Thailand closes borders to foreigners

Jonathan Fairfield

19 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its only for a month at this stage, go stay elsewhere for a month then return

Nowhere nearby to go currently and pretty likely that if someone leaves they might not be able to return for months.  Also visa procedures might change drastically for months or years.

So, bogus advice for @young Farrang?  Bad sport.

Thailand bans entry to foreigners, prepares emergency measures against coronavirus

2020-03-25T084651Z_1_LYNXMPEG2O0R0_RTROPTP_3_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

People wear protective suits, due to coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, as they queue at the immigration center in Bangkok, Thailand, March 25, 2020. REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa

BANGKOK (Reuters) - The Thai government banned entry for all non-resident foreigners on Wednesday but held off on restricting people's movement inside the country as the government prepared to roll out emergency measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

A state of emergency will take effect from midnight local time (1700 GMT) until April 30, giving Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha sweeping powers to combat the surge of coronavirus infection.

The Southeast Asian country recorded 107 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, bringing the known total to 934. Four people have died since the outbreak began, 860 are hospitalised while 70 patients have recovered and gone home.

New restrictions taking effect at midnight include the closing of all border crossings except for Thai nationals, diplomats and their families, and foreigners with work permits or other official documents allowing them to work in Thailand.

"We are not closing the country, we are still allowing Thai people to return but for foreigners the country is closed," Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam told a news conference. He added that airports will remain open to flights from abroad.

Wissanu said the government had no immediate plans to impose curfews or travel restrictions within the country. But he said checkpoints would be set up to screen inter-provincial travellers and an "all day curfew" could still be introduced in certain areas if coronavirus contagion worsened.

The government on Sunday closed down department stores, malls, dine-in restaurants, entertainment venues and other public places for several weeks in major cities across the country.

It is still allowing banks, government offices, pharmacies and grocery stores to operate as normal but urged people over the age of 70, children under five and people with respiratory and other health complications to stay home.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-25

3 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

The Chinese will be the first tourists welcomed back when the virus subsides. 

I guess the Chinese will be the ones who will provide assistance and materials. Know-it-all Europeans can't help. They go begging for masks and ventilators from China. 

Edited by Letseng
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Maybe they do, and will correct that immediately. NO foreigners allowed in, including those with valid WP. See, fixed it.

no worries , let all thais in; they cant get virus ; just ask em (if they know what it is)

2 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

And this is inside one of these planes, Swiss LX180 just before landing at Swampy 2 days back... with total of 5 passengers.

876880.jpg.7aa2d4c66bf4f88cd25ead4827b5d6f0.jpg

Should have moved all the passengers up to first class and saved the trouble of cleaning toilets and kitchens in the economy section...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Let's see if the next move is to purge the foreigners already in the country. Nothing to do with the virus but such a sweet opportunity. Got your Plan B/C/D ready?

I am here legally, until i must do an extension for my OA Visa in November since I can not fly out and then back to reset my OA Visa for it's second year, unless its all clear by then.  However, should it not be and If they do not want us here I would think they would just close off the ability to extend and we would all be up Shiitees creek without the paddle unless you have an Elite....

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Should have moved all the passengers up to first class and saved the trouble of cleaning toilets and kitchens in the economy section...

Maybe First was full or First travelers would not have appreciated this confinement with people who paid between 20 and 25% of what First passengers are charged but, I agree with you, a move the the Swiss biz would not have been worth it considering the level of service in this particular area ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I am here legally, until i must do an extension for my OA Visa in November since I can not fly out and then back to reset my OA Visa for it's second year, unless its all clear by then.  However, should it not be and If they do not want us here I would think they would just close off the ability to extend and we would all be up Shiitees creek without the paddle unless you have an Elite....

I have elite and still would have to extend after the permission to stay expires. You get a 1y stamp upon entry.

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You are not required to reset you entry on an O-A visa - you can extend on any entry during the last 30-45 days.

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

I have elite and still would have to extend after the permission to stay expires. You get a 1y stamp upon entry.

But...you can do that at Chaeng Wattana or am I mistaken?

26 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Yep,  I am a Non O-A and blocked from coming in.  Renting a place as well in Thailand.  Fridge on etc.  Just had to cancel health insurance i took out today for my O-A requirement.  Australian government was going to allow me out of here on compassionate grounds but Thailand won't let me in, even with a 72 hour medical certificate with pathology showing negative CODVID19 and 100,000USD COVID19 cover (which insurance are about to stop).  I'd even agree to be quarantined for 14 days if they want and they can check.  I want to self isolate.  Absolutely.  

Please Thai government make compassionate allowances for those of us retired and are residing there. I would rather be in Thailand when COVID19 sweeps through.  

I suppose the Thai embassies around the world has stopped issuing non-o visas, since they've now turned out to be pretty useless anyway? I got my non o family visa a few days ago, but now it's worth absolutely nothing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I suppose the Thai embassies around the world has stopped issuing non-o visas, since they've now turned out to be pretty useless anyway? I got my non o family visa a few days ago, but now it's worth absolutely nothing.

If you meet extension requirements you can do so.  But if not in Thailand it can not currently be used for entry - but that should change in time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I guess they will do the same in all countries.
Children have almost no chance of getting this disease, so much the better for them.

On the other hand I see an opportunity for all the governments which spend fortunes to pay pensions to those who have sometimes worked more than 40 years in often painful conditions; I think of farmers, truckers (it was my job), construction workers and a lot of others ...
By the time this Covid was invented to remove all the old people ..

There is only one step that ..............I'll not take. :whistling:

I  think  you  have misunderstood the  reality.

Covid-19 does  not discriminate  in who it infects.

Children are as  likely  to  become infected as  any other.

But remain less effected or asymptomatic which  can be considered as a dangerous aspect in being  carriers.

What the evidence of impact is demonstrating is the  tendency to cause  more serious illness in those who are weakened either by age or existing medical issues that already are a load on the immune system or physiological condition such as gross obesity. ( A factor in the US !)

The presentation of  statistics in terms  of  mortality is  biased to the "age" factor probably due to the obvious fact that with age comes incremental deficiencies in biological function and loss of  resistance  to new infection. Basically the reason all life is  terminal at  some average  point in longevity regardless of species. Being a fit and sprightly  geriatric certainly is an advantage none the less! There are  not so many .

Conversely Children are  born with a maternally  acquired resistance or immunity to a vast number of illnesses but not all. It is an aspect of this disease that is a very important factor in trying to identify the what and why of  impact is closely related to the morbidity of a distinctive community group that seems to exclude  the younger in an incremental reversal age  related impact.

What  seems to support the  conspiracy theories of a designed contagion has already been debunked by the analysis of the  virus which shows  that it is a derivative of  an existing one which neither of have any evidence of synthetic modification such as in a laboratory.

It is the reality of the moment that  need occupy the mindfull consideration  of   everyone.

Being at less  risk is no excuse to disregard those who are.

But that that is being a forced consideration due to the lack of resources is  nothing  short  of a disgusting revelation of the callous nature of humans given the copious warnings expressed for a  very  long time.

Consider this.

Influenza  still destroys lives  in huge  numbers  annually despite vaccines. Any  concern? Not really  because despite that mortality we are  fed the  placebo of targeted intervention which in  real terms is also incrementally  failing.

Collectively many other diseases eliminate people around the world in huge but ignored numbers .

SARS in original form  caused a panic which saw  preparations  globally  for something that did  not  eventuate.

MERS  saw a response relegated to indifference due to SARS established infrastructure sold as preparedness. It still  exists  but  to date has  not been an issue despite  a horrific  mortality  rate when it surfaces. Lucky  us !

Now we  are   experiencing  "Covid-19".

The world  has been  panicked to an extreme ! That is despite a predilection  for mortality in global society that in terms  of the "economic" considerations  of  the predominantly  capitalist word are a  burden to it.

The  poor, the elderly, victim  refugees sitting  in compounds,, the  medically  unfit victims of  self acquired issues  or  occupational damage due to the greed of unscrupulous  employers, whole  nations relegated  to poverty by  International interference and military invasion,   etc etc. 

But  what   do we  get presented  with   and  for  so many  participate  in?

A  comparison  of  how  well individual  nations are  coping  with the  "threat" !

Oh yes  there  are   copious  expressions  of  "sympathy " and concern.

Religious  cults reinforcing sectarian adulation.

Individuals boasting superior protective reaction accomplished by the virtue of selfish means.

Politicians willing to sacrifice sectors of their own community  in the interest of  maintaining  or  re establishing wealth ?

Is  humanity striving  to prove we are the ultimate  virus?

25 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You are not required to reset you entry on an O-A visa - you can extend on any entry during the last 30-45 days.

I know I can do a one year extension near the end of the first year if I wanted.  However, the way I use my Visa is as an O-A ME based upon retirement, near the end of my first year I fly out and return before the Visa expires, and I get another year, which I can keep alive with a re-entry permit if I leave during my second year.  Then near the end of my second year I fly back to California, return to the Los Angeles consulate and turn in another application with the required paperwork for another O-A ME Visa.  Works great for me as I have kids in the US I visit, and up until now I have not had the need to keep 800,000 in my account here, and yes I have the necessary nonsensical Thai HI policy that some think is worthless, but works for me.  So tell me again why I would want to do an extension during normal times.  My point was I will be forced into moving money, which I have been slowly doing anyway, to show the 65,000 baht monthly income stream from my pension, but to also bring it up to 800,000 a few months before I would now need to do an extension, if I can not leave the country and proceed like I have in the past.  Does that answer your own internal question and satisfy you.  One day I might just do the "O" Visa and then extension, the Peter Dennis way through his road map he created and sends to folks wanting to switch so as to not have to have the new HI requirement.......  

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1