Pattaya Shutdown! Severe restrictions on movement and closure of hotels among new measures as Covid-19 cases rise rapidly

webfact

2 minutes ago, sungod said:

The thread is about the current Pattaya shutdown, your post did not specify timelines, so suggest you be more accurate in future as opposed to smug,

I'd imagine in 6 or 12 months from now if the pandemic is over and there are no new/low infections infections then foreign governments will probably lift their warnings. Doubtful they will take the <deleted> you post into consideration when assessing travel guidance.

Well, of course we are talking about 6 to 12 month in the future, maybe longer.

Do you seriously think this will all be finished in 1 month from now???? 

The CURRENT Pattaya is still going to be the CURRENT Pattaya 6 to 12 months from now.  Businesses will still be closed, either because they have been still ordered to remain closed, have gone broke, or voluntarily remain closed because there are no tourists so no point opening. 

What we have here now is what we are going to have for sometime to come.

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

My main concern would be how to get @NCC1701A into the city in order to single-handedly revive the working girl trade.

I told you guys to buy him a condo weeks ago!

I tried to buy him a condo, but no one would take my money, they said all the bills were from a Dirty Foreigner, and were contaminated.....so I did what any red blooded American would do, I made it rain, and you know what....no one ran to pick up the money, it just blew into the ocean....oh well it will be laundered now.....

• Haha 1

This is insane. There's sweet FA people left in Patts, nothing much open, almost no-one can enter the country, well tourists at least. And I thought Oz was the nanny state. Crossing between provinces I can understand a health check or checking that you have a valid reason, but preventing travel in and out of such a small geographical area, crazy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Did you read the OP ? If a Hotel has guests its their choice if they close. The Hotel should know if they are going to close, ask them.

"Hotels that still have guests were given three days to decide whether to close down or stay open."

Yes I did read the OP and fully understand that is their choice.

8 hours ago, Susco said:

What is going to happen with people staying right outside Pattaya? They are now derived from buying essential items like food, since all supermarkets are inside Pattaya, and the markets are closed.

Don't tell us we have to live on 7/11 food

Fresh food markets are not closed. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

There might just be a changing of the guard when all this is finished. 

I would hope so and maybe that will be the only way the Kingdom will realise that the army has <deleted> up in a big way

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

They will not appear on Thailand's statistics.

Correct and talking of Nam, like I said, they did a great job of chasing down the source of origin in their infected natives returning from abroad

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

it will create the illusion that Pattaya did not have the virus so bad.

I agree, I think if Pattaya was allowed to carry on with the 'normal' way it operates/ed we would be seeing so many more issues with everything naughty that goes on here!! But I think now all the sex workers have gone home, which no doubt could cause huge problems, we that are left (and the place is dead!) should be allowed to be adults and be allowed to have a meal or beer within set guidelines. Those being only allowed in an establishment where only 2 people sit diagonally to each other at a 4 person table, wear a mask and the establishment is only allowed to be 50% capacity. I understand most on here will wet themselves at the thought of that, but if all establishments opened back up and these laws were adhered, there wouldnt be enough people here to hit the max occupancy of 50% if the border laws between each province were stuck to (as in not allowing anyone from other areas to come down and take advantage). they could have staff on the 'doors' turning people away if an establishment was at 50% occupancy. But the rule of law by being so autocratic here will never allow that, even though it would work IMO. The gogos could also turn into bars opening more establishments without the need for girls like on LK or Soi sex

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

If travel warnings remain in place, there is no travel insurance, and a vast majority of tourists will not travel without travel insurance. 

Seems a lot travel to Thailand without insurance !!

9 minutes ago, Aliflair said:

This is insane. There's sweet FA people left in Patts, nothing much open, almost no-one can enter the country, well tourists at least. And I thought Oz was the nanny state. Crossing between provinces I can understand a health check or checking that you have a valid reason, but preventing travel in and out of such a small geographical area, crazy.

Certainly crazy now, after they let thousands leave so recently. 

20 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Well, of course we are talking about 6 to 12 month in the future, maybe longer.

Do you seriously think this will all be finished in 1 month from now???? 

The CURRENT Pattaya is still going to be the CURRENT Pattaya 6 to 12 months from now.  Businesses will still be closed, either because they have been still ordered to remain closed, have gone broke, or voluntarily remain closed because there are no tourists so no point opening. 

What we have here now is what we are going to have for sometime to come.

Thanks, agreed.

6 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

I would hope so and maybe that will be the only way the Kingdom will realise that the army has <deleted> up in a big way

Correct and talking of Nam, like I said, they did a great job of chasing down the source of origin in their infected natives returning from abroad

I agree, I think if Pattaya was allowed to carry on with the 'normal' way it operates/ed we would be seeing so many more issues with everything naughty that goes on here!! But I think now all the sex workers have gone home, which no doubt could cause huge problems, we that are left (and the place is dead!) should be allowed to be adults and be allowed to have a meal or beer within set guidelines. Those being only allowed in an establishment where only 2 people sit diagonally to each other at a 4 person table, wear a mask and the establishment is only allowed to be 50% capacity. I understand most on here will wet themselves at the thought of that, but if all establishments opened back up and these laws were adhered, there wouldnt be enough people here to hit the max occupancy of 50% if the border laws between each province were stuck to (as in not allowing anyone from other areas to come down and take advantage). they could have staff on the 'doors' turning people away if an establishment was at 50% occupancy. But the rule of law by being so autocratic here will never allow that, even though it would work IMO. The gogos could also turn into bars opening more establishments without the need for girls like on LK or Soi sex

Vietnam were more serious about this right from the start, and yes, their tracing of the infected really helped them to get right on top of it, early. 

Vietnam put health before wealth, unlike the Thai's, who still allowed plane loads of Chinese and other nationalities, to still keep come in.  Vietnam's short term economic pain from their lack of tourism will see them be able to recover their tourism industry quicker, long after Thailand.  Vietnam may very well be "the go to palce" whilst Thailand is still closed for business.    

As for businesses opening back up, if you give an inch, they will take a mile here.  I do have a question for you, what makes you think it would be profitable for many place to open with the restrictions you mentioned, and even let's say with zero restrictions, without any tourists, why would you think many places would bother to open at all?  It wouldn't be profitable.   

18 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I don't think so.

I can understand an insurance company not covering a drunk backpacker on a rented motor scooter, with no license.

There's a different between having no insurance and not being covered for an incident.  

Edited by Leaver

1 minute ago, Leaver said:
19 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I don't think so.

I would disagree. In this "YOLO" generation, they don't think past the nose on their faces.

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I don't think so.

I can understand an insurance company not covering a drunk backpacker on a rented motor scooter, with no license.

There's a different between having no insurance and not being covered for an incident.  

when in peak times its like every other day a gofundme pops up cause the person has gotten into the poo and they don't have insurance to cover it.

9 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Anyone here in Pattaya on holiday should have left on or before March 17. 

Enough said

What if we can't actually go, because home country is not allowing anyone in!

I am in that situation, and I know of 4 others in the same situation.

And what about the people who have been unable to get a flight?

Perhaps it is you who should leave, because you clearly have no compassion, and you are not welcome in Thailand!!!!

Re: 61 cases... "only numbers we've got". Those numbers may or may not be correct (covers the waterfront, eh?)

Using probabilities requires narrowing down some variables. How many people live in Pattaya? for openers. Has a respectfully large number of random members of population been tested? (No, and that is why it is just guessing). If there was a random sampling of meaningful size, then we could figure what the percentage of population with virus should be with perhaps a 95% confidence level. It's percentage of infection in total population we should be focusing on.

To do otherwise would be like surveying occupation of Thai women in xyz bar and concluding "all Thai women are hookers" based on this very small, very selective population. I would bet many TV posters have reached a similar conclusion because of where they did their sampling. Cheers

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

when in peak times its like every other day a gofundme pops up cause the person has gotten into the poo and they don't have insurance to cover it.

And what about the thousands of elderly, families, and couples, who come here?  Do you see go fund me for them?

8 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Re: 61 cases... "only numbers we've got". Those numbers may or may not be correct (covers the waterfront, eh?)

Using probabilities requires narrowing down some variables. How many people live in Pattaya? for openers. Has a respectfully large number of random members of population been tested? (No, and that is why it is just guessing). If there was a random sampling of meaningful size, then we could figure what the percentage of population with virus should be with perhaps a 95% confidence level. It's percentage of infection in total population we should be focusing on.

To do otherwise would be like surveying occupation of Thai women in xyz bar and concluding "all Thai women are hookers" based on this very small, very selective population. I would bet many TV posters have reached a similar conclusion because of where they did their sampling. Cheers

I agree with your post, but would suggest, it's doesn't have to be so random.  JUST DO SOME TESTING.  They are not even testing people presenting at hospital with all the symptoms. (see Russian and Thai girlfriend story)

Picture an elder expat with their symptoms.  They go to hospital, fearing the worse.  They know they are sick, and could get real sick, very soon.  They are NOT TESTED and sent home.  For an elderly expat, basically sent home to die.  I dare say we will see that soon, sadly, mabey a lot of it.  Not to mention the elderly in Issan.  Of course, these deaths will be caused by "pneumonia." 

It could end up like the the story of all the dead tourists in the one particular Chiang Mai hotel, some years ago.  Oh, a coincidence. Ah, no, bed bug spray.   

• Like 1

Thank God I renewed my retirement visa for another year on March 6th.... Turn out the lights, the party's over boys! I predict 50% of all farang owned bars, restaurants and businesses will all be wiped out never to return again! If Pattaya and the rest of Thailand does not cut off all ties with evil, communist China, Thailand will be in for a world of hurt!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Georgie65 said:

Thank God I renewed my retirement visa for another year on March 6th.... Turn out the lights, the party's over boys! I predict 50% of all farang owned bars, restaurants and businesses will all be wiped out never to return again! If Pattaya and the rest of Thailand does not cut off all ties with evil, communist China, Thailand will be in for a world of hurt!!!!!

•  

Try 80%, and on that basis, why so glad you have renewed? 

9 hours ago, stephenterry said:

IMO, and with due respect to those self-isolating - the casual attitude to Covid19 shown by many backpackers and irresponsible expats in all major tourist areas is now resulting in an increase of infection rates. It's becoming clear that what goes around comes around. 

I hope the message sinks in at last.

i have a friend from back home in pattaya, he has continued to take girls back to his hotel, absolutely crazy behavior by him and the girls. seems some people just dont care.

• Thanks 1

I just read an article from the Bangkok Post from 18H43 today that says the lockdown is under consideration. It maybe implemented in the next 3 days but is not yet in effect. Authorities will check with hotels in the next 3 days to see if it will be imposed.

Does anyone know if that is correct or is the lockdown starting today? 

31 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Try 80%, and on that basis, why so glad you have renewed? 

Things are much worse in my hometown back in the states!!! Besides, I live here, and haven't been back to the USA in 8 years! I survived Sonny Black and Murder INC. back in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, in the 70s and 80s.. This is a cake walk in comparison! Ain't never going home!!!!!

Edited by Georgie65
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, chaiyaphumcharlie said:

I just read an article from the Bangkok Post from 18H43 today that says the lockdown is under consideration. It maybe implemented in the next 3 days but is not yet in effect. Authorities will check with hotels in the next 3 days to see if it will be imposed.

Curfew from today I think 10pm to 4am

1 minute ago, Georgie65 said:

Things are much worse in my hometown back in the states!!! Besides, I live here, and haven't been back to the USA in 8 years! Ain't never going home!!!!!

Depending on your age, if you were to get the virus, I'm sure you would change your mind. 

7 minutes ago, chaiyaphumcharlie said:

Does it matter?  They have no customers.  They will close soon anyway.