Masks: to wear or not to wear

Bannockburn

Wear a mask. It makes Thai people feel safe around you. Doubly so in public spaces.

Yes, they have no clue. Touching their masks, pulling them down to eat or talk. They reuse the mask for days, weeks maybe.

They actually think both the influenza is airborne floating in the air like common air pollution.

I've come to understand the Asian mentality on masks. No one can be trusted to take themselves out of the population if when sick. If everyone wears a mask then we are protected that much.

I have a decent mask. I wear it in public spaces. Take care of it, keep in envelope. Best thing to do is not go out.

I think especially in Thailand the government will never move to kill it off and it will be with us forever or until vaccine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Credo said:

There has been a lot of back and forth on the issue of face masks.   The experts who indicate masks are not necessary recommend that they be worn by people who are infected (or at a high risk of having contracted the virus).   Those opposed do so for two reason, one is that it really won't protect you and two that it causes people to touch their face more and many people don't wear them appropriately.   In some countries, masks are in short supply and needed by medical personnel.

I read an abstract from a medical journal (I can't remember which one, so unfortunately I have no link).   It didn't discuss masks, but it did find that the virus can remain in aerosol form for up to 3 hours.   The abstract was comparing Covid-19 to it's cousin SARS.   If that is the case, in a crowded area and on public transport, it may provide some protection.   It certainly would help with minimizing those with the virus from spreading it.   Social distancing is difficult in a country like Thailand.   

Nothing annoys me more than people propagating PROPAGANDA.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30229968/

An 80% compliance rate essentially eliminated the influenza outbreak.

Abstract

Outbreaks of influenza represent an important health concern worldwide. In many cases, vaccines are only partially successful in reducing the infection rate, and respiratory protective devices (RPDs) are used as a complementary countermeasure. In devising a protection strategy against influenza for a given population, estimates of the level of protection afforded by different RPDs is valuable. In this article, a risk assessment model previously developed in general form was used to estimate the effectiveness of different types of protective equipment in reducing the rate of infection in an influenza outbreak. It was found that a 50% compliance in donning the device resulted in a significant (at least 50% prevalence and 20% cumulative incidence) reduction in risk for fitted and unfitted N95 respirators, high-filtration surgical masks, and both low-filtration and high-filtration pediatric masks. An 80% compliance rate essentially eliminated the influenza outbreak. The results of the present study, as well as the application of the model to related influenza scenarios, are potentially useful to public health officials in decisions involving resource allocation or education strategies.

14 hours ago, LennyW said:

I have looked at people in our workplace who wear masks.....they touch their face about 200 times a day adjusting and moving their masks....not a good idea and adds to the risk of infection, and many of them seem to insist on having them hanging around their chin when they are talking!!

Ther very annoying. You have to take off to drink etc. Would on ly use them for dust

16 minutes ago, Chrysaora said:

You are 100 percent wrong.  

Stop spreading propaganda.

however the 'Abstract' in your Link was so abstract; that it didn't differentiate or even mention the ratio between the wearing of masks for preventative Transmission vs preventative Reception... 

ah! here we go...

\- a Mask worn by someone already affected/or suspected; is a mask providing 'Quarantine'

- a mask worn by someone not yet affected, but wanting to feel prtected from others; is a mask providing 'self Isolation'

Edited by tifino

The mask is useless in the case of the virus, I use it for two reasons, one for the 2.5 particles in the air, we often have an AQI of over 150, second, to give a sense of security to those who believe in mask against the virus.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OffshoreMig said:

I attended a clinic yesterday and I was somewhat dismayed when a farang walked into the clinic wearing his shoes.  He failed to adhere to the sign on the door or cultural practice of removing foot wear.  Removing shoes and sandals on entering an house or office  and greeting some Thai style is important not just out of respect but also good hygiene.  Footwear carry bacteria and viruses into your house.  Please show respect to your hosts and remove footweer when requested.  You are putting others heath and safety at risk and being disrespectful at the same time

im dismayed when someone goes barefoot, no better then walking around

shirtless

8 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The problem is that the 'powers to be' are setting false expectations.

Many people here say that wearing a mask is a cultural thing and that we should all do it.

It will not protect you from getting the virus!

So, I am better accepted by Anukin by wearing one but in a bed in an ICU and likely to die. That does not make me feel good.

By the way - I cannot find any in the shops on the island where I live. They have all been exported to ??? Cough cough dead?

Ridiculous, and typical misinformation.

That's like saying sneezing into a tissue won't stop you getting the virus... I'm pretty sure the main reason other people want you to keep your mask on is to cover your fetid mouth, spouting sh*t like this...

Now is the time for staying home and not wasting your masks going out shopping - I'm sure most people have at least a few lying around now.

16 hours ago, grumbleweed said:

And there was I thinking they were simply fashion accessories.

Without eye protection as well, it's like locking the door and leaving the window wide open. However, the natives are not renown for pushing the envelope where critical thinking is concerned.

Well it would appear that the “natives” in other countries are suffering from the same problem.

I was watching the news from the UK the other evening and despite pleas from the government people are still congregating en mass one group moving between exercise equipment in a park gripping the same hand rails.

Australia is no better people were refusing to leave a crowded Bondi Beach in Sydney and had to be threatened with police action.

It seems that the lack of critical thinking is a world wide problem.

I think the argument for “no mask needed” are mainly from people living in less densely populated areas (and not surprisingly it’s cultures that value personal space and mainly comprise of western cultures). So from that - it seems they are more apprehensive to the whole “mask up to prevent virus” idea. Does any of the tests on virus prevention look at high density populations?

I don’t feel that they understand what “high density population” is. Walking out of your apartment with 200 people on the pavement and constant queuing up for lifts/escalators/toilets/buses and trains. Anyone who walks on the wrong side of the sidewalk has a flow on effect (yes I am talking about those oblivious tourists during peak hour MTR!!) to everyone else.

If we normally have a 2m distance from random strangers - I wouldnt feel like we need masks. But for cities like Seoul, Tokyo and Hong Kong - an average person will be in contact with a lot more people on a per minute basis than someone in like Detroit or Brisbane..... we literally get breathed on the minute we’re outside the house...

• Like 1

I too bought what the main health organisations were telling us, up until the last few days.

But after much reading and watching have change my opinion.            

The virus itself is small enough to get by all masks, including to a lesser extent even the N95.
But you will probably not encounter the virus in an isolated form (aerosol). 
It will be contained in water droplets that can be stopped to a certain extent by masks of any type. 
The better the coverage and design the more droplets will be caught. 
Bottom line, any protection is better than none.

Of course the mask will become contaminated and can spread to hands then face if not careful or are just ignorant of how to properly use/remove the mask.

Four of the places that most successfully suppressed COVID19 are Hong Kong, S.Korea, Taiwan and Macao.

All these locations promoted strict face mask use. Not proof, but when nothing is for sure, why risk it for such a minor inconvenience?

So why would WHO and the others spread false information?
At times of crisis this is common practice, if it is thought that it will reduce larger problems.
For example; the misuse of masks may have been deemed a greater risk than the use of them.
or that a run on masks would cause a lack of supply for those that really needed them (as we are seeing).

Edited by Mahks

N95 0.3 Micron masks do not stop the corona virus which has a width of only 0.12 to 0.14 micron. In any case, an N95 mask stops 95% of particles above 0.3 Micron, but 5% of 0.3 micron particles, and a larger percentage of smaller particles, get through and obviously build up inside the mask. For these reasons the experts say do not wear masks unless you have a cough, cold and/or are sneezing. Sneezes travel at 180Km/hr or 3metres per second and with a following breeze or in malls and offices with ventllation systems can travel a lot further (up to 200 times in some experiments). This makes social distancing of only 2 metres quite suspect. I have taken to wearing a mask purely because the Government has requested it and because we still have a risk of high air pollution. Soe people say that the viruses are contained in larger droplets preventing them passing the mask. This is untrue since the water evaporates and the particles with in, including viruses can then pass through the pores of the mask.

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, anchadian said:

Masks are useless unless you have symptoms yourself or someone is sneezing or coughing close to you.

The coronavirus doesn't fly around in the air.

Wear disposable gloves is always a better protection.

Just my thoughts.

My understanding is that it does?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Estrada said:

... Soe people say that the viruses are contained in larger droplets preventing them passing the mask. This is untrue since the water evaporates and the particles with in, including viruses can then pass through the pores of the mask.

Would it not then depend on how long the droplets existed?

I assume different environments would affect the duration. 

For example, in a hot dry room they would evaporate quickly, but in a humid/cool room would hang about longer.

17 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Another super smart TV member denigrating the locals.

There are always going to be windows left open. But with less opportunity to get a grip, there will be less opportunity for transmission.

That is what we are trying to do. Cut down on transmission.

Maar hij heeft wel gelijk , zonder je ogen te beschermen heeft een mondkapje niet heel veel zin .

With asymptomatic transmission possible, if everybody wore a mask the transmission rate would obviously go down, so yes, everybody should wear one. The cheap masks won't prevent you from getting it but it will help in preventing you from spreading it if you are sick and don't know it. It's not just about selfishly protecting yourself but also about protecting others from you.

Also, they are telling a lot of people not to wear them because the healthcare professionals are running out of them. They are talking about the N95 masks not the cheap paper ones. N95 masks obviously reduce your risk of infection or the healthcare professionals wouldn't bother wearing them.

If you really want a answer of to wear a mask or not, just look at the rocket-like rising numbers of infected people in the countries who say that a mask is unnecessary!!!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The south east asian countries with hundred of thousand chinese tourist where the most people wear a mask look much more lower, or not? And now think about it again!!! ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snowgard said:

If you really want a answer of to wear a mask or not, just look at the rocket-like rising numbers of infected people in the countries who say that a mask is unnecessary!!!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The south east asian countries with hundred of thousand chinese tourist where the most people wear a mask look much more lower, or not? And now think about it again!!! ????

you've found the answer well done, a mask will save us all. Bit like the guys saying with Thailand's heat we are all protected, they are quiet now

18 hours ago, timendres said:

At this point in time, wearing a mask is mostly to comfort the people cr@pp1ng their drawers around you. It is simply a courtesy, and might spare you a little animosity.

I refuse to become a sheep and would rather be true to myself and not give a **** what others think.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I refuse to become a sheep and would rather be true to myself and not give a **** what others think.

You understand, that makes you sound like a selfish b4stard.

But I guess we can expect that from someone who doesn’t give a **** what others think.

14 hours ago, Neeranam said:

There seems to be some misunderstanding on the issue of face masks and there usefulness.

People should think of this in a different way.

Apparently healthy people may yet have the virus.

Wearing a mask means that if somebody is unwittingly infected , the chances of them transmitting the virus to others is reduced.

The term ' super spreaders ' refers to just such people. They are infected but don't know it and carry on as normal , all the time transmitting the virus , as at Lumphini boxing stadium etc.

Therefore , in this context wearing a mask not only makes sense but is a courtesy to those people around you since although you may feel fine you cannot be 100% sure that you have not already picked up the virus somewhere.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You understand, that makes you sound like a selfish b4stard.

But I guess we can expect that from someone who doesn’t give a **** what others think.

Strange times when this guy starts to makes sense.