Immigration Is Allowing 30 Day Extensions Of Entries (memorandum dated 18/03)

1 minute ago, Maestro said:

Thailand does not have notaries.

When the Thai govt uses that language in an Immigration context, they mean an official document hand signed and stamped by a consul at the person's Embassy/Consulate.

There are attorneys in Thailand who ACT as notaries for other purposes, even though Thailand isn't a signatory to the international notary scheme. But that kind of notarization isn't what Thai Immigration wants or is looking for.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2020 at 2:07 PM, jackdd said:

Ubonjoe thinks for all, i think only for people from the listed countries.

Tomorrow, or in a few days, we will see who is right. Today it's just guessing because the document is not 100% clear.

Upfront apologies but; re the document is not 100% clear. 

What else would you expect from these bozos? 

Is there anything they have every announced and or released in the past that has ever been clear; their statements are always full of inconsistencies, confusion and misinterpretations.  

God help us during this period of this global pandemic crisis; as it seems that Thai Immigration is clueless on addressing the bigger holistic picture of all visa renewal issues.

• Like 2

US citizen, entered on a 30 day visa exemption. Later I applied for and received a 30 day extension of stay at Udon Thani immigration office.

Plan was to do a border run to Laos or Cambodia and obtain a new visa exemption valid until my scheduled flight home in May. That's not possible now.

My flight route to return to the US involved make a connecting flight in Taipei, Taiwan. That's currently not permissable as Taiwan has recently prohibited non-national passengers from transiting their airports.

I sent an email to the US Embassy today explaining my situation in detail and included a photo copy of my passport. I requested a letter that I could present to the Immigration office for use in obtaining another 30 day extension of stay. This is the response I received back one hour ago.

No letter!

Thanks to all who have made positive contributions to this thread and others concerning travel issues.

Good luck to everyone.

I will keep searching for a solution to my problem.

Screenshot_20200323-165705.jpeg

Edited by Kivetoruk

8 minutes ago, Kivetoruk said:

US citizen, entered on a 30 day visa exemption. Later I applied for and received a 30 day extension of stay at Udon Thani immigration office.

Plan was to do a border run to Laos or Cambodia and obtain a new visa exemption valid until my scheduled flight home in May. That's not possible now.

My flight route to return to the US involved make a connecting flight in Taipei, Taiwan. That's currently not permissable as Taiwan has recently prohibited non-national passengers from transiting their airports.

I sent an email to the US Embassy today explaining my situation in detail and included a photo copy of my passport. I requested a letter that I could present to the Immigration office for use in obtaining another 30 day extension of stay. This is the response I received back one hour ago.

No letter!

Thanks to all who have made positive contributions to this thread and others concerning travel issues.

Good luck to everyone.

I will keep searching for a solution to my problem.

Screenshot_20200323-165705.jpeg

They told me personal letters will be sent within 72 hours although that was part of the form letter sent.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

They want them notarized by the US Embassy which has closed all appointments due to Covid epidemic.

The embassies could easily postal mail or EMS mail the required letter that Immigration wants... with original signature and stamp. But for some reason, they seem to be trying to go the emailed document route, which Immigration probably isn't going to accept...at least...not at present.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

How can we get the original when they are being e-mailed to us?

There is a book. Catch 22. 

Who was the author? Must of been a Thai or US.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The embassies could easily postal mail or EMS mail the required letter that Immigration wants... with original signature and stamp. But for some reason, they seem to be trying to go the emailed document route, which Immigration probably isn't going to accept...at least...not at present.

Today reports of rejected. More than one imm office.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

That's absolutely marvellous. With this letter, immigration should accept an application under clause 2 of the Memorandum even though there still are flights to the USA.

Not so marvellous after all, because members' posts indicate that the Bangkok immigration office does not accept this US embassy letter as proof of necessity because the letter is generic and does not specify the name of the person for whom the necessity is being certified.

More recently, there is this post where a member got informed by the US that will will give him a personalised letter. Hopefully, immigration will accept this.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1155116-immigration-is-allowing-30-day-extensions-of-entries-memorandum-dated-1803/?do=findComment&comment=15197087

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Not so marvellous after all, because members' posts indicate that the Bangkok immigration office does not accept this US embassy letter as proof of necessity because the letter is generic and does not specify the name of the person for whom the necessity is being certified.

More recently, there is this post where a member got informed by the US that will will give him a personalised letter. Hopefully, immigration will accept this.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1155116-immigration-is-allowing-30-day-extensions-of-entries-memorandum-dated-1803/?do=findComment&comment=15197087

Yes, that's me. I hope so too, but from the photo from Phuket Immigration it appears that many IO will be requesting original documents from the Embassy that e-mailed and printed letter may very well not fulfill. I don't know if we can get the Embassy to EMS us originals.

I have had few kicks on the threads re additional extensions. Perhaps because being on island have seen flip side. Few guys words along lines...."great we can stay longer...no work back home anyway"

The fact is if your flight was not cancelled then you should already be back home. 

5 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

To all Americans reading this thread: I just called the embassy and they asked for me to send a copy of my bio data page and they will write personal letters. I don't know if this will help us when we go to Chaeng Wattana since it will not be notarized. Seems like the emergency decree of the 18th does not apply there.

With "notarized", does the Bangkok immigration office mean that the consul's signature on the embassy letter must be authenticated by  the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA)? If this is the case, the MFA will get overrun with requests for authentication and will hopefully tell the immigration office to stop this nonsense and accept the letters without the MFA's authentication except when they have a good reason to suspect that the consul's signature is fake.

2 minutes ago, Maestro said:

With "notarized", does the Bangkok immigration office mean that the consul's signature on the embassy letter must be authenticated by  the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA)? If this is the case, the MFA will get overrun with requests for authentication and will hopefully tell the immigration office to stop this nonsense and accept the letters without the MFA's authentication except when they have a good reason to suspect that the consul's signature is fake.

I'm not really sure Maestro, but seems they want some kind of original and official document from the Embassy.

Hi, German here, currently in Patong. My Tourist visa ends tomorrow (extended 30 days already). I went to the Patong Immigration today and showed them the Document on page one. They only laughed their ass off and gave me 7 days for 1900 baht.

I was in the German embassy in Phuket this morning. The German Chef their answered me in a strong hard tone that they dont give any documents to extend the stay. The threatment made me feel back in Germany lol. Missed that. Not.

So What's next after 7 days? Overstay and pay 20000 baht at the airport?

Can't you just tell them to call the US embassy if they don't trust the validity of the letter?

Surely that would make more sense than having someone travel 6 hours each way into Bangkok to pick up a letter while potentially coming into contact with infected people.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sele1981 said:

Hi, German here, currently in Patong. My Tourist visa ends tomorrow (extended 30 days already). I went to the Patong Immigration today and showed them the Document on page one. They only laughed their ass off and gave me 7 days for 1900 baht.

I was in the German embassy in Phuket this morning. The German Chef their answered me in a strong hard tone that they dont give any documents to extend the stay. The threatment made me feel back in Germany lol. Missed that. Not.

So What's next after 7 days? Overstay and pay 20000 baht at the airport?

Hi Sele, I'm from Germany too but on another Visa. Yes, unfortunately our German embassy is not giving us any letter to extend our stay.

Die Deutsche Botschaft Bangkok stellt (entgegen anderslautender Informationen in den sozialen Medien) keine Bescheinigungen zur Visa-Verlängerung aus

https://bangkok.diplo.de/th-de/service/aktuelle-informationen/2320408#content_4

All people has this problem right now. The only hope at the moment for us - is that the situation will change in the next few days. I doubt you can't get a flight right now back to Germany or they will cancel it. But it's worth to take look at bsp. Lufthansa. Or consider a flight to another country. Im sorry that you are in this situation. It should not be like that. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bestie said:

Hi Sele, I'm from Germany too but on another Visa. Yes, unfortunately our German embassy is not giving us any letter to extend our stay.

Die Deutsche Botschaft Bangkok stellt (entgegen anderslautender Informationen in den sozialen Medien) keine Bescheinigungen zur Visa-Verlängerung aus

https://bangkok.diplo.de/th-de/service/aktuelle-informationen/2320408#content_4

All people has this problem right now. The only hope at the moment for us - is that the situation will change in the next few days. I doubt you can't get a flight right now back to Germany or they will cancel it. But it's worth to take look at bsp. Lufthansa. Or consider a flight to another country. Im sorry that you are in this situation. It should not be like that. 

Hi Bestie,

thanks. Actually I dont want to go back. My plan was to stay here a few months and do a visa run between. I booked the run to Ranong but they cancelled it on friday. I think it's not safe to fly now. Wait hours in the airport between hundrets of people, then sit with possible infected people.

I am ready to overstay and pay the 20k in case.

But let's hope the situation changes soon and the thai government give visa. But I think they are only after money because they know people have to overstay and pay 500 a day.

8 minutes ago, alw22 said:

Can't you just tell them to call the US embassy if they don't trust the validity of the letter?

Surely that would make more sense than having someone travel 6 hours each way into Bangkok to pick up a letter while potentially coming into contact with infected people.

Ha! That would be work. I don't know how it goes in your country, but in many countries a person tries to get a government office job to do as little work as possible. ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sele1981 said:

Hi Bestie,

thanks. Actually I dont want to go back. My plan was to stay here a few months and do a visa run between. I booked the run to Ranong but they cancelled it on friday. I think it's not safe to fly now. Wait hours in the airport between hundrets of people, then sit with possible infected people.

I am ready to overstay and pay the 20k in case.

But let's hope the situation changes soon and the thai government give visa. But I think they are only after money because they know people have to overstay and pay 500 a day.

I can't recommend overstaying. It's illegal and they can come and deport you, even if some people say it's unlikely, but I would not bet on it. Many people are thinking right now about to overstaying their visa and there is a big discussion about it. 

I can understand that you don't want to go back to Germany and I don't know if you can catch a flight in 7days . It's dangerous for traveling around and we all should stay where we are. Like they said. But overstaying is probably dangerous

They are rumors that there will be a lock down , but nobody knows what will happen in the next days but you can feel there is something coming. We will see how it will affect our visa situation.

Stay save and Viel Glueck . ???? Ich schaue hier immer mal rein wäre schoen von dir wieder zu lesen. 

Lieben Gruß

Edited by bestie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PST said:

just seen this on another forum,,,,seems to be a standard letter for US citizens

90146562_10157280717086094_3122150540805406720_o.jpg

I believe this is a letter intended for Thai officials. It is NOT a letter they provide to US citizens—as the embassy does not give letters to any US citizen to extend their visa because of the pandemic. Even if they did, they aren't taking any appointments now anyway.