Songkran: holidays or not?

Brunolem

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

his holiday was actually celebrated in January 26th this year Chinese New Year no need to have Songkran it is really meaningless!

How can you compare Chinese New Year with Songkran?

Chinese New Year means close to nothing for the majority of Thai people. For many the Songkran holidays are the only chance in the year to visit their families/parents/see their kids.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

How can you compare Chinese New Year with Songkran?

Chinese New Year means close to nothing for the majority of Thai people. For many the Songkran holidays are the only chance in the year to visit their families/parents/see their kids.

You got to be kidding unless you got your head in the sand!  I'm Chinese American, lived here for the past 15 years, the first 10 I used to go home to the States just before Chinese New Year, five years ago I delayed going the day after it started that is when I saw at least here in Pattaya, that it is celebrated more here than the City I grew up in that City is and has always been the largest Chinese community outside of China!

Home you can't even get a T-shirt that says Chinese New Year, here the markets are flooded selling food the clothes red garments and now a variety of red envelops. My Thai wife the day Chinese New Year starts the display that is put on, food, flowers I thought it was just her but neighbors all the same. I started to think hey this is Chinese New Year get your own holiday which is Songkran the money spend I believe for Chinese New year surpasses anything Songkran delivers?

If the only reason Songkran exist is so they can visit family, the designated days are 3 April, 13-15, officially there are a number of holidays throughout the year they can visit family just like any other country.  I've got nothing really against Songkran and I understand their need to vent but the purpose of Songkran today doesn't even come close to what it is suppose to be! If it was more and how they celebrate Chinese New Year I say knock yourself out but instead it has turn into a childish holiday with no real meaning except to kill themselves on the road!

We certainly have differences on comparing holidays that is really beside the point the point is there is a pandemic of a Virus running wild as they say an enemy you can't see giving up seeing family one year so you might have many down the road isn't rocket science. There are many ways to celebrate you need not move it to July once gone it is gone!  Easter is here right spring break for many do we move it back, do we move summer back, do we move Christmas back it is just one year hopefully?

Edited by thailand49

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

You got to be kidding unless you got your head in the sand!  I'm Chinese American, lived here for the past 15 years, the first 10 I used to go home to the States just before Chinese New Year, five years ago I delayed going the day after it started that is when I saw at least here in Pattaya, that it is celebrated more here than the City I grew up in that City is and has always been the largest Chinese community outside of China!

Pattaya is NOT Thailand, it is not at all representative of Thailand.

You can't draw general conclusions from what you see in this city.

It's like drawing general conclusions about the United States while visiting Las Vegas...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Home you can't even get a T-shirt that says Chinese New Year, here the markets are flooded selling food the clothes red garments and now a variety of red envelops. My Thai wife the day Chinese New Year starts the display that is put on, food, flowers I thought it was just her but neighbors all the same. I started to think hey this is Chinese New Year get your own holiday which is Songkran the money spend I believe for Chinese New year surpasses anything Songkran delivers?

If the only reason Songkran exist is so they can visit family, the designated days are 3 April, 13-15, officially there are a number of holidays throughout the year they can visit family just like any other country.  I've got nothing really against Songkran and I understand their need to vent but the purpose of Songkran today doesn't even come close to what it is suppose to be! If it was more and how they celebrate Chinese New Year I say knock yourself out but instead it has turn into a childish holiday with no real meaning except to kill themselves on the road!

We certainly have differences on comparing holidays that is really beside the point the point is there is a pandemic of a Virus running wild as they say an enemy you can't see giving up seeing family one year so you might have many down the road isn't rocket science. There are many ways to celebrate you need not move it to July once gone it is gone!  Easter is here right spring break for many do we move it back, do we move summer back, do we move Christmas back it is just one year hopefully?

If you have been here for as long as you say, then you must be worryingly unobservant with regards the meaning of Songkran for the vast majority of workers and people in Thailand, coupled with how easily they can take time off at other times, how much holiday they get etc.

Why have Chinese New Year, why have holidays at Christmas and New Year? you can just take a random day off sometime in the year. Lets cancel all celebrations...

You must be trolling with your post.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 7:59 AM, Assurancetourix said:

Holidays or not ?

is that a joke?
You have not yet understood the meaning of this sentence:
STAY AT HOME, DON'T MOVE
and then on the other hand, I have never seen a country on this earth where there are so many holidays;
if banks and public administrations are open 180 days a year, it is the end of the world.

I would love to stay home but I am forced to go to CHAENGWATTANA this week to get my retirement extension.

immigration does not understand the meaning of your sentence.

7 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Pattaya is NOT Thailand, it is not at all representative of Thailand.

You can't draw general conclusions from what you see in this city.

It's like drawing general conclusions about the United States while visiting Las Vegas...

I fully understand that is the case!  So what I experience in Pattaya should be totally discounted and what I wrote you should draw the conclusion I meant entire Thailand and another conclusion that you know for a fact the other posted meant outside of Pattaya? 

Then what a lousy childish conclusion that I think U.S. while visiting Las Vegas! 

7 hours ago, smutcakes said:

If you have been here for as long as you say, then you must be worryingly unobservant with regards the meaning of Songkran for the vast majority of workers and people in Thailand, coupled with how easily they can take time off at other times, how much holiday they get etc.

Why have Chinese New Year, why have holidays at Christmas and New Year? you can just take a random day off sometime in the year. Lets cancel all celebrations...

You must be trolling with your post.

The two of you have your heads so far up the ass of Thailand you can't see nor except another person experience or views of Thailand but it is hypocrisy at best that you can express my post is a troll simply because you don't see it that way. No problem there isn't anything you can ever say to change it because I've experienced it and concluded my opinion from those experience. Just because you haven't experience or concluded the same mean it doesn't exist doing so just show how narrow minded and hypocritical you are! 

I guess the two or three of you feel the importance of Songkran for the Thai people is more important than them dying which is what my original post was about! But I guess being able to celebrate this one time holiday, travel when one should be quarantine, hug their family and kids when they should keep distant is more important than showing some restrain and self control for a simple year! I can see the bunch of you really care about Thais! You guys are the problem!

Edited by thailand49

14 hours ago, thailand49 said:

The two of you have your heads so far up the ass of Thailand you can't see nor except another person experience or views of Thailand but it is hypocrisy at best that you can express my post is a troll simply because you don't see it that way. No problem there isn't anything you can ever say to change it because I've experienced it and concluded my opinion from those experience. Just because you haven't experience or concluded the same mean it doesn't exist doing so just show how narrow minded and hypocritical you are! 

I guess the two or three of you feel the importance of Songkran for the Thai people is more important than them dying which is what my original post was about! But I guess being able to celebrate this one time holiday, travel when one should be quarantine, hug their family and kids when they should keep distant is more important than showing some restrain and self control for a simple year! I can see the bunch of you really care about Thais! You guys are the problem!

I 100% agree with you on that, and i believe the vast vast majority of Thais agree. Actually from what i am told up country villages are taking the issue far more seriously than most with village chiefs imposing lock-downs, blocking small villages etc.

However i disagree with your original post that Songkran was nothing, and Chinese New Year was amazing and people could simply wait until next year.... I thought you are massively underplaying the importance of Songkran for Thais, and for westerners who for the most part can come and go and see family when and where they want it is much easier. For Thais working hand to mouth its not as simple as jumping on a bus for Chakri day and heading home.

Sure they understand the need to not go home at this exact point, but they still want that yearly celebration to see family, old friends. Not just wait another year of working 365 days.....

31 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I 100% agree with you on that, and i believe the vast vast majority of Thais agree. Actually from what i am told up country villages are taking the issue far more seriously than most with village chiefs imposing lock-downs, blocking small villages etc.

However i disagree with your original post that Songkran was nothing, and Chinese New Year was amazing and people could simply wait until next year.... I thought you are massively underplaying the importance of Songkran for Thais, and for westerners who for the most part can come and go and see family when and where they want it is much easier. For Thais working hand to mouth its not as simple as jumping on a bus for Chakri day and heading home.

Sure they understand the need to not go home at this exact point, but they still want that yearly celebration to see family, old friends. Not just wait another year of working 365 days.....

You have read my response wrong go back and look at what I wrote based on the reply I got for poster Khun?

I merely responded to his comment I nowhere state that I felt Chinese New Year was more important than Songkran but from my living here in Pattaya and experience ( sure Pattaya isn't indicative of entire Thailand ) like I don't know and should except the criticism that my experience is not relevant. It seem to be on the surface widely celebrated here than where I grew up in S.F. Chinatown, I've never seen such a display growing up in a very traditional family. Of all the Western holidays in Pattaya Chinese New Year is the tops in my book in terms of display and sale of items whether it is at Big C, or local markets and shops on the Darkside in Pattaya.  Personally, if this was whether to cancel Chinese New Years due to the Virus regardless of how hard or seldom I can visit my family again it is just one year out of my life there will always be another whether I'm here to celebrate it or not.

I don't underplay Songkran the reason I don't express it to my Thai wife or son and his family. If they want to celebrate I celebrate, they want to visit the grandparent upcountry I drive year end year out although doing so during Songkran on the roads I have a better chance of dying than with the Virus.

It is their holiday not mines how they want to celebrate it I being in their country except it but does that mean I have to like it and how they have turn the holiday into ( another discussion ) celebrating it this year which is my original comment due to the Virus I stated it was those before you who turn it into another conversation. Whether it is important or not I stick with my original opinion " this is a next year " just like there is a next year for Chinese New Year, Easter, or any other holiday!

3 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

You have read my response wrong go back and look at what I wrote based on the reply I got for poster Khun?

I merely responded to his comment I nowhere state that I felt Chinese New Year was more important than Songkran but from my living here in Pattaya and experience ( sure Pattaya isn't indicative of entire Thailand ) like I don't know and should except the criticism that my experience is not relevant. It seem to be on the surface widely celebrated here than where I grew up in S.F. Chinatown, I've never seen such a display growing up in a very traditional family. Of all the Western holidays in Pattaya Chinese New Year is the tops in my book in terms of display and sale of items whether it is at Big C, or local markets and shops on the Darkside in Pattaya.  Personally, if this was whether to cancel Chinese New Years due to the Virus regardless of how hard or seldom I can visit my family again it is just one year out of my life there will always be another whether I'm here to celebrate it or not.

I don't underplay Songkran the reason I don't express it to my Thai wife or son and his family. If they want to celebrate I celebrate, they want to visit the grandparent upcountry I drive year end year out although doing so during Songkran on the roads I have a better chance of dying than with the Virus.

It is their holiday not mines how they want to celebrate it I being in their country except it but does that mean I have to like it and how they have turn the holiday into ( another discussion ) celebrating it this year which is my original comment due to the Virus I stated it was those before you who turn it into another conversation. Whether it is important or not I stick with my original opinion " this is a next year " just like there is a next year for Chinese New Year, Easter, or any other holiday!

I have found that the marking of Chinese New Year is getting less and less. When i 1st came here 15 or so years ago, Chinese New Year was an official holiday and a proper day off. Nowadays it seems (probably because of more important Royal related dates) it is no longer even a public holiday.

Sure you see people with bins burning god knows what in front of their properties, but from my observation the importance of CNY in Thailand at least is slowly dying away as many of the older 1st generation real Chinese immigrants are passing away and the younger generations frankly could not care less.

I spent 4 years working in and out of Pattaya, commuting weekly, and i cannot say i ever really noticed Chinese New Year being overly celebrated there either. Perhaps they put on a bit of a 'show' for their Chinese tourists.

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I have found that the marking of Chinese New Year is getting less and less. When i 1st came here 15 or so years ago, Chinese New Year was an official holiday and a proper day off. Nowadays it seems (probably because of more important Royal related dates) it is no longer even a public holiday.

Sure you see people with bins burning god knows what in front of their properties, but from my observation the importance of CNY in Thailand at least is slowly dying away as many of the older 1st generation real Chinese immigrants are passing away and the younger generations frankly could not care less.

I spent 4 years working in and out of Pattaya, commuting weekly, and i cannot say i ever really noticed Chinese New Year being overly celebrated there either. Perhaps they put on a bit of a 'show' for their Chinese tourists.

I respect what you are saying from your experience but as I noted from my experience in Pattaya it is growing especially on the Darkside which you should know regardless of whether it is an holiday or not. Maybe in town they are putting in all those sale display for the Chinese Tourist just like they do for Christmas for the Expats but on the Darkside, Soi like Nernpludwan store after store loaded with T.Shirts, dresses for women and babies everywhere there is more stuff being sold than during Songkran, one goes to the market, food similar to the Chinese community back in my home, steam Chicken, I wish I still had the pictures I took this year in the Thai village I live on the Darkside the setup my wife does each year when my mom saw the picture I could tell she was impressed!

I agree with the generation gap!