Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Leading Thai doctor in dire warning: Deadly Italian strain of Covid-19 now set to wreak havoc in Thailand

webfact

If Thailand want to rename every strain of mutation of this virus they will have their hands full. Scientists in Iceland has found 40 different mutations so far.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sabaitoo said:

You seem to have absolutely no clue, do you..I suggest you see the 2 videos in this article https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-they-call-it-the-apocalypse-inside-italys-hardest-hit-hospital-11960597?

Quote from the Swissdoctor link mentioned in several later posts:

According to the latest data of the Italian National Health Institute ISS, the average age of the positively-tested deceased in Italy is currently about 81 years. 10% of the deceased are over 90 years old. 90% of the deceased are over 70 years old.

80% of the deceased had suffered from two or more chronic diseases. 50% of the deceased had suffered from three or more chronic diseases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

According to the latest data of the Italian National Health Institute ISS, the average age of the positively-tested deceased in Italy is currently about 81 years. 10% of the deceased are over 90 years old. 90% of the deceased are over 70 years old.

80% of the deceased had suffered from two or more chronic diseases. 50% of the deceased had suffered from three or more chronic diseases.

so much for the health benefits of the mediterranean diet..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It's great in retrospect to be able to see the sense in shutting the stable door, while you still have a horse, though he is simply uttering what many of us have been saying for nearly two months now, that Thailand should have had a strict immigration procedure in place a long time ago. Keeping the arms open in welcome for so long to save tourism numbers, was bound to have consequences sooner or later.

I didn't see any scientific evidence above to back up his claim this is a different strain, so hope he has that at least partially wrong.

WTH!!! What new strain is this <deleted> on about?

Is WHO aware of this NEW ITALIAN strain???

20 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The  research that has been ongoing  has identified multiple minor variations in samples  taken from different  locations. There  has been  no demonstrable evidence  any one of them is  more  "deadly" than another. But it is suspected than a very early mutation gave it the properties  of/for human to human transmission which triggered the  Wuhan  outbreak. That leads  to the consideration of the factual anomaly of previous isolated victims of what is now named  Covid-19 who did  not co -infect at least by human to human contact. That further leads to the  question of how long this virus has actually been in existence but unrecognized until a mutation caused the explosive  outbreak. Further minor variations may have also increased the infectiousness but not the "deadliness".

He's a nasty piece of work. He's inventing a "strain" in an attempt to fuel racial hatred. What other agenda could he have when he spouts this nonsense. I heard him on an English interview a few days ago and he seems certain that Thailand is doing very well compared to the rest of the world.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Expat Brad said:

WTH!!! What new strain is this <deleted> on about?

Is WHO aware of this NEW ITALIAN strain???

No, it's something he dreamed up to further his anti-foreigner sentiment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

An Italian virus strand? Really? If that was true, we would have heard about it from thrustworthy sources. It's just bs. 

Evidently there are 3 flights daily to Italy from Wuhan as it's a very popular holiday destination. IMO this is the main reason for the high infections and deaths suffered by Italians. There must have been several super spreader aboard the flights as they escaped from Wuhan.

• Like 2

So he's a 'leading physician' - not a virologist, but a respiratory physician. Yet, he 'knows' there is a more virulent 'strain' here from Italy. Strange, no virologists around the world have discovered this 'strain'. Hopefully he's talking to the thai physicians that discovered the cure for covid 19 a few months ago (remember that?).

I know a President in the US who could use his expertise. He had a gut feeling that it wouldn't be serious and has also offered up his own drug cures. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, nausea said:

The received wisdom is that health services were overwhelmed in Italy, rather than a more deadly strain or demographics, hence the UK strategy of flattening the curve and enhancing NHS resources. As a leading physician, you'd think he'd know that. What it does illustrate, though, is that this virus, of whatever strain, can be far more deadly than generally perceived, if proper medical care is not available.

Agree.

The University of Valencia in a statement said: "The conclusion that has been reached after the analysis carried out is that, until now, no mutation has been found associated with greater virulence, lethality, or some interesting property from a clinical point of view."

Italian researchers came to the same conclusion.  (This was the opinion on the 18th March and published in the popular press of 'UK Express' of that date)

Edited by mayview
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, englishoak said:

Wow so many here still in denial.... there are more than 2 strains already and ALL are mutating and going to..... either they become more or less deadly and viral. With millions infected and continuing to be the odds AND risks of mutation going either or BOTH ways increases....  its going to get real ugly as, if it wasnt already. 

You could do the TV community a great service if you spend a few hours researching your claim and report back with links to reputable sources.  Thanks in advance.  Until then your concerns will be retained in the "special" file cabinet located in an inconspicuous area of my office.

23 hours ago, aqua4 said:

You think?How about a bus load of super spreaders heading for the rural areas. If there was ever an argument against globalism then this virus must be it.

c1_1884190_200323061023.jpg

The fact that in order to flee the urban centers where most of the cases are, the average Thais have to pack together in bus stations, and then be confined to innards of sardine-can buses for hours as they flow back to their villages - to infect the villages that were essentially socially isolated in the first place.  
From the confines of their estates and gilded sanctuaries, those who set off this stampede will claim they never anticipated such an end result occurring due to the mass movement of the plebs, phrai, samankon, and other regular people from infected areas to non-infected areas.  :thumbsup:  Of course not.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pokerface1 said:

Evidently there are 3 flights daily to Italy from Wuhan as it's a very popular holiday destination. IMO this is the main reason for the high infections and deaths suffered by Italians. There must have been several super spreader aboard the flights as they escaped from Wuhan.

It's still not an Italian strain of the Coronavirus. That's just something that doctor came up with. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2020 at 2:51 PM, timendres said:
On 3/23/2020 at 2:44 PM, NCC1701A said:

there are more than two strains of the virus now. the Italian one is different.

and many comparisons to Italy and Thailand now in terms of potential numbers. 

I was not aware of this.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2236544-coronavirus-are-there-two-strains-and-is-one-more-deadly/

From this article:

"The differences between the two identified strains are tiny. In fact, they can’t really be considered to be separate “strains”, says Jones. And many of the genetic differences won’t affect the production of proteins, and so won’t change the way the virus works, or the symptoms it causes, he says. One is not more deadly than the other.

“In all practical terms, the virus is as it was when it originally emerged,” says Jones. “There’s no evidence it is getting any worse.” The sentiment is echoed by the World Health Organization. The study by Tang and colleagues only suggests there is some genetic diversity of the virus – it doesn’t mean it is changing, a representative told New Scientist."

• Like 1

They think the spread in italy is because of the last championsleuage match atalanta vs sevilla where 50.000 people attendet , thats why so many where infected and spreading . But this joker must be friends with Anutin and try to blame it on the farangs . It was not called the Wuhan virus at first for nothing , just let them look at where it all started and where it spread from and then start to blame people . But i geuss the high speed trains are still to important . 

• Like 1

May just be the Italian strain, which is a mutation ignited the original which what virus’s do, however one just wonders where the Italians picked it up from ????

There will be no pointing of a racist finger here though ! 

1 hour ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

They think the spread in italy is because of the last championsleuage match atalanta vs sevilla where 50.000 people attendet , thats why so many where infected and spreading . But this joker must be friends with Anutin and try to blame it on the farangs . It was not called the Wuhan virus at first for nothing , just let them look at where it all started and where it spread from and then start to blame people . But i geuss the high speed trains are still to important . 

I think it was Atalanta - Valencia.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 2:34 PM, darksidedog said:

It's great in retrospect to be able to see the sense in shutting the stable door, while you still have a horse, though he is simply uttering what many of us have been saying for nearly two months now, that Thailand should have had a strict immigration procedure in place a long time ago. Keeping the arms open in welcome for so long to save tourism numbers, was bound to have consequences sooner or later.

I didn't see any scientific evidence above to back up his claim this is a different strain, so hope he has that at least partially wrong.

I have read in a New Scientist recent article that there are indeed two strains of Covid-19 an S and an L type with the later one (L I believe) being seen in Europe right now.   However the article said that there was absolujtely no evidence to suggest that that there is any difference in the severity or lethality between either strain. I am not sure that it is okay to post the link here so I will leave folk to Google search for it.

Also there is strong evidence (see a detailed article on today's BBC.CO.UK site) that this virus like other Flu and Cold viruses does not propagate very well in hot humid climates but of course can be caught from close contact with infected persons.  This is likley why we see a much slower spread of the virus here and in other similar tropical climate countries than in the cold wintertime temperate climates.   So some positvie news for us here in Thailand but spare a thought for our friends and family stuck back home in the winter climate who are far more at risk than us here. 

We must all of course still take sensible precautions against unnecessary exposure from those already infected, many of whom may not yet even know that they are, so avoid crowds and uneccessary travel and stay at home if possible, especailly important for those over 70 and the weak and already ill folk too.  All well published advise but no harm in repeating these more sensible easy to comply with guidelines of course.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, waders123 said:

This is typical China propaganda. Keep throwing money and ideas at different people/governments and hopefully the propaganda will stick such as this statement: 

"THE VIRUS DID NOT START IN CHINA; CHINA IS THE GOVERNMENT THAT WILL SAVE THE WORLD FROM A VIRUS THAT THE WEST IS RESPONSIBLE FOR."

Oh! Oh! LOOK!!!!!!   I just saw a pig fly by my window on the 27th floor of our condo building too!  People are, in general, smart enough to see through this BS.

Hoping when this is all over and the dust has settled governments of the world again condemn China's government for allowing unsanitary ways of doing business and pressure them to join with the rest of the civilized world a more sanitized lifestyle.  Wet markets and spitting has got to go.

How totally misinformed that is.  I highly respect China for its responsible and efective actions in curbing the spread of this virus.  I think sadly for the good folk of the USA that the extreme Capitalist nonsense there and lack of affordeable or better free medical care will result in far more deaths there and possibly a terribel reulting sporead of this virus there.  So yes once the dust has settled I hope the world does condemn the USA (not China) for the lack of free medical care and available cheap or free necessary drugs and vaccines when they become available (already well in development (yes you guessed it in China where people come well before profits) . 

The USA of all people should have such a sensible free at source medical system there (similar to the UK or what we truly had in the UK before Thatcher !!) in the richest nation of the World, it is disgusting that they do not IMHO.  Only chance of putting that right is to ensure Sanders gets selected and then elected as a much needed decent US preisdent who puts people before greed and excess profits. Yes all people should have a choice but NOT simply just purchasing power !!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Christie Paul said:

Pushing CCP propaganda is fine while the going is easy - but that's about to change. 

Thailand would do well to be extremely neutral or it could easily become a casualty of two giants slogging it out. 

Don't worry Thailand will do as it always has when it looks like it's going to get nasty.......... Run away !  then come back and see what it can get for free.......  I really don't think the current leadership want to stick their necks out too far, nobody likes chancers ...........

13 minutes ago, rayw said:

I have read in a New Scientist recent article that there are indeed two strains of Covid-19 an S and an L type with the later one (L I believe) being seen in Europe right now.   However the article said that there was absolujtely no evidence to suggest that that there is any difference in the severity or lethality between either strain. I am not sure that it is okay to post the link here so I will leave folk to Google search for it.

Also there is strong evidence (see a detailed article on today's BBC.CO.UK site) that this virus like other Flu and Cold viruses does not propagate very well in hot humid climates but of course can be caught from close contact with infected persons.  This is likley why we see a much slower spread of the virus here and in other similar tropical climate countries than in the cold wintertime temperate climates.   So some positvie news for us here in Thailand but spare a thought for our friends and family stuck back home in the winter climate who are far more at risk than us here. 

We must all of course still take sensible precautions against unnecessary exposure from those already infected, many of whom may not yet even know that they are, so avoid crowds and uneccessary travel and stay at home if possible, especailly important for those over 70 and the weak and already ill folk too.  All well published advise but no harm in repeating these more sensible easy to comply with guidelines of course.

I have read many an article indicating L being later and being more virulent but all these articles that we are reading (many from Medical Journals of note) are typically have not gone through an in depth peer review (not enough time yet) to has out things.  Statistics can be misleading, they can lie because we of our lack of understanding all the variables and taking them all into account.  For example the L type is 70% of the cases in Wuhan, but then Wuhan was one of the worst hit cities because of that - it had a collapsing healthcare system at times because of being overwhelmed.  Taken in isolation, you can come to the conclusion that if Wuhan had 70% of the cases and the overall mortality rate was higher for that type.  On the other hand the higher mortality rate can also be attributed to the healthcare system being overwhelmed.  The devil is in the details of how much you attribute to one factor or the other.  It will be years though before this data can be thoroughly challenged and peer review so we have to go on the best evidence at the time (which can change daily).

On 3/23/2020 at 7:44 AM, NCC1701A said:

there are more than two strains of the virus now. the Italian one is different.

and many comparisons to Italy and Thailand now in terms of potential numbers. 

Absolutely no evidence of this. The virus sread to Northern italy by a large number of Chinese businessmen travelling to Northern Italy. It's the same virus. it's been particularly devastating in Italy as it has one of the oldest demographics in the World.

Can't really compare Thailand to Italy. Northern Italy very cold, Thailand hot and humid. Italians probably the most touchy touchy people in the world when they greet each other in the street. Thais make do with a wai from a respectful distance.

• Like 2