Immigration Is Allowing 30 Day Extensions Of Entries (memorandum dated 18/03)

1 hour ago, UdonRoy said:

Just came out of Udon IO. They said I must have the letter from the British embassy, no if's no buts. 

I was also told to overstay at the cost of 500baht a day until I can produce said letter! 

Trying to contact them via phone and mail but no joy with that. 

Did you show the police order to them?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, elviajero said:

If the country goes into lockdown, which it probably will, they will want to know the whereabouts of every foreigner, and IMO many overstayers will get caught in those circumstances.

People without long term visa options should leave.

It is irresponsible to recommend/suggest overstaying as an option. End of!

I'm on your side. Overstaying is not an option. Fact.

BUT the foreigners who can't leave or don't want to for what ever reason (maybe they are old and in worry to get infected) need to have a solution. This virus is worldwide and sending any foreigners now in any country seems not a good option. From the way to the airport to the flight. Not now and I think not in a few month. I mean I can understand that they would like to avoid it. Would you do it?  I hope we don't have to go through this.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The risk of flying is far less than the risk of being held in the IDC for weeks/months. Fact.

Yes how about sticking to the facts, https://tratimmigration.com/thailand-visa-overstay-regulations/

If you are caught overstaying by an Immigration officer, then it can result in being taken to jail if you are not able to pay the fine or have a long overstay.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Did you show the police order to them?

Good question... the memorandum specifically states 11 countries (including England) who this order applies too. It says nothing about getting a letter from the British Embassy?image.png.3316eeb2050c84608d0afe5248956e

44 minutes ago, PST said:

46 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You did. And did not make it clear the qualification for the extension.

nope, incorrect, but thanks

“IMO if you have the option under your normal visa conditions to extend either by 60 days due to not being able to do a borders run, “

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

“IMO if you have the option under your normal visa conditions to extend either by 60 days due to not being able to do a borders run, “

so anyone who is due to do a 90 day border run, but can't, can extend for 60 days based on visiting thai spouse or child. Correct or not?

On 3/22/2020 at 1:15 PM, KhunKenAP said:

However, going to the Thai Immigration office could expose you the virus. Why force people to go to a crowded office full of potential carriers? Just make it automatic and check on departure.

Because every tourist is not affected by the Coronavirus and can still get back home 

9 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Yes how about sticking to the facts, https://tratimmigration.com/thailand-visa-overstay-regulations/

Also from you link:

‘The good news is that if your overstay is under 90 days and you  pay the fine  then leave the country then you won’t have any problem returning to Thailand at a future date.  There won’t be any black mark next to your name.’

not the best but still the option

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, bestie said:

I'm on your side. Overstaying is not an option. Fact.

BUT the foreigners who can't leave or don't want to for what ever reason (maybe they are old and in worry to get infected) need to have a solution.

Can’t leave is completely different to don’t want to leave, and they have a solution for the former.

This virus is worldwide and sending any foreigners now in any country seems not a good option.

The advice from most countries is for their nationals to return home.

From the way to the airport to the flight. Not now and I think not in a few month. I mean I can understand that they would like to avoid it. Would you do it?  I hope we don't have to go through this.  

If I didn’t have long term visa options I’d be on the first plane out. Those that have long term options have no immigration worries and many currently have the choice over which country they want to hold-up in.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PST said:

just seen this on another forum,,,,seems to be a standard letter for US citizens

90146562_10157280717086094_3122150540805406720_o.jpg

That's absolutely marvellous. With this letter, immigration should accept an application under clause 2 of the Memorandum even though there still are flights to the USA.

1 minute ago, Maestro said:

That's absolutely marvellous. With this letter, immigration should accept an application under clause 2 of the Memorandum even though there still are flights to the USA.

Unfortunately no @Maestro. Best anyone got was 7 days at CW with multiple people rejected. IOs demanded personal notarized letters when the Embassy is closed for appointments.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PST said:

so anyone who is due to do a 90 day border run, but can't, can extend for 60 days based on visiting thai spouse or child. Correct or not?

Correct.

But your original post did not make the qualification clear and implied it was available because the applicant was unable to do a border run.

I’m simply clarifying your post for other members.

On 3/22/2020 at 1:15 PM, KhunKenAP said:

However, going to the Thai Immigration office could expose you the virus. Why force people to go to a crowded office full of potential carriers? Just make it automatic and check on departure.

this is Thailand were simplicity of logic is like non existent, and as with many gang land masses around the globe ‘humanity’ is an ego thing, as compared to it flowing from the soul. 

Hum, funny thing about the SARS CoVid 2 that it’s not actually a living organism. In other words it’s ‘dead, not living’. 

not making any related reference but hey that’s up to the individual.  

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, bangkokboy888 said:

this letter was previously posted a few pages ago by PST. 

if other users would stop commenting about disease spread, we can more easily keep the information in this forum organized as many of us (including myself) are using this as our only information source to remain in thailand. 

i went to chaengwattana personally this morning with letter in hand but was denied a 30 day extension (given 7 days) because the require a letter that has your individual name on it. 

from my telephone call subsequent to denial: american citizen services section out of usa embassy is working on protocols to issue individual original letters with names on them since they have received a number of reports of denials with this generic letter

just sent photo of my bio/data sheet to embassy with request for another letter- see what happens

13 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Also from you link:

‘The good news is that if your overstay is under 90 days and you  pay the fine  then leave the country then you won’t have any problem returning to Thailand at a future date.  There won’t be any black mark next to your name.’

not the best but still the option

ONLY if you make it to the airport!

I’m advising the consequences of getting caught before getting to the airport!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 1:42 PM, Canuck1966 said:

Why not do what the South Koreans did and just give everybody amnesties for a period of time?

So has France in respect of long stay ( over 90 days) visas. Not clear to me yet what you do if you are in an EU country on an expiring Schengen short stay( 90 days) visa...the whole of Schengen has to decide on that I guess, not just individual countries.

15 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

For sure overstaying is a last resort. What is the word on the proposal by the tourism minister to decriminalize overstay during this crisis?

It’s not a criminal offence. 

They have announced extension options to avoid overstay. Choosing not to leave is not the same as not being able to leave.

15 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Not sure a generic letter will be accepted in all cases. The embassy should be making a request specifically for their national.

5 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It’s not a criminal offence. 

They have announced extension options to avoid overstay. Choosing not to leave is not the same as not being able to leave.

what options exactly did they announce? Getting a letter from the embassy which refuses to provide it? 

On 3/22/2020 at 1:24 PM, jackdd said:

Imho this is only for citizens from countries listed on this document. But they didn't write this really clear, so could also be for everybody, but to be sure we have to wait for reports from people next week.

Lol also putting down England instead of UK. Netherlands not even on here but Germany is...LOL

8 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Thanks @artiz BP links will be deleted by mods I think. So when and for how long will this go into effect and does this also mean that criminal penalties will be voided. That article is from January 27, 2020. Is it still valid for all of us?

They are talking of people being stuck in the airport or unable to leave. The bloke caught - on overstay - in a bar has the same risks of overstay prosecution as before if they haven’t applied for an available extension.

Thanks Ubonjoe for posting this.

You may recall that I previously posted that I can in on a non O multi based on marriage just before the visa came to its end date. I got the 90 day permission to stay which expires on 10 April.

Had intended to obtain new non O multi based on marriage from Savanakhet but I understand Laos has closed the Friendship Bridge 2 border post there and will not issue the necessary entry visa either there or as e-visa online. Also understood that the Savanakhet Consulate now want a Covid free medical certificate and insurance covering Covid illness. Both of these are almost certainly in practical terms impossible to obtain and/ or hugely expensive. What insurer in their right mind would offer this cover now? So these requirements are as good as saying " no visa and no re entry in to Thailand".

My next option then, before this 30 day Covid extension seemed to me to berths 60 day extension on my current permission which I should obtain at my local IO in Kalasin. Is that right?

If so I would be grateful if you are able to point me to link to  the official Thai regulations on this, if you have it. In Thai and English would be great!! Thanks.

I don't want to end up with an emergency Covid extension now when I can get a 60 day one and if necessary at the end of that the Covid 30 day one.

In all the chaos I thought best to go along armed with chapter and verse to avoid that risk!!

Cheers!