Covid-19: Government to impose state of emergency

Jonathan Fairfield

43 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

To keep it in perspective, that's 35000 infected out of 7.5 billion.

No that is 35,000 out of 329,227,746 in USA and rising 

Correction, now 47,000 and increasing

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, kimamey said:

I don't know how it works here but normally the difficult part is declaring the emergency, particularly in a democracy. Once you've done that you can quickly take the measures that you'll feel necessary at the time. 

I don't know if these are the same emergency measures that were used during the red shirt protests. They were existing ones put  in place by Thaksin but they may have changed since then. 

The way its being done is petty normal. The issue is are they used responsibly. 

According to another newspaper not to be named, measures include the ban of interprovincial travel and stricter control of (social) media. In both cases violators will be arrested and/or prosecuted.
Really "good news" for those who lost their jobs and couldn't make it back home yet.
Will be another very busy time at those big bus terminals in BKK.......

Edited by Peterbilt
removed a ton of typos.....
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

According to an Italian virologist, the main reason it took hold was due to political correctness. They were too scared to target Chinese for testing etc in case they were accused of waycism, pilloried & fired. Exactly like what happened in the UK with some child abusers, people too terrified to do anything about it.

I read the same as well from several sources. Here's one of them: https://truepundit.com/italian-virologist-says-political-correctness-doomed-his-countrys-coronavirus-response/

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

If they had done it about a month ago, maybe it might have been semi effective but now it's a little too late.. I'm not complaining, I'm making an observation on their motives !! 

Sure they could have been doing it earlier. I also see it as too late, but I am still positive to that is going to happen. Better that it happens, then not happen at all. Also I read a lot of news, and it looks like I still can see many countries doing much worse than Thailand. Assuming the figures are not fake. As I say, nothing is sure.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Because you are here on a tourist visa. You're gaming the system.

FYI, I had a confirmed ticket to Taiwan on the 29th and tried to get out before midnight on the 18th when the travel ban was announced but the evening flights were canceled so it was impossible to get out on EVA, but I botched it. Should have run to the airport and gotten on any airline any flight no matter the price. I just wasn't expecting every border to shut at roughly the same moment.

Just now, Zikomat said:

How exactly do I game the system? I get to the Thai embassy abroad, apply for the visa, pay the fees and get the stamp. Do I provide the fake documents? Or the money I pay the fees with is fake? 
 The same way I can blame you on gaming the system. Who knows what is your real age? And do you really love your wife and not just married her to get more rights for staying in Thailand? 

You went to the Thai embassy and obtained a tourist visa. You aren't a tourist. That's gaming the system.

My age is shown on my passport, I'm here on a retirement visa. My wife plays no part in determining my visa status.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Lol...actually US says both. Don't travel on website and come home on e-mail, but home is not home for me.

If you're here on a tourist visa then neither is Thailand.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

As usual you do not know what you read. Do you understand the word assume? I used it 2 times in my post. I assume you have your answer there. What do you assume? (More than making a useless post bases upon poor understanding.)

you made statements of fact in your post and some assumed, evidently you are no expert - are you ? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

To keep it in perspective, that's 35000 infected out of 7.5 billion.

Also, many younger & fit people only suffer fairly mild symptoms if they get it.

How many hundreds of millions would we want destitute and massive businesses gone forever?

thankyou, there's a few of us with common sense left on forum, probably soon to be banned or verboten from commenting anything but the hysterical party line per the coming big daddy details thursday

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1