Americans, Have You Received Your Virus Stimulus Check From Trump Yet?

The NYT had an update/Q&A on the subject after the Senate's passage the other day.... Their version has the U.S. person being able to use their 2019 tax filing as their basis if already filed, or 2018 if 2019 not yet filed. And the income threshold being based on your "adjusted gross income" as listed on your federal tax return.  If you're a U.S. citizen with a SS# who has a direct deposit set up for your tax refunds, they said the stimulus payment would go there.

PS - Their Q&A not surprisingly didn't deal with the issue of people who have a foreign address on their tax filings vs those who use a U.S. address.

444231033_2020-03-2702_20_10.thumb.jpg.55be69b0533ec4710c34eb1731839eec.jpg

840149349_2020-03-2702_20_36.thumb.jpg.37e95366649a6b24958222d5f7e497ca.jpg

986162335_2020-03-2702_23_05.thumb.jpg.55737c55c0b218f594ca0682b5d8187f.jpg

427529880_2020-03-2702_28_42.thumb.jpg.81d0a298c2127f515aa052396148b537.jpg

726353713_2020-03-2702_30_10.thumb.jpg.a01e24928a0cbf3e960b8fb1e44f8102.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

if no bank info on your 1040, irs will send a paper notice.

and if you already filed with your overseas address, will be sent there...probably?

if airmail not operating, send by surface mail?  2 months?

hope to hear more information soon, maybe announce a dedicated hotline or email for stimulus checks.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

well I need new undies so Ill be spending it on Amazon. Hopefully I will get back to the states to get it before my old ones fall apart.

No need to buy undies off Amazon....just buy some from a local Thai store.  Of course the undies will be Thai waist size which means you need to have two pairs sworn together to make one pair farang size.  ????

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, Pib said:

No need to buy undies off Amazon....just buy some from a local Thai store.  Of course the undies will be Thai waist size which means you need to have two pairs sworn together to make one pair farang size.  ????

Even though its all made here, the good stuff gets exported ????

I hope everyone realizes that at this point in time the stimulus payments are really just an advance "loan" on your 2020 taxes....not a free giveaway of money.....next step is for Congress to determine how the payback will occur....if payback will be required...over what time period....maybe adjusted taxes....etc...etc....etc.  Be sure to read "This article explains the difference well" link embedded below.

https://www.taxesforexpats.com/articles/news/federal-stimulus-faq-who-is-eligible-how-much-money-will-they-get-u-s-based-taxpayers-expats-non-residents-more.html

Who is eligible for stimulus checks?

US tax residents with social security numbers, residing anywhere in the world, will receive checks depending on their income, which we outline below. Those with ITIN will not be eligible.

Is this a tax credit or a gift from the government?

This stimulus check is essentially a 0% interest advance from the government for your 2020 tax return. This is NOT the same thing as the 2008 stimulus checks that were sent to battle the recession. This article explains the difference well.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 4:58 PM, racyrick said:

Hate to throw cold water on us that are living in Thailand, but I read that the people who receive the checks must be a RESIDENT of the US as determined by the address on file with the IRS, NOT the SSA.

So if you are lucky to still have a US address for your taxes, you are good to go.

No mention of that clause if they send out checks to those receiving SSA payments.

Nothing in stone until they actually pass a bill with the exact requirements.

I read that recipients must be a U.S. resident OR citizen. Anybody's guess at this point

The benefit is available not only to those who have filed taxes, but also to those who receive Social Security benefits as long as they’ve received their SSA-1099 form.

Who doesn't get a check?

Single adults who make more the $99,000 and married couples who earn more than $198,000 won’t receive stimulus checks.

Those without a Social Security number and nonresident aliens — those who aren’t a U.S. citizen or U.S. national and don’t have a green card or have not passed the substantial presence test — aren’t eligible.

You’re also ineligible if your parents claim you as a dependent on their taxes.

• Haha 1
On 3/27/2020 at 4:18 PM, Pib said:

This Kiplinger news article is one of the better articles on subject I've seen so far.  Includes a stimulus check calculator, Q&As, etc.  And if you don't get a check this year, then you can claim it on next year's federal return as a refund or reduction of tax owed.  

Full Article for calculator, all the Q&As, etc.

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/spending/T063-C000-S001-stimulus-checks-2020-how-much-when-and-other-faqs.html

Partial quote from above article.

now that is really good news---especially since there is no air mail service, those of us abroad are unlikely to receive checks mailed out. (Plus of course  huge hassle to deposit).

One would hope though that they would set up an online system where people could arrange direct deposit.

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So apparently air mail service between the USA and Thailand has been stopped. Three months by ship? So what's the expiration date on the checks?

When did this happen? Have you got a link confirming details?  I sent a letter air mail to Thailand from US on Wednesday and no one informed me of this and they certainly didn't charge me the surface rate. Thanks.

45 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

now that is really good news---especially since there is no air mail service, those of us abroad are unlikely to receive checks mailed out. (Plus of course  huge hassle to deposit).

One would hope though that they would set up an online system where people could arrange direct deposit.

Not necessarily. Back about 2009 in Chiang Mai totally out of the blue I received in the post a brown envelop with a window  that I could see a green federal check. The envelope was addressed to me at my address at the time. I opened it and I be ... a refund check from the IRS for about 200 dollars. About two weeks later I went to my bank (Bangkok Bank Thapae Road) for business and deposit 3 checks, two being personal and the 1 from the IRS. When I received my bank book back I was surprised that the IRS refund check had been automatically credited to my account. The bank told me that all US Federal checks were honored this way by Bangkok Bank.

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

When I received my bank book back I was surprised that the IRS refund check had been automatically credited to my account. The bank told me that all US Federal checks were honored this way by Bangkok Bank.

I "think" the upper limit to immediately honor a US Treasury check was $500 at Bangkok Bank....anything above that required the normal check clearing time.  If still $500, then a $1,200 check would probably take 3 to 4 weeks to clear.  Before Bangkok Bank did a major revamp of their website about 2 years ago it was easy to find the info about check cashing....but with the revamp and probably much less usage of checks in our ever changing money world I can no longer find the info.

Actually, airmail should continue to arrive if sent/arriving on a "cargo" flight vs a passenger flight as aircrews on pre-existing flight schedules can continue to enter Thailand.  Now airmail will probably arrive slower and less often....all depends on the number/frequency of cargo flights and what carrier is being used.....how fast the cargo gets cleared thru customs....etc...etc....etc.

Example of cargo flight impacts....see below FedEx 27 March 2020 update.  Thailand is not listed on the update as having any Thailand-specific cargo flight restrictions.

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex/us-united-states/Service-Alerts/images/2020/Q4/FXL_Service_Impact_3_27_20.pdf

Edited by Pib
2 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

When did this happen? Have you got a link confirming details?  I sent a letter air mail to Thailand from US on Wednesday and no one informed me of this and they certainly didn't charge me the surface rate. Thanks.

The problem is lack of  flights to take the mail.

Read somewhere that DHL still works as they have their own planes but many other couriers might not

I may go into withdrawal for lack of my New Yorker magazines!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't use direct deposit, preferring to credit the refund to next year's taxes. But, fortunately, I use a mail forwarding service, the address of which I use on my tax return (the IRS does not require you to use your physical address). So, my check will go there, and then I'll have them scan it in a higher resolution, then deposit it digitally with USAA. Has worked in the past. So, luckily I avoid any physical mailing activity to Thailand.

• Like 1
On 3/24/2020 at 1:00 PM, frantick said:

Try any of the online as tax calculators. If you only enter an amount in the SS income field, the tax is $0. I'm sure they're ALL wrong.

How is Social Security taxed? ... You'll be taxed on: up to 50 percent of your benefits if your income is $25,000 to $34,000 for an individual or $32,000 to $44,000 for a married couple filing jointly. up to 85 percent of your benefits if your income is more than $34,000 (individual) or $44,000 (couple).Apr 9, 2019

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If you've done past direct deposit arrangements with the IRS for your tax returns, then they should still have that info in their records, and AFAIK, will plan to use DD as the delivery method for those taxpayers for whom they have that info.  If they don't have DD info on file, then they'll default to a mailed check... And supposedly coming forth with some online system for reporting if a mailed check hasn't been properly received.

6 hours ago, Pib said:

I "think" the upper limit to immediately honor a US Treasury check was $500 at Bangkok Bank....anything above that required the normal check clearing time.  If still $500, then a $1,200 check would probably take 3 to 4 weeks to clear.  Before Bangkok Bank did a major revamp of their website about 2 years ago it was easy to find the info about check cashing....but with the revamp and probably much less usage of checks in our ever changing money world I can no longer find the info.

Some info about that here in terms of fees for foreign checks:

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/-/media/7AE8A01CC2FA48A2B7B823D4EF4CE13A.ashx

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you've done past direct deposit arrangements with the IRS for your tax returns, then they should still have that info in their records, and AFAIK, will plan to use DD as the delivery method for those taxpayers for whom they have that info.  If they don't have DD info on file, then they'll default to a mailed check... And supposedly coming forth with some online system for reporting if a mailed check hasn't been properly received.

I've done direct payment  but I don't think they keep those records, it's done through a separate online site .  And I've never done DD for a refund, if I have one I always apply it to the next year's taxes. But who knows.

When I was owed a refund for excess Medicare payments SS for some reason  insisted on sending a check via snail mail even though my SS comes as DD.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Some info about that here in terms of fees for foreign checks:

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/-/media/7AE8A01CC2FA48A2B7B823D4EF4CE13A.ashx

Partial quote from above link.   Not sure but I guess the cashing fee is $15 plus 3 baht to process (cash) the check "and then if you want advance payment before it clears" then there would be another Bt403 charge?  

image.png.f9ba54f5225e63a15e95c6bd456ac33d.png

Just now, Sheryl said:

I've done direct payment  but I don't think they keep those records, it's done through a separate online site .  And I've never done DD for a refund, if I have one I always apply it to the next year's taxes. But who knows.

When I was owed a refund for excess Medicare payments SS for some reason  insisted on sending a check via snail mail even though my SS comes as DD.

Just to clarify.. I'm not sure if matters if they've ever actually done a direct deposit to you... but rather....whether you've ever listed your direct deposit info on a tax filing you've made to the IRS.... And I haven't seen any mention of how far back they might be planning to go in relying on taxpayers DD info.

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

Partial quote from above link.   Not sure but I guess the cashing fee is $15 plus 3 baht to process (cash) the check "and then if you want advance payment before it clears" then there would be another Bt403 charge?  

image.png.f9ba54f5225e63a15e95c6bd456ac33d.png

I couldn't translate/interpret the exact meaning of their EN terms..

That's why I just posted a link to the document only!!!  :biggrin: