Immigration Is Allowing 30 Day Extensions Of Entries (memorandum dated 18/03)

13 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

what options exactly did they announce? Getting a letter from the embassy which refuses to provide it? 

Option 3 is for those that can’t meet the conditions of options 1 or 2.

Again choosing not to leave is not the same as not being able to leave. If you can’t leave you can extend under 1. 2. or 3.

• Like 1

Just got this back from American citizen services. Seems we will have letters with our names on them within a few days:

Thai Immigration requires foreign travelers to request an extension letter from their respective embassies.  If you are unable to return to the U.S. and require a visa extension letter, please scan a copy of the biodata page of your passport and send to [email protected].  Please ensure that your name, picture, and passport number are clearly readable.  Due to the volume of requests please allow up to 72 hours for a copy of your extension letter.  Every effort is being made to issue them as soon as possible.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

They are talking of people being stuck in the airport or unable to leave. The bloke caught - on overstay - in a bar has the same risks of overstay prosecution as before if they haven’t applied for an available extension.

What I meant by this was will the punitive measures such as potential trip to IDC and travel ban if arrested be voided as the tourism minister proposed. I have no desire to overstay, but will not just jump on a plane to anywhere right now for a variety of reasons. I don't think this measure was only for people stuck in an airport although individual IOs can interpret things how they want. Certainly I am not using this to hang about in a bar and have every intent and reasonable cause to apply for an emergency extension.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

My next option then, before this 30 day Covid extension seemed to me to berths 60 day extension on my current permission which I should obtain at my local IO in Kalasin. Is that right?

Yes.

11 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

If so I would be grateful if you are able to point me to link to  the official Thai regulations on this, if you have it. In Thai and English would be great!! Thanks.

You need to go with your wife to the immigration office. Requirements vary between offices, but the most common documents requested are;

• Original marriage certificate plus signed copy.
  • Signed copies of wife's ID and Tabien Baan.
  • Signed copies of your passport pages: ID page, visa, entry stamp, departure card.
  • 1 x photo 6 x 4.
  • They will almost certainly want form TM30. This is the form used by the Owner/House-master to report that you are staying with them, which should already be filed with immigration. If it's not you will be able to submit with the application but might get fined 800/1,600 THB for late filing.

The best option is to ask the local office of a list of what they want before applying.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

What I meant by this was will the punitive measures such as potential trip to IDC and travel ban if arrested be voided as the tourism minister proposed. I have no desire to overstay, but will not just jump on a plane to anywhere right now for a variety of reasons. I don't think this measure was only for people stuck in an airport although individual IOs can interpret things how they want. Certainly I am not using this to hang about in a bar and have every intent and reasonable cause to apply for an emergency extension.

Short answer; IMO no.

They have announced extensions for anyone trapped in the country so why would they not prosecute someone that hasn't applied for an extension? They have two choices; blanket amnesty or provide formal permits to stay (emergency extensions), and - at this time - they have gone for the latter. Choosing not to leave and not applying for an extension that results in overstay is not an option.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was at Chiang Mai IO today.

IO Chiang Mai still want paper from embassy. They do not knov anything about the memorandum, I think it is not comming down in the system yet.

It seems that Italian embassy now make the paper, I was talking with some Italian guys.

1 hour ago, artiz said:

Good question... the memorandum specifically states 11 countries (including England) who this order applies too. It says nothing about getting a letter from the British Embassy?

That is only part of the justification for allowing the 30 day extensions. The paragraph after it gives the others.

A person from any country can apply for the extension.

14 hours ago, elviajero said:

Short answer; IMO no.

They have announced extensions for anyone trapped in the country so why would they not prosecute someone that hasn't applied for an extension? They have two choices; blanket amnesty or provide formal permits to stay (emergency extensions), and - at this time - they have gone for the latter. Choosing not to leave and not applying for an extension that results in overstay is not an option.

I'd say right now it's my only option. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, justin case said:

last time I visited ROGUE IO ...they blandly scold at my face:  you here again ? thought you left (to your home country) or bought ELITE ...

When you are treated like dirt by your local IO, and don't want to deal with them anymore, there are 2 options when you like to stay in Thailand:

1 - Apply for the Elite-Visa and do your 90-day reports on-line;

2 - Apply for the 1-year Non Imm O - retirement or marriage Visa in a neighboring country (which will provide you with 15 months IO-hassle free long-stay in Thailand).

Apologies if already covered but I couldn’t find.  Can anyone please advise, as METV holder with no previous extensions, is Embassy letter currently required for first 30day extension in current circumstances.  Many thanks in advance.  Sorry if I upset anybodies sensibilities, I understand stresses are running particularly high atm 

5 minutes ago, Chillypom said:

Apologies if already covered but I couldn’t find.  Can anyone please advise, as METV holder with no previous extensions, is Embassy letter currently required for first 30day extension in current circumstances.  Many thanks in advance.  Sorry if I upset anybodies sensibilities, I understand stresses are running particularly high atm 

No it's not required.

• Like 1

Just got reply from british embassy about the letter they will only issue if have proof of cancelled flight before your visa ends, so for most people on a non o its a non starter people on tourist visas with a cancelled flight will be ok it takes 72 hours to recieve the letter from embassy

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

When you are treated like dirt by your local IO, and don't want to deal with them anymore, there are 2 options when you like to stay in Thailand:

1 - Apply for the Elite-Visa and do your 90-day reports on-line;

2 - Apply for the 1-year Non Imm O - retirement or marriage Visa in a neighboring country (which will provide you with 15 months IO-hassle free long-stay in Thailand).

Multi entry NON O's are only available at 2 places now as far as i am aware, everywhere else are only giving single entry 3 months.

6 minutes ago, sateuk said:

Just got reply from british embassy about the letter they will only issue if have proof of cancelled flight before your visa ends, so for most people on a non o its a non starter people on tourist visas with a cancelled flight will be ok it takes 72 hours to recieve the letter from embassy

it also says in the official announcement from the British Embassy that the letter is only available to people on toursist visas. No mention whatsoever about NON O holders in the statement released.

This service is available for British Nationals who entered Thailand with a tourist visa and have already extended this at Immigration, have had their flight to UK/place of residence cancelled and cannot reschedule their flight until after their visa expires.

Edited by PST

1 minute ago, PST said:

Multi entry NON O's are only available at 2 places now as far as i am aware, everywhere else are only giving single entry 3 months.

That's almost correct.  You can only get the 1-year ME Non Imm O - retirement Visa at Savannakhet, Laos and Penang, Malasya.  The 1-year ME Non Imm O - marriage Visa can also be applied for there as well as in HCMC, Vietnam.

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

That's almost correct.  You can only get the 1-year ME Non Imm O - retirement Visa at Savannakhet, Laos and Penang, Malasya.  The 1-year ME Non Imm O - marriage Visa can also be applied for there as well as in HCMC, Vietnam.

yes, sorry, id forgotten about Penang

Excuse my question that has probably been answered a few times, but the thread is huge now and I’m on my phone.

Are we saying tourists on 30 day visa exempts can get extra 30 days with no problems.

And people on Non Os need letter from embassy or prove to an immigration officer why they deserve to stay here?

It’s just that I’m on my way to Bangkok by train tonight and need to decide whether to go to Chiang Mai, or Cambodia while I’m still allowed in.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, finy said:

Excuse my question that has probably been answered a few times, but the thread is huge now and I’m on my phone.

Are we saying tourists on 30 day visa exempts can get extra 30 days with no problems.

And people on Non Os need letter from embassy or prove to an immigration officer why they deserve to stay here?

It’s just that I’m on my way to Bangkok by train tonight and need to decide whether to go to Chiang Mai, or Cambodia while I’m still allowed in.

Thanks!

As i see it, people on a NON O based on marriage can apply as normal for a 60 day extension based on visiting their spouse or child, thats always been the case regardless of COVID. Only then after the 60 days would you need a letter if the borders are closed, or you could continue your stay by then applying for a 1 year extension providing you have the financials needed.

For other types of NON O, like non b, non o based on retirement etc, a letter would be needed if they wish to extend beyond their current permit to stay

Edited by PST
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, elviajero said:

Why?

Was born in the UK but left when I was years old, have no living family anywhere, and my two best friends live in Spain, which is a no-go for me right now. Not even sure I can get in. If I go back to the UK on the remaining flights, it will probably be very expensive. Not just that, I actually really hate the UK, always have. Hated going back to visit relatives when I was a kid. 

4 hours ago, elviajero said:

You could potentially get the 60 day extension but only if you are the spouse or parent of a Thai.

OK, I'm neither. Maybe I've read that loophole before but dismissed it as irrelevant to me.

Thanks for the clear answer.

2 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

Unfortunately no @Maestro. Best anyone got was 7 days at CW with multiple people rejected. IOs demanded personal notarized letters when the Embassy is closed for appointments.

Doesn't the US embassy send their letters by mail?