Pattaya Shutdown! Severe restrictions on movement and closure of hotels among new measures as Covid-19 cases rise rapidly

webfact

54 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Not quite true.

If Thailand persists with rubbery figures, western countries will not lift their travel warnings on Thailand, and with standing travel warnings, comes no travel insurance.  So, Thai authorities can give the all clear, but that doesn't mean western countries will give the all clear for Thailand.

Whilst Thai authorities can end the shut down, that doesn't mean businesses will open back up, because there will be still no tourists to open up for. 

Bit of a nothing post in all fairness, most Governments are advising against all travel anywhere ! ????

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

Bit of a nothing post in all fairness, most Governments are advising against all travel anywhere ! ????

Wow.  Really?  I didn't know that.  Thanks. 

What about, say, 6 to 12 months from now? 

11 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I agree, but I was talking more about the Corona Virus effect on tourism to Thailand, not the global economic impact on tourism to Thailand.  Of course, they will both play their part in Thailand's tourism industry rebuild in the future.

I was talking about the recession CAUSED by the government reaction to the virus. They may save a few lives but will, IMO ruin millions.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

True that. Massive over reaction nationwide. Still under 2,000 cases and barely 100 new cases a day. Like a pimple on a teens face. That is NOT a cases rising rapidly scenario. 

This is not the zombie apocalypse, though you might think so, based on the millions of businesses being shut down. The deprivation of income for the ones barely getting by, will be far worse than the 4,000 or 5,000 cases total that Thailand will likely end up with. 

I think if there would be no cases as evidence as in Europe, UK and US etc. so rapidly increasing everyday

... then this would not happen here. No shutdown.

But maybe, ppl are just worried when they see it happening somewhere else and take pre-cautions.

Before it becomes zombie apocalypse.

18 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Im not sure why you have jumped from honest or dishonest figures to travel insurance, that, with respect is irrelevant right now as it something to be determined in the future, and TBH insurance companies are hardly respectable when it comes to paying out (on the whole). The WHO relies on figures supplied by each nation so when all this is over, the global figures for deaths and cases that resulted in recovery will be submitted by each nation and totalled by the WHO to give a global figure for both? Whether those figures are close or way off are and will be up for debate and we will never know. This is why Im asking people who are claiming the figures that are way more than publicised to show it or shut it. 

Im not making ANY claims on the figures but the ones publicised are the only ones we have. So for those who dont believe them, thats up to them, but I dont accept being told what to think by the likes of joecoolfrog who tries to make everyone believe something just because he believes it, just like I dont force people into thinking the way I think. People like that are just as fascist as how we are being treated by the govt. 

I am thinking ahead.  Travel insurance is certainly relevant to tourists.  How many tourist travel without travel insurance?  If it was a very small percentage, there wouldn't be as many travel insurance companies.  You could survey 100 tourists and I am sure most would have travel insurance, for the same reasons many expats have health insurance here.

Ok, let's just say Thailand submits their figures to the WHO, and the WHO say, "Liar Liar pants on fire."  Where does Thailand go from there????

8 hours ago, jimn said:

Such an overreaction with only 61 cases and thats in the whole of ChonBuri not just Pattaya. Dont forget thats from the start of the problem. Without looking it up there will be some of those 61 who are now recovered.  Wonder where they will put the roadblocks. At each entrance on to the Sukumvidt I presume. Absolute nonsence.

In my condo building  they even suspended 1 double elevator …, so now all has to go with the 1 remaining double one (with risk for more closer contact as more people in1...) , and also changed the security guard positions straight next entrance door with some papers & hand gel , so probably an extra control , I did not see any temperature meter however  …. maybe coming (?) , the7/11 on the premises has only access with wearing  mask , and they where cleaning like crazy all the handles an door styles from entrance and drinks fridges 

Seems like panic in the making ….

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

I am thinking ahead.  Travel insurance is certainly relevant to tourists.  How many tourist travel without travel insurance?  If it was a very small percentage, there wouldn't be as many travel insurance companies.  You could survey 100 tourists and I am sure most would have travel insurance, for the same reasons many expats have health insurance here.

Ok, let's just say Thailand submits their figures to the WHO, and the WHO say, "Liar Liar pants on fire."  Where does Thailand go from there????

OK well as far as Insurance goes that is another topic altogether, especially regarding the future so if we can stay on topic regarding WHO and similarities thats sound. Im not disagreeing with your perception on what may or may not happen in the future but for now its a non story

As for the WHO saying "liar liar" that wouldnt surprise me one bit, because as far as I am concenerned, the likes of the WHO, UN and EU are not fit for purpose anyway! They are all snug when things are going well (apart from the UN who have issues all around the globe constantly yet fail to do much about them) but as soon as a crisis arrives, they are as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
All those EU fans are now seeing how useless they are in regards to this pandemic and how it relates to Italy. World leaders have been shredded for their 'wait and see' approach including ones I support, but Im not stupid enough to back them when they have failed to nip this early like so called 3rd world countries like Vietnam have? Not 1 death yet and I obviously dont need to point out that Vietnam borders the country that created this pandemic, so hats off to them, they obviously got it right so far and chased down infected people to its origin

Thailand might become a country riddled with it but as yet, there is no proof it has become as bad as the likes of the UK or US who are looking like making Italy a non story!! If people were dropping like flies here, we would know about it through social media, there are whistle blowers everywhere and something like this with todays technology would be hard to cover up, unless it is in China or NK

• Like 2

I have a retirement Visa and have been living in the same hotel for years. If it closes what the hell am I meant to do? I have been saying for weeks all these measures are too late and the number of cases and deaths are unfortunately going to rise steadily. 

Will they be enforcing the 22:00 nationwide curfew of the 23:00 Chonburi imposed curfew? They do say the government curfew takes precedence, so this might mean shops will close an hour earlier to allow people to get home by 22:00.

14 minutes ago, P100 said:

who says it's only 61 cases? do you believe in junta numbers?

You just asked a question and answered it in the same sentence??

Those numbers are all any of us have. Why are you insistent on making everyone believe different just because you dont believe them? 61 is a figure that cases have jumped to in ChonBuri, not the total it has jumped to in the whole of Thailand or the total amount of cases in Thailand altogether. Why is that figure so hard to accept? Its 61 new cases in ONE REGION

Why dont you tell us what the figure is that you suspect and why you come to that figure?

3 minutes ago, robert888d said:

I have a retirement Visa and have been living in the same hotel for years. If it closes what the hell am I meant to do? I have been saying for weeks all these measures are too late and the number of cases and deaths are unfortunately going to rise steadily. 

Where do you live Robert?

5 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:
6 hours ago, Chivas said:

Enough warnings were given to foreigners to get out and go home and that includes those that claim to be "expats"

No point whinging now whatsover.

I havent read to the end of this topic yet, but up until now, I havent read 1 post that comes across as whinging, more concern about the ambiguity of the rules and how certain services will be affected or affect them, but not 1 whinge

Are you one of those that are great in a crisis? You know, the ones who say "I told you so" with the great benefit of hindsight?

"Are you one of those that are great in a crisis? You know, the ones who say "I told you so" with the great benefit of hindsight?"

Sure rings like it, Yeah?

• Confused 1

Just now, Andy from Kent said:

"Are you one of those that are great in a crisis? You know, the ones who say "I told you so" with the great benefit of hindsight?"

Sure rings like it, Yeah?

You're obviously not great at reading comprehension. I was accusing him of that because he piped up giving advice after the event, not during it. I hope this short comment is short enough for you to grasp. And to be honest, yes. I predicted long ago after the govt implemented its 1st law that there would be more to follow and hey, look whats happening ???? 

Thanks for giving me such a smug warm feeling

20 minutes ago, robert888d said:

I'm exactly in the same boat as you, not sure if my place will close or not but it's definitely stressful.

I've been checking some apartments/condo's on airbnb and there's some good deals to be had at the moment.

Just an option.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

OK well as far as Insurance goes that is another topic altogether, especially regarding the future so if we can stay on topic regarding WHO and similarities thats sound. Im not disagreeing with your perception on what may or may not happen in the future but for now its a non story

As for the WHO saying "liar liar" that wouldnt surprise me one bit, because as far as I am concenerned, the likes of the WHO, UN and EU are not fit for purpose anyway! They are all snug when things are going well (apart from the UN who have issues all around the globe constantly yet fail to do much about them) but as soon as a crisis arrives, they are as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
All those EU fans are now seeing how useless they are in regards to this pandemic and how it relates to Italy. World leaders have been shredded for their 'wait and see' approach including ones I support, but Im not stupid enough to back them when they have failed to nip this early like so called 3rd world countries like Vietnam have? Not 1 death yet and I obviously dont need to point out that Vietnam borders the country that created this pandemic, so hats off to them, they obviously got it right so far and chased down infected people to its origin

Thailand might become a country riddled with it but as yet, there is no proof it has become as bad as the likes of the UK or US who are looking like making Italy a non story!! If people were dropping like flies here, we would know about it through social media, there are whistle blowers everywhere and something like this with todays technology would be hard to cover up, unless it is in China or NK

Good post.  Believe me, I hear you.

Ok, so the travel insurance is a future issue, but in my opinion, it will be in issue for Thailand in the future.  I think it is on topic, but I agree, it's for the future. 

Vietnam didn't mess about.  They will be through this a lot quicker than many countries, and way quicker than Thailand. Their tourism industry increased 28.9% in one year.  There might just be a changing of the guard when all this is finished. 

At the moment, and I repeat, at the moment, there are not make shift hospitals and morgues being built and dead everywhere.  However, as you said, that "might" happen.  A lot of tourists that may have Corona have left Thailand.  They are now back in their home country, either healthy, sick, or dead.  They will not appear on Thailand's statistics. 

The recent shut downs saw thousands of predominately younger Thai's, working in tourism, and hospitality, and also the sex trade, return home to mama, papa, and grand mama,and grand papa.  In my opinion, a crazy move, but also a smart move.  They can control what information comes out of Issan more easily, plus, it will create the illusion that Pattaya did not have the virus so bad.

So, I think you will see a rising death toll in Issan shortly, and that will make global news.   

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Wow.  Really?  I didn't know that.  Thanks. 

What about, say, 6 to 12 months from now? 

The thread is about the current Pattaya shutdown, your post did not specify timelines, so suggest you be more accurate in future as opposed to smug,

I'd imagine in 6 or 12 months from now if the pandemic is over and there are no new/low infections infections then foreign governments will probably lift their warnings. Doubtful they will take the <deleted> you post into consideration when assessing travel guidance.

27 minutes ago, robert888d said:

How can you "say for weeks" the measures are too late, and then complain about hotel closures? 

5 minutes ago, maechanman said:

I'm exactly in the same boat as you, not sure if my place will close or not but it's definitely stressful.

I've been checking some apartments/condo's on airbnb and there's some good deals to be had at the moment.

Just an option.

Did you read the OP ? If a Hotel has guests its their choice if they close. The Hotel should know if they are going to close, ask them.

"Hotels that still have guests were given three days to decide whether to close down or stay open."

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1