Phuket’s six new cases include Swiss, Canadian

Jonathan Fairfield

Phuket’s six new cases include Swiss, Canadian

1584877861_1-org.jpg

Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana at the meeting today (Mar 22). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana has announced that among six new cases of people confirmed as infected with the COVID-19 coronavirus since yesterday were a 26-year-old Swiss woman and a 46-year-old Canadian man.

Governor Phakaphong delivered the news at the “Phuket Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) Incident Command Center” at 3pm today (Mar 22).

Of the six new cases, three are Thai nationals, including a 35-year-old businessmen. Officials are monitoring 15 people who came into close contact with the man, Gov Phakaphong said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-six-new-cases-include-swiss-canadian-75388.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-03-22

10 hours ago, Ian Nagle said:

Because finger pointing really helps to save face when they start burning the locals.

50 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

See ... Prayut was right about foreigners! As the bodies pile up, they will need a suitable scapegoat. Farang.

I've read the full article and fail to see any foreigner blaming.

Yes, they have reported on the mixed nationalities of the six new cases, which includes several Thais, and are endeavoring to check all who have come in contact with them. However, there is no finger pointing relating to citizenship.

The English language media reporting the story, and this expat forum, seem to be emphasizing the involvement of foreigners in the same way they would if they were arrested or killed on the roads. I do note they failed to mention the foreigner from Malaysia who is also infected. Bigotry?

I'm not an apologist for Thais who blame the foreigners for causing anything bad, particularly that idiot health minister, but don't see any blaming in this story, only normal reporting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Yes, they have reported on the mixed nationalities of the six new cases, which includes several Thais, and are endeavoring to check all who have come in contact with them. However, there is no finger pointing relating to citizenship.

The English language media reporting the story, and this expat forum, seem to be emphasizing the involvement of foreigners in the same way they would if they were arrested or killed on the roads. I do note they failed to mention the foreigner from Malaysia who is also infected. Bigotry?

I'm not an apologist for Thais who blame the foreigners for causing anything bad, particularly that idiot health minister, but don't see any blaming in this story, only normal reporting. 

They only reported this now due to the fact (i believe) that the Danish family had made a social media post about their quarantine 

1 minute ago, eezergood said:

They only reported this now due to the fact (i believe) that the Danish family had made a social media post about their quarantine 

OK, I was commenting on this singular news article.

I haven't read about the Danish family in any detail.

10 minutes ago, eezergood said:

I'm pretty sure they must have covered up the two cases from the tourists from Wuhan. Unless they were unlucky enough to leave the initial hub of the virus and pick it up on their Thailand travels then it must have been known about some time ago. Protect the tourism industry before considering the health of the people of Phuket seems to have been the remit.

2 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I'm pretty sure they must have covered up the two cases from the tourists from Wuhan. Unless they were unlucky enough to leave the initial hub of the virus and pick it up on their Thailand travels then it must have been known about some time ago. Protect the tourism industry before considering the health of the people of Phuket seems to have been the remit.

If your assumption is correct all involved will live to regret it, after all this is over maybe 1 or 2 years there will be many inquiries all over the planet about who did what and when, but nobody in there right mind today or in the future would question a world lockdown, failure to act now will leave bigger humanitarian and financial problems in the future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

"pretty sure" where did you get that bit of amazingly pure fact from?

7 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

"pretty sure" where did you get that bit of amazingly pure fact from?

Since when has the term "pretty sure" meant that something is "pure fact"? I know the answer to that; it doesn't. It relates to a strong opinion, something to which I am entitled.

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

ignorance is embedded in this site, it's the nature of the beast of the folks who populate it..