Immigration Is Allowing 30 Day Extensions Of Entries (memorandum dated 18/03)

I have a 30 days tourist visa exempt stamp valid until the 28th that I got after a first visa run to Malaysia.
Does it falls into the category 1 without the need of a letter ? As I have a French Passport, I can not get any letter from the embassy.

This visa I got when returning from Malaysia was a mess to get. 3 officers asked me question for 2 hours playing the good guy and the bad guy before finally granting me the access to the country. However at that time they asked me to stay out for 3 months before a new application because they argue that I stay too long and too often with a tourist visa (even if I don't need to work here).
They make everything difficult, and I hope I can get 30 more days as the law says despite their reluctance to have tourist spending money in their now ruined country.

The embassy advised me not to rush now at the immigration office because things are evolving very fast, and it is not a good idea to got to such a potentially infected place. 

2 hours ago, DFM75 said:

I have a 30 days tourist visa exempt stamp valid until the 28th that I got after a first visa run to Malaysia.

It appears that it will be the first extension of your entry which means that you will be getting your allowed extension and it does fall under the  special rules for more than one.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Any updates from folks successfully securing a 2nd extension today with Embassy letter in hand?

really interested to hear about this too. 

today i got my letter from USA embassy via email with my name, passport number and DOB. 

will go to chaengwattana tomorrow to try my luck again

I've got 5-6 first hand reports from Jomtien Immigration that people fully stacked with embassy letters and/or printed flight cancellations only get 7 days extension. 

Either we're in for one of funniest tea-money schemes ever recorded in Pattaya or they just like to work. 

However, what are your experiences of other Immigration? Anything with a 100% hit rate for 30 days? 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, aldriglikvid said:

I've got 5-6 first hand reports from Jomtien Immigration that people fully stacked with embassy letters and/or printed flight cancellations only get 7 days extension. 

Either we're in for one of funniest tea-money schemes ever recorded in Pattaya or they just like to work. 

However, what are your experiences of other Immigration? Anything with a 100% hit rate for 30 days? 

these embassy letters didn't have peoples names on them so immigration rejected them and awarded 7 days extra.

American embassy yesterday started issuing letters with names on them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bangkokboy888 said:

these embassy letters didn't have peoples names on them so immigration rejected them and awarded 7 days extra.

I realize this will not be a concern to USA folk but what about all the folk dealing with embassies that are not providing "letter"

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bangkokboy888 said:

That's really good news but my Swedish and Italian friend was given 7 days (letters had their name and passport numbers on them). 

It's so binary though. The Italian guy was told it was because no color and no color stamp and the Swedish guy was told it was because "can not do". 

Anyways, I'm hoping for the best. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

That's really good news but my Swedish and Italian friend was given 7 days (letters had their name and passport numbers on them). 

It's so binary though. The Italian guy was told it was because no color and no color stamp and the Swedish guy was told it was because "can not do". 

Which office was that ?

8 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

So your Italian friend went with a COPY of the letter right? Because I got an original one from the italian embassy and the stamp is blue! They already said to italians in several IO that they wanted original letter, not copy

8 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

So they rejected the letter from the embassy because its wasnt original and gave him the standard 7 days to leave the Country ? ?

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

So they rejected the letter from the embassy because its wasnt original and gave him the standard 7 days to leave the Country ? ?

Well, thats what I assume. They have been doing that in some offices the past two weeks. Thats why I got mine original. The Italian embassy sent us the letter via email and recommended us not to go pick it up in the embassy, but after reading comments of people given 7 days in their fb page I decided to go pick it up. Anyway, even with the original letter, I have been given a "under consideration" stamp until april 3. So i havent been granted with 30 days extra yet 

ps.: sorry, I thought you were asking me! I realise now the question wasnt for me

Edited by ANDREW999
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ANDREW999 said:

Well, thats what I assume. They have been doing that in some offices the past two weeks. Thats why I got mine original. The Italian embassy sent us the letter via email and recommended us not to go pick it up in the embassy, but after reading comments of people given 7 days in their fb page I decided to go pick it up. Anyway, even with the original letter, I have been given a "under consideration" stamp until april 3. So i havent been granted with 30 days extra yet 

ps.: sorry, I thought you were asking me! I realise now the question wasnt for me

Were you charged 1900Baht for "under consideration"  ???

58 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Again more rejections. None of the IO's are following the letter that says we should be getting 30 days extensions!!

11 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Conclusion:

They have this document, they don't really understand it and they don't really want to understand it, they prefer to just ignore it.

I guess i should not try to apply for an extension in this immigration office in the near future ????

Good luck in getting an extension to everybody. If somebody knows of an immigration office which understands and follow this new memo please share it with us.

Completely disgusting these IO's. Do whatever they feel like and don't follow the law!!

• Like 1

Ok Guys,  no need to worry about our visas I think. 
PM cabinet announces emergency decree 2 today afternoon, curfew curfew schedule and closing of the country from 26th.
I think it would be wise not to catch the virus at the immigration office, because there will be lockdown for sure and the number of cases is soaring.
I would not be surprise to see the army everywhere in BKK from tomorrow.

(1) No person may leave the dwelling place within the specified period. Except with permission from a competent official or an exempt person

(2) No assembly or mobilization at any place or any act which instigates unrest

(3) Prohibiting the offering of news, distribution or distribution of books, publications or any other media which contains messages which may cause people to be afraid or intentionally distort information and cause misunderstanding in an emergency situation

(4) Prohibiting the use of transportation routes or the use of vehicles Or stipulating conditions for the use of transportation routes or the use of vehicles

(5) Prohibiting the use of buildings Or enter or be in any place

(6) to evacuate the people from the designated area for the safety of the said people Or prohibiting anyone from entering the designated area

Section 18 Whoever violates the requirements, notifications or orders issued by Article 9, shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years. Or a fine not exceeding forty thousand baht Or both

Edited by DFM75

7 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

What is the specified period?  Are we going to have to stay indoors for days on end?

I don't know the source is khaosod.co.th
I read 3 month max from start of decree

Edited by DFM75

It is here.  From google translate, it seems like the minimum period will be 3 months from the time the declaration of emergency goes into effect, which will be very soon. And after 3 months, the curfew can be extended again as deemed necessary, for 3 months.
https://www.khaosod.co.th/covid-19/news_3812002

It doesn't say anything about how all of this will impact foreign visitors though. ????

Edited by audaciousnomad

11 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

It is here.  From google translate, it seems like the minimum period will be 3 months from the time the declaration of emergency goes into effect, which will be very soon. And after 3 months, the curfew can be extended again as deemed necessary, for 3 months.
https://www.khaosod.co.th/covid-19/news_3812002

It doesn't say anything about how all of this will impact foreign visitors though. ????

I just heard about a start on tuesday, but the source is not official.
If any travel by car is banned, the visa problem is solved de facto. there will be amnesty or just the fine without legal issues.

17 minutes ago, DFM75 said:

I just heard about a start on tuesday, but the source is not official.
If any travel by car is banned, the visa problem is solved de facto. there will be amnesty or just the fine without legal issues.

Not likely. The only mention is curfew(I believe it will be night time).  And various checkpoints. Did not mention that people cannot transport themselves about during the day.  We're not in the clear yet as far as amnesty. ????

Edited by audaciousnomad

1 hour ago, DFM75 said:

PM cabinet announces emergency decree 2 today afternoon, curfew curfew schedule and closing of the country from 26th.
I think it would be wise not to catch the virus at the immigration office, because there will be lockdown for sure and the number of cases is soaring.

That is only what is written in the act they are using for the emergency decree.

This from another new source. "Requirements will be announced the day after tomorrow."

Now it is time to back on topic. Wait for it to be in the news forum for discussion.

6 hours ago, PST said:

Did both your wifes go with you to immigration when you applied for the 60 days extension?

My friends wife did but my wife had to take momma to the clinic. there was no requirement for mwife though, I took acopy of her ID and housebook just in case.

BACK. OF.  THE. NET!!!  ????

Hopefully will be the same for other countries soon too

Now updated page for UK without evidence of return flight as yesterday......

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

COVID-19 Visa Extension Applications – Support Letter

The British Embassy can issue a letter to support applications to extend existing visas. Those holding a tourist visa should first apply for a 30-day extension at an Immigration Office.

To apply, email [email protected] with evidence of:

1. Copy of biodata page of passport 
  2. Entry stamp
  3. Visa stamp/sticker with expiry date 

On 3/23/2020 at 12:17 PM, bangkokboy888 said:

Result: DENIED and given seven days extension. ????

came in on visa exempt stamp. And extended one time already. Came with original poster letter and also generic USA embassy from other poster. 

immigration official insisted the letter need my name and that I need to pay the embassy money to crate it. 

I showed her the unavailable appointment slots printed out from USA embassy website. She said it was not her business. I told her I could not get an appointment and and there are no walk ins. Fell on dear ears. 

there was a young American girl with the same letter and email correspondence from embassy (I didn’t have email correspondence) and she was denied too. Perhaps because they seem to have an argument (I could hear them from the sitting area) the young American girl did not get even seven days. 

as I was waiting for my passport and extra seven days an elderly gentlemen also came in with the same letter. 

the immigration officer repeated her story and insisted we all needed this letter. This was in the “K” section the section for visa exempt arrival extensions. 

I saw two other people with the letter get rejected. Not looking good. 

at least seven days puts me past Malaysia lock down? What are my options for visa runs on April 5?

what a headache.  

So basically you cannot just print off the US Embassy's 'extension letter.' Correct?

Regarding Part 2 and the whole matter, if one has exhausted all extensions and is NOT on a Tourist Visa would this letter from the embassy still work as it specifically states for tourism nothing else. Maybe I missed something.

Edited by Solinvictus