Classic car dream shattered in Thailand

KenY

There're many great garages, but also some garages totally wasting time. Most us language barrier guys endup the latter. 

In 2017 my old Celi got frontended, driven to insurance-contracted garage, they let her sit 3 months doing absolutely nothing, left me no car to commute. Even worse they let my car - dissassembled, sitting near their car wash, very much f-rust-tration inducing. When confronted, the garage owner silly man even threathened me with very rude words. 

Finally I fed up, contacted insurance and police, moved my car home paying nothing to that garage. Then I sourced frontcut in no time, DIY repaired within a month, along with many upgrades. Fortunately insurance payed me all expense. 

Honestly owning old car could be very difficult, my project car is like 1 month drive 2 months on jackstand. Last year august I ordered some turbo gaskets from Toyota, they said wait 6 months deliever next year february. And in february they said wait another 6 months.... speechless. I think if go for full strip full restoration, a busy garage could take 1 year to finish the job and is reasonable. But 3 year - hell no way. 

• Like 1

Why has your dream been shattered, can't you use another restorer?   You're not saying that, based on one experience of that one company (that you allowed to keep the car despite many red flags and opportunities to stop the project), the company you selected is the only one in Thailand or representative of the entire industry, surely?

15 minutes ago, CarlBkk said:

How about a bit of support for a fellow foreigners who was getting screwed please guys?

Tough audience today! if this reaction is an example of what happens to people when they are left alone for a while there should be interesting days! ☮️

image.jpeg.78080c25cb9a96eb3b4d6387f3f175db.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I'm sure you can get it via PM. Defamation laws and all that.

"Under Section 326 of the Thai Criminal Code, defamation is defined as whoever imputes anything about another person to a third person in a manner likely to impair the person’s reputation or place the person in contempt or hatred by others. When defamation is committed by publication or other media made visible by any means, the offender is liable for imprisonment for up to two years and a fine of up to 200,000 baht. If the person who is accused of defamation is able to prove that the statement is true, the person shall not be punished."

Sounds like a police report with a successful retrieval of funds would be fine for assuming your official statements are true for all intents and purposes. But why complain and demand an apology and then not even include a business name with your lengthy review. Im sure he could of got more comfort and sympathy on yelp

29 minutes ago, CarlBkk said:

snip

now what the OP needs to do is publish the name of the garage for us all to avoid. Then your 2 minutes of reading won’t be wasted.

The OP did in fact name the garage in his original post but has obviously been taken out for 'name and shame'  reasons.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

As annoying and frustrating as it must be for the OP to have his hopes repeatedly built up and dashed over a 3 year period, why compound the misery by "naming and shaming" the subject body shop with the possibility of being embroiled in a costly law suit, or worse, a criminal case?

• Like 2

I had a car restored in Bangkok about five years ago. I used the 'Pay As You Go' method, paying up as various targets of the build were met. Had no problems whatsoever, but this bloke came highly recommended. 

I think the OP is fortunate to get both his car and his money back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

was it your land rover or you were buying one from them and having them restore it? I think you are very very very lucky that you got your money back. 

They supplied the landrover and restoration. Yes, I am. Thank you.

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The OP was edited to remove details as per this forum rule..

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel. Any such posts will be removed and the poster may face an immediate ban.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

If you want details I suggest you PM the OP as they cannot be published here.

Thank you for your message and recommendation Charlie. I thought my post would help others from being scammed in Thailand. I have copy of the Police report and related documents to support my incident. Honestly, I had to go through an emotional breakdown to get my money back!

• Like 1