Pattaya Shutdown! Severe restrictions on movement and closure of hotels among new measures as Covid-19 cases rise rapidly

webfact

Yep, we have two funerals going on in our village, and as much as you can say one was old and the other had a heart attack, nobody will know for sure what the truth is.

But I agree that covering up the truth would quickly be exposed by village gossip.

I know people around me that have been locked up, fined for breaking the law with regard to cannabis and chopping down teak trees. And that isn't down to clever police work, it is people ratting on other people. Generally out of jealousy.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Prove the stats are real that you see.  But first drive yourself north and go to the villages in Udon Thani, and outwards, and see how many funerals they have had recently where the individual died at home and never went to the hospital.  I personally know of 3 from my ex-wife's family that have passed on in just in the past month. In fact my ex flew in on March 2nd for the first of 3 funerals, then flew out back to the US on the 21st.  She and our daughter are still under 14 day quarantine in Ohio now that they are back home.  All 3 of the family members, ages 62, 57, and 60, died of Pneumonia related issues.  Only a police officer went to the houses and took a short report, no testing was ever conducted and no autopsy.  So you need to get real in your views and give credence to the fact that numbers lie and so do governments.  Think of it this way....If there was not an issue at hand why would this country be going into the steps its taking now.  No conspiracy theories from you need to be heard.

Now that’s a sad story and  I hope your ex and family are fine after the ordeal. Probably in hindsite it was a bad idea for your ex to attend given your thoughts on the virus being to blame. Any ideas or local knowledge as to how that family became ill in such a remote region at that early date, what was it late Jan,Feb.?Hopefully it was a one off and no one else is effected....And seriously it’s not me but you spreading the theories of a cover up conspiracy!

1 minute ago, Olmate said:

Now that’s a sad story and  I hope your ex and family are fine after the ordeal. Probably in hindsite it was a bad idea for your ex to attend given your thoughts on the virus being to blame. Any ideas or local knowledge as to how that family became ill in such a remote region at that early date, what was it late Jan,Feb.?Hopefully it was a one off and no one else is effected....And seriously it’s not me but you spreading the theories of a cover up conspiracy!

Yes, it was a bad Idea for her to travel, but family bonds are thick in Thai culture and they were an aunt and 2 uncles.....she new the chances.  The Aunt and uncles had all been down to Bangkok for the Chinese New year celebrations and then back north on the normal buses they all use for long travel.  Been quite a few with flu like issues and chest related congestion off and on for the last month.  Local clinic just gives them meds and tells them to stay home.  No one goes to the hospitals as you have a huge cue at the government hospitals.  I never said anything about a conspiracy, I only pointed out that testing is not being done on the deceased, and the only one I know of that was tested was the guy who died on the train.  My issue is if they are not testing and you have people dying, then how do you know if it was or was not this virus.  Folks wont go to the hospitals either because they fear that if they are actually tested that they will be thrown into a facility and disappear without family to visit them.  They would rather stay at home surrounding by caring family members....

1 hour ago, J Town said:

Yeah . . . ALL the doctors, ALL the nurses, ALL the mid-level hands-on politicians around the globe have conspired against society.

No the doctors and the nurses are heroes always. But the predictions are going horribly wrong. China built a hospital in a few days but it was hardly used. The UK for example have planned for worse case scenario and built a field hospital in a week, but the NHS is coping admirably at the moment they are nowhere near capacity. This virus should have been treated like a normal flu epidemic instead of creating mass hysteria based on conflicting evidence.

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, jimn said:

they are nowhere near capacity

In parts of the UK they are way over capacity. This means that patients with other problems are waiting too long for procedures and attention.

Listen to this then maybe you will stop your nonsense:

1 minute ago, jimn said:

Whats the problem. People die of Pneumonia in Thailand every year brought on by being sick with the flu etc. But suddenly its a big deal because the media say so. Everyone including you have fallen for it hook line and sinker.

Never in my life have I seen as many family members die and friends of mine who were co-workers in the US die at what is now considered to be young ages because of the flu.  Life expectancy has increased due to medicine and treatment.  As someone with a medical background and who has family in the medical field, I have never witnessed the amount of pneumonia, and the ferocity it has that is now being seen.  We are not even into the true flu season yet here in Thailand, so what your saying may or may not have any bearing.  I just know that normal autopsies performed normally include checks for know pathogens in order to determine the cause of death.  Could this be done here, sure it could, but is it or has it ever, the answer for the most part is no it is not done unless foul play is being expected.  I have no contact with the media other to see what I believe based upon my life experience is a lack of true clarity and reporting of what they are being told to report.  As far as Pattaya being shut off from the rest of the Area round it, obviously only the Governor and his staff would be able to make that decision based upon what they are being told.  So the question is what are they being told that we are not.  Transparency would be nice but then having lived here for many years, the only way things come to the surface is when people start to question the authority in masses, and that is not ever going to happen in my life time with this issue.

10 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Allow me to correct myself.  I'm doing something in between social distancing and self isolation. 

I am still going to the supermarket, but that's about it. 

No fear, no panic.  Just keeping social contact to a bare minimum. 

Fair enough I wish you well.

3 minutes ago, jimn said:

I am not going to marginalise a UK doctor no way. Yes there will be areas in the country who are overwelmed but this is not true everywhere. How many people on the ventilators would have been on them anyway, no one ever says that.

I'll say it: probably none of them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never in my life have I seen as many family members die and friends of mine who were co-workers in the US die at what is now considered to be young ages because of the flu.  Life expectancy has increased due to medicine and treatment.  As someone with a medical background and who has family in the medical field, I have never witnessed the amount of pneumonia, and the ferocity it has that is now being seen.  We are not even into the true flu season yet here in Thailand, so what your saying may or may not have any bearing.  I just know that normal autopsies performed normally include checks for know pathogens in order to determine the cause of death.  Could this be done here, sure it could, but is it or has it ever, the answer for the most part is no it is not done unless foul play is being expected.  I have no contact with the media other to see what I believe based upon my life experience is a lack of true clarity and reporting of what they are being told to report.  As far as Pattaya being shut off from the rest of the Area round it, obviously only the Governor and his staff would be able to make that decision based upon what they are being told.  So the question is what are they being told that we are not.  Transparency would be nice but then having lived here for many years, the only way things come to the surface is when people start to question the authority in masses, and that is not ever going to happen in my life time with this issue.

Good post. I have lived in Thailand on the Darkside Pattaya for 7 years prior to that I was visiting for 6 years. I know many people here both Thai and Farang. At this time I only know of 1 person who has caught the virus and that was because he had just returned from 3 weeks in the US.

9 minutes ago, jimn said:

Yes there will be areas in the country who are overwelmed but this is not true everywhere.

So, where do you think MAY be overwhelmed in Thailand?  Would it be the tourist areas, like Pattaya? 

On 4/3/2020 at 4:00 AM, Skallywag said:

Anyone here in Pattaya on holiday should have left on or before March 17. 

Enough said

Not enough thought went into this post ...

Got out on the 25th March, having had 2 earlier flights out cancelled ..not for the want of trying.. 

So much for 'arm chair' experts  ...?  

43 minutes ago, jimn said:

No the doctors and the nurses are heroes always. But the predictions are going horribly wrong. China built a hospital in a few days but it was hardly used. The UK for example have planned for worse case scenario and built a field hospital in a week, but the NHS is coping admirably at the moment they are nowhere near capacity. This virus should have been treated like a normal flu epidemic instead of creating mass hysteria based on conflicting evidence.

Let's revisit this one week from now, and to my CORE I hope you are right, but numbers would decry your premise.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

All 3 of the family members, ages 62, 57, and 60, died of Pneumonia related issues. 

"Pneumonia" seems to be Thailand's way of either covering up the real statistics, incompetence, or simply being the 3rd World Country for which it is.  

My condolences. 

On 4/4/2020 at 1:04 AM, Youlike said:

This is the perfect time to totally bulldozer Pattaya to the ground, build new drains and electric/water/gas underground and then start building a new city...wide roads with busstops, skytrain, clean great beaches with a shaded boulevard....palmtree's everywhere, benches everywhere, high class resorts, new wide sidewalks....and so on.

But it will never happen...it will always be a filthy mess.

No law against dreaming.

My dream is that they bulldoze all the malls except Royal Garden and build lots of barbeers where they used to be, and the hotels can't charge more than 300 a night and the BGs only charge 500 a night. Ah, Pattaya was the cheese back in the 90s.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Compared to 7 billion + even a million is a "few". Will it even reach the numbers that died during the Spanish flue and the world population was probably a quarter of now back then?

I guess it all depends on who, and who's family and friends, are part of the "few." 

Here's an idea, how about the world forget about money for a moment and all try to all save each other.  Yes, a novel idea, I know.

The virus has already mutated over half a dozen times into different strains.  Maybe if we let it to continue to mutate, bats will be feeding on the dead corpses of humankind in the future. 

It just might be a good idea to take the fight to it, and hopefully prevail. 

Humans don't replicate as fast as bacteria and viruses. (Charles Darwin's theory)  They may just out "evolve" us.  

Google "Multidrug Resistant Bacteria"  for how microbes are one step ahead of us.

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Google "Multidrug Resistant Bacteria"  for how microbes are one step ahead of us.

As a nurse I was entirely familiar with drug resistant bacteria- I don't need to google it.

Entirely caused by humans when they overused it, and didn't complete the course etc.

Some of us believe that Gaia is going to reduce the population and this virus may be the means, or if not this one, the one after or the one after that. That'll serve us for being terrible inhabitants of the planet and destroying it.

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I get it I'll be one of the "few" for sure. If I do I'm sure I won't be happy to suffocate to death, but it'll beat dying slowly with cancer.

How about trying not to become a host for the virus in the first place.

Prevention is great, particularly when there is no cure.  ????

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Leaver said:

How about trying not to become a host for the virus in the first place.

Prevention is great, particularly when there is no cure.  ????

I don't venture out much anyway, but even I have to eat, so must go to the supermarket. There is no way to not get it if an infected person spreads droplets on me unless wearing hazmat suit and they ain't handing them out at the moment.

good post on youtube.  The guy is there.  Hotel closure announcement.  Hotels can stay open if they have guests.  His hotel let him stay if he pays as an apartment for like a month, which is OK for many people.  His hotel gym and pool is still open.  Not the worst situation, assuming one could afford to stay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56LvjRmgB1Q

On 4/3/2020 at 11:41 AM, Timwin said:

Pattaya won't be at all the same after this pandemic. Most restaurants and hotels were not doing that well even before this plus countless vendors. I'd hate to see Pattaya turned into some de facto Chinese owned polluting factory city.

They over sold and over built the same shops over and over and over.  Would hate to see just hundreds and hundreds of shuttered shops, dilapidated buildings that just get over run with rats and other pests.  My first visit was in 2004 and I made it back 15 times. The place brightened my life.  Paradise lost.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2020 at 4:27 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

No law against dreaming.

My dream is that they bulldoze all the malls except Royal Garden and build lots of barbeers where they used to be, and the hotels can't charge more than 300 a night and the BGs only charge 500 a night. Ah, Pattaya was the cheese back in the 90s.

He surely is not aware that people leave California. This place he thinks dirty caters for lot of people while in 'high class' ressorts , only top names make money and you have beggars everywhere. I like it seedy and cheap because many have fun and many others make money. By the way this is not your country , Thais do as they please

On 4/3/2020 at 5:00 PM, connda said:

The virus isn't mutating. Whether it does or not until we have a vaccine a very large majority of people will refuse to get on a plane or travel.

Even it we do get a vaccine it may only last a certain length of time.

Looks like we have a very dangerous new virus that is going to be in general circulation. Personally, i think history will judge these lockdowns as a complete waste of time. We may have 2 choices, get on with it or have no freedom.

UK adviser said that an exit strategy had not even been discussed yet.

We all can look at graphs all day, if the best defence we have is locking the global population down for 1 year plus there will be rioting on the street.

The press and population will do as there told first time round, after that there could be some serious civil disobedience.

• Thanks 2

On 4/5/2020 at 7:13 AM, jacko45k said:

24,000 near. 

Really?  Yet a sick Russian and Thai present to the hospital, will all the symptoms, and are sent home without a test. 

Makes you wonder how many have been sent home, but they actually have Corona Virus?