Dead bodies of Covid-19 victims 'not contagious'

snoop1130

Dead bodies of Covid-19 victims 'not contagious'

By THE NATION

800_d971a563bdb05ca.jpg

The corpse of a Covid-19 patient is not infectious, since the virus dies with the patient, Somsak Akasilp, Department of Medical Services director-general, explained on Tuesday (March 24).

His reaction followed a post on social media by the son of a dead patientthat no temple would receive his body for the funeral, due to fear of infection.

“The temple can receive his body without fear,” the director-general said.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul too weighed in on the case, saying he was saddened by the situation.

He said doctors would not release the corpse from the hospital unless it were safe for the people.

Besides, he said he would coordinate with the provincial public health office to organise the funeral if no temple were ready to receive the body.

On Tuesday, the Public Health Ministry announced that deaths from Covid-19 in Thailand had risen to four, and total cases of infections to 827.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384740

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-24

30 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The corpse of a Covid-19 patient is not infectious, since the virus dies with the patient, Somsak Akasilp, Department of Medical Services director-general, explained on Tuesday

Sorry to be pedantic. Lack of details as usual.

The corpse maybe. This is assuming all clothing and any bracelets, etc., have already been removed?

For example anything plastic that may be on the body can survive 72 hours if it has the virus on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Sorry to be pedantic. Lack of details as usual.

The corpse maybe. This is assuming all clothing and any bracelets, etc., have already been removed?

For example anything plastic that may be on the body can survive 72 hours if it has the virus on it.

I'm pretty sure they forgot to specify that there is a waiting period or desinfection procedure... It's obviously safe to be incinerated by the monk if it's already in a body bag and coffin. 

6 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I'm pretty sure they forgot to specify that there is a waiting period or desinfection procedure... It's obviously safe to be incinerated by the monk if it's already in a body bag and coffin. 

Is that so? I'd have no idea.

If it's already in a body bag and coffin - there's still someone who has to do that. I'd have thought in some cases the family would be the one to do that?

This virus is extremely contagious. No wonder the Chinese covered the dead bodies in bags and cremated them in an instance. There's still a lot of tragedy to unfold with this virus. The countries in Europe will be following Italy's scenario one by one, and then the rest of the world. This virus is something!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Is that so? I'd have no idea.

If it's already in a body bag and coffin - there's still someone who has to do that. I'd have thought in some cases the family would be the one to do that?

No, even villages have their "deal with the bodies of the deceased" people. It would be quite brutal if you have to do that by yourself. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
Death walks behind you.

1 hour ago, rhyddid said:

This prove that the virus CAN NOT come from a death bat or snake at the wet market of Wuhan.

Indeed for who in South East Asia, what about a mosquito bites an infected person and then bite a non infected human, can the covid19 virus be transmitted by mosquito bites ? 

MB_mosquito bite

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

The Dutch Engine and Trump have something in common, They both say the virus cannot survive in hot weather/climates. Can either or both tell me how the virus is spreading in all parts of Australia. For example 

cases in NT average temperature all year round in the mid 30s. WA This summer and Autumn very hot and above average, many days in mid 30 to low 40s. All states except Tasmania have had hot summer and autumn. have had and are still reporting new cases. Please tell me what temperature stops/kills the virus.

On 3/24/2020 at 8:35 PM, Ian Nagle said:

How reassuring to know this comforting infornation, I'm now guaranteed a good nights sleep.

Famous last words ...

Edited by elliss

There's also evidence that SARS-CoV-2 can attach to furin targets, just as HIV does: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/why-does-sars-cov-2-spread-so-easily

It could hint towards a secondary transmission path through bodily fluids. Better safe than sorry.

EDIT: very little info available, too early still, but:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/20/can-coronavirus-be-spread-through-sweat-tears-urine/

From the evidence at hand, though, medical experts have made these observations about the virus officially called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2:

Blood, feces: SARS-CoV-2 RNA has been detected, but it’s not known yet whether the virus in such specimens is infectious.

Edited by DrTuner

In the Netherlands they found the corona virus in the sewage system, even after the first treatment. Kak, apparently, is full of it. People are discouraged to touch, or swim in open water near "the rear end" of water treating systems. So don't tell me a dead body is not swarming with it.

Mind you, a thorough soaping and a bodybag, soaped again might do the trick...

Edited by Bullie