Govt unlikely to impose curfew soon: spokeswoman

snoop1130

Govt unlikely to impose curfew soon: spokeswoman

By The Nation

800_c27ccedd69a6f4f.png

The government is not likely to impose curfew soon to cope with the Covid-19 crisis, government spokeswoman Narumon Pinyosinwat said today (March 24).

She said a Cabinet meeting was discussing limits on specific locations that were at risk of spreading Covid-19 and closing borders, which would be the responsibility of the Interior Ministry and governors of each province.

The government was also considering a measure that would allow foreigners to depart from Thailand, but the issue of the curfew was not raised in the meeting.

“There was no conversation about a curfew and that is all I can say,” Narumon said.

Thewan Liptapanlop, Minister of the Prime Minister’s Office, said the new measures would become clearer in two days, but a curfew was not one of them.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384757

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-24
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, zib said:

Ok that means a curfue soon.

Yeah, you're going on past experience with this government denying something one day, only to announce it a day or two later.

No travelling in the rear of pick-ups must have be one of the fastest change of policy ever. Was it one day or both days before being cancelled.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zib said:

Ok that means a curfue soon.

One of the guilty pleasures of hanging around TV in time of Covid. You never know which mutation of the English language you might run into (in this instance it does look like  of the Wuhan trait.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Patong Beach in Phuket this evening.

ET4Ha0EU4AMm6Rq.jpg

ET4HaT1U0AASUgD.jpg

Yah Karon and Patong were both busy last weekend but many posters didn’t believe me. Mostly 75% Russians then a big mix the rest. Russia does seem pretty immune to this. It’s boring to most people, no bars and restaurants etc. so the beach is popular. It will take a few weeks to quiet down more. Life will go on still. Not a huge deal you can see this is many countries still. 

Edited by alex8912

10 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Mrs just said it's on the news.......26th, 7pm Curfew starts, 40,000 Baht Fine and up to 2 years in Prison for offenders.    The screws are being tightened.

Thank god I got an indoor "dunny".. up north a night time venture outside might be expensive.

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

It is in this kind of situation that we see that big declarations are just words ...
Where is the police, where is the army;

these institutions should evacuate the beaches as has been done in Australia.

physically missing, as usual ..

No, they're all busy looking after their commanding officers senile parents (my brother-in-law had to do that for a year), or painting his house, or running the business for him.

• Haha 1

here in bangkok streets are empty at night. i choose that time to go to supermarket. i also have a 7/11 open 30 meters from my condo. and i believe most in the city have a 7/11 nearby.

a curfew will result in having them closed after 7pm. 

i am not sure a curfew is necessary or even a good idea.

• Like 1

A curfew is probably needed during "political" crises. To keep the masses in place, and from congregating. Otherwise they might take over the airport(s) or shutdown Bangkok with their whistles and clappers.

In this situation, I can't see it being much use on a virus. Restricting the time period when people can go out for food, medicine from 24 hours to 12 hours seems counter-productive? 

Can see the authorities limiting inter-provincial travel. Cracking down on social media posters deemed "bad". Controlling the press. Mandatory masks.

• Like 1