask around for these brand might save you more or less

• 9 months later...
On 3/23/2020 at 10:11 AM, Russell17au said:

He has consulted a local doctor when he first moved to Thailand and that doctor told him that those certain medications were not available in Thailand, and for him not to change his medication and to return to Australia for the medication that is not available here, that local doctor is American trained and much respected.

"American trained"! It's becoming impossible to find a doctor trained in Thailand these days, if you believe the myth believers!

On 8/24/2021 at 8:50 AM, lopburi3 said:

Or even more for less expensive drugs - but for high priced imports find markup much less and normally about 1 1/2 times drug store price (if you can find in drug store).  So if one off might be worth using hospital IMHO.  Being treated like a baby killer if asking for aspirin at drug stores did not make for pleasant outings.  In my case insurance makes it more of a wash and a lot easier to use hospital.  

"Being treated like a baby killer when asking for aspirin"! Scary reaction.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/24/2022 at 9:10 AM, briofoz said:

Mirabegron 25mg Extended Release, anyone here use it, is there availability in Thailand?

It is used to treat an over active bladder.

It is available here under brand name Betmiga

• 3 months later...
On 3/22/2020 at 11:23 AM, ezzra said:

Not sure i thai medicines can trusted to be the real McCoy and not the local version, seen it before, also, some specialty meds will probably not available here if they do their cost would be enough to make sick...

Then it would seem you are buggered. 

56 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

What is involved in importing a prescription drug (testosterone enanthate) from overseas for personal use. with prescription in hand? 

Drugs must be imported by a firm with an import lisence.  Prescription means nothing.  That said many drugs do arrive in normal low value post office packages.

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Drugs must be imported by a firm with an import lisence.  Prescription means nothing.  That said many drugs do arrive in normal low value post office packages.

However if you're only talking about bringing in small quantities for personal use, handcarrying medicines into Thailand usually goes unchallenged.

19 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I'm talking about having a prescription drug that my US doctor has provided a prescription for, shipped to me in Thailand.  An import license is certainly not required for that, so my question remains unanswered..

Edited by WaveHunter

un

6 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

However if you're only talking about bringing in small quantities for personal use, handcarrying medicines into Thailand usually goes unchallenged.

I am already in Thailand; the package would be delivered by post or courier.

10 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I'm talking about having a prescription drug that my US doctor has provided a prescription for, shipped to me in Thailand.  An import license is certainly not required for that, so my question remains unanswered..

It is indeed required for that.  

4 hours ago, decline said:

what's happened to the Medtide website? I used to get Gabapentin off there cheap

any alternatives not in the OP?

Not sure what you mean, the Medtide site still works. But you have to log in first.

An additional option is https://medisafepharma.com/

On that site, use the Messenger function, the web site search function doesn't work.

Medtide and Medisafe both have large selection, more than Bangkokdrugstore.

Which one is cheaper varies depending on what brands they happen to have on hand at the time.

If you are located in Bangkok there are some good large pharmacies which sell gabapentin local brands.

39 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Medtide and Medisafe both have large selection, more than Bangkokdrugstore.

Very true but have found Bangkokdrugstore willing to obtain/provide medications not listed on web site, and in one case one of the others said it was not available but Bangkokdrugstore provided (opalmon 5ug).

1 hour ago, decline said:

there's no option to search for goods anymore

Yes there is. I do it all the time. 

But you have to log in first. 

And the box to type in your search term is not well labeled. 

On Friday I will collect 3 months worth of medicines ( diabetes and blood pressure) from the local hospital pharmacy, "GPO" branded.

I will then compare the price with that quoted in the links you have given.

It will be interesting...

Of course what I don't know is what would be charged by the pharmacy at a private hospital. I do recall that when I switched from the big private hospital in Chiang Rai to my local government hospital my medication bill went down by about 50%.

Edited by herfiehandbag

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Yes there is. I do it all the time. 

But you have to log in first. 

And the box to type in your search term is not well labeled. 

yes, I remember being it like that before, but now I just get this (logged in)

q1W3e0N.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=gran