What would happen if a Bank goes down?

I can help thinking like lots of guys on here all have money in some Thai banks

In the current situation when lots of us Farangs have at least 800k in a bank and the possibility of the bank going bust

Would the government bail them out? the effect on our visa's I guess would be a nightmare for a lot of people

Do we have any sort of guarantee or are we only covered for so much? 

Am I thinking too mut?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Pravda said:

Well you certainly painted quite a rosy picture.

No, the picture is not rosy, it just looks that way when you compare the facts against what some posters imagine!

Make no mistake the banks will get stressed, that's what Capital Adequacy Ratio's and stress testing are for and that's the real test of a Central Bank to manage such things.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, donnacha said:

As you were one of the most strident voices saying EXACTLY the same thing about Coronavirus, sneering at anyone who suggested it was shaping up to be a problem, I am entirely confident that anything you now have to say about the economic consequences is definitely going to be wrong.

You can't keep placing the wrong bets, while insulting the people who keep getting it right, without eventually undermining your own credibility. Seriously, @saengd, have you no shame?

"As you were one of the most strident voices saying EXACTLY the same thing about Coronavirus, sneering at anyone who suggested it was shaping up to be a problem".

Only in your overly vivid imagination is that true, unless of course you can support anything you claim with a hint of fact and supporting evidence......no, I thought not!

• Like 1

Just now, saengd said:

No, the picture is not rosy, it just looks that way when you compare the facts against what some posters imagine!

Make no mistake the banks will get stressed, that's what Capital Adequacy Ratio's and stress testing are for and that's the real test of a Central Bank to manage such things.

Facts are I'm in a third world country and am yet to hear something that is lot a lie. 

Even in good times when there were rallies back in 2014 against Taksin there was a talk about certain bank going down. My ex wife pulled 3 million and so did many other customers. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Depending the time frame up to my ret ext. Date for renuwing i would have to open a new bank account to transfer in a new 800 k from my abroad home country bank ...

..that would be the most urgent problem as the 2 months seasoning would have to be respected!

As needed time to recover and claim from guarantee funds collapsed bank

1 minute ago, david555 said:

Depending the time frame up to my ret ext. Date for renuwing i would have to open a new bank account to transfer in a new 800 k from my abroad home country bank ...

..that would be the most urgent problem as the 2 months seasoning would have to be respected!

As needed time to recover and claim from guarantee funds collapsed bank

You don't think if a bank were to collapse and you were waiting for a payout from the DPA that the government /Immigration might give you a pass? I think there's  reasonable chance they might.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

BKB phone app working again ........ 20k moved to TMB just in case.

Don't want yesterday's silliness happening again.

Gosh, that is 2 months of living for you.

Good preparation way to go.

????

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, saengd said:

No, you are in a developing economy, the term third world ceased to be of relevance after the cold war.

Your comment about rumors of a bank failure during civil unrest in 2014 needs no further explanation.

The thread title is what would happen if a bank goes down.

I have every right to share my view based on the previous track record and experience. 

The bank is in a great shape until it is not. I think 2008 crisis proves this quite nicely. Ironically you mention certain credit agencies that give Thai banks super duper credibility. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_rating_agencies_and_the_subprime_crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/14/moodys-864m-penalty-for-ratings-in-run-up-to-2008-financial-crisis

edit:

No, I don't think there will be bank run in Thailand, but OP asks a valid question.

Edited by Pravda

4 minutes ago, Pravda said:

The thread title is what would happen if a bank goes down.

I have every right to share my view based on the previous track record and experience. 

The bank is in a great shape until it is not. I think 2008 crisis proves this quite nicely. Ironically you mention certain credit agencies that give Thai banks super duper credibility. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_rating_agencies_and_the_subprime_crisis

edit:

No, I don't think there will be bank run in Thailand, but OP asks a valid question.

Chill out and read what I wrote again and stop getting excited.

30 minutes ago, saengd said:

No, you are in a developing economy, the term third world ceased to be of relevance after the cold war.

Incorrect, the term 2nd world Is irrelevant now and was referring to communist countries. Third World, developing countries and First World are the relevant current terms. 

17 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Gosh, that is 2 months of living for you.

Good preparation way to go.

????

If you're not allowed to go out the house, you don't need much money.

I bought a 45Kg sack of Jasmine rice for 1,300bht, so that's emergency food taken care of.