Paying for sports tv you are not getting.

TV cable and satellite companies charge for you to receive their sports program.  They collect billions of baht every month to show football matches, Formula One and Moto GP races, golf. tennis, and many more.  But, there have been none since early March.  So, why are they still being paid?

Isn't this the same as paying  for a meal at McDonalds and then being told they have no food and they still keep your money?

Why are the TV cable and satellite companies allowed to charge for something they can't provide?

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Sky and BT Sport in the UK have suspended payments for the premium sports channels. The channels are of course still operating and broadcasting some excellent repeats so at least we get our fix of whatever sport floats our boat. https://www.sky.com/help/articles/pause-sky-sports

That said, I don't think they HAD to pause payments but it was the ethical thing to do and a way to retain loyal customers.

As to the local position, do the bold statements above apply to the Thai providers?

Hi,

my story with TRUE thailand

i have smart family package+football package

i called true to cancel  the football package, the operator proposed to me to upgrade me with gold package with same price

i said i prefer to cancel foot package and keep smart family package to save money

they did it immediatly and i don't have anymore now access to foot channels

i'm just waiting now the next bill to check the discount, i mean deduct of foot package price

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Ya think? Really?

Hat being prepared for eating when they do :whistling:

Got my latest bill from True Visions yesterday, my normal monthly payment is 951.23 baht. The latest bill is for 729.58 baht, a reduction of 221.65 baht. That 221.65 baht shows up every month on my bill as a "top-up" charge (google translation). I added the Premier League to my regular subscription service but I thought the charge was more like 399 baht for that? True Visions monthly bill isn't the easiest thing to decipher.

Maybe you could just eat some of your hat.  ????

• Like 1

OMG (I understand this is the current vernacular) you must be devastated. Do you need counselling or a hug.

Op has a very ironic name given the circumstances of a world wide pandemic!!????

1 hour ago, villerupt said:

Hi,

i called true to cancel  the football package, the operator proposed to me to upgrade me with gold package with same price

i said i prefer to cancel foot package and keep smart family package to save money

i'm just waiting now the next bill to check the discount, i mean deduct of foot package price

I did same you just got my bill footy is deducted

• Like 2

2 hours ago, villerupt said:

Hi,

I think there are sports programs built into all of True's packages - meaning you are being charged for something they aren't providing.

Is this a blatant example of price gouging which is against Thai law?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, nervona81732 said:

Hey' how about this!!! Why don't you quit thinking about sports an start thinking about something that actually matters. Cheers all you arm chair beer gut sports fanatics.

Good idea!  Don't worry about price gouging.  What would you suggest?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sateuk said:

I did same you just got my bill footy is deducted

I tried to do the same with my Platinum package and was told to switch to a lower package to save money.  Of course, I'd also lose many non-sports channels and still be charge for the sport channels in the smaller package.

Did you get the refund for what you paid and didn't get in March?

8 hours ago, Is this real said:

TV cable and satellite companies charge for you to receive their sports program.  They collect billions of baht every month to show football matches, Formula One and Moto GP races, golf. tennis, and many more.  But, there have been none since early March.  So, why are they still being paid?

Isn't this the same as paying  for a meal at McDonalds and then being told they have no food and they still keep your money?

Why are the TV cable and satellite companies allowed to charge for something they can't provide?

Really!??? You sign up for a service. What happens now is called something under force majeure. It might be possible that the government goes in and order them to pay back this at a letar stage, and they will do it. It has happened in many cases before. However, you are in control. It´s you that are responsible to cancel what ever service you are not satisfied with. But, Hell Yeah, why do you not set up a website and collect signatures like for so many other things?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Really!??? You sign up for a service. What happens now is called something under force majeure. It might be possible that the government goes in and order them to pay back this at a letar stage, and they will do it. It has happened in many cases before. However, you are in control. It´s you that are responsible to cancel what ever service you are not satisfied with. But, Hell Yeah, why do you not set up a website and collect signatures like for so many other things?

Maybe the cable companies should claim back from the soccer clubs and they should claim back from their players let those spoiled brats pay for it. Maybe some clubs would go under but at least the consumers get their money back....  i mean that is preferable then keeping clubs afloat and calbe companies too. 

• Like 1

True are still billing for the EPL package.

Wen I received my april bill, I rang them to complain  why they were still charging
The lady explained that you need to cancel.

But I said that should not be necessary. Surely if true don't provide the service then they should stop billing for it.

Or I suggested that they should at least notify that they will give a credit for use later.

There is no such guidance , however see the second part of my post below.

I ended up cancelling and the operator said that she will request a refund.

Even though i am part way through the monthly cycle, My service was cancelled the next day.

Therefore i expect to get some or all  the month refunded. probably as credit on my next bill.

I went online to try find any information and could not find anything in particular.

I used their online query service and kept putting wrong input until it connected me to an online operator text service.

I asked the op why True were still charging and was told that they are providing upgrades to the package, you receive many channels extra. I told them that i don't need the upgrade which seems to mainly consist of disney channels, and the extra movie channels because I have my own online subscription for movies. I was advised that if i have complained then I should receive a refund.

Moral of the story is to ring up and cancel  (unless you want to accept the package upgrade), and request a refund for what you pay/paid.

3 hours ago, Is this real said:

I think there are sports programs built into all of True's packages - meaning you are being charged for something they aren't providing.

Is this a blatant example of price gouging which is against Thai law?

Against Thai Law? That doesn't matter, they just Keep On Gouging.  :wai:

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I'm not against the service.  What other satellite companies are there?  Just pointing out that they are still charging and not providing.  Would you be happy if McDonalds did the same?

BTW, the  sports are not charging fees when they aren't providing the sport.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, jojothai said:

True are still billing for the EPL package.

Wen I received my april bill, I rang them to complain  why they were still charging
The lady explained that you need to cancel.

But I said that should not be necessary. Surely if true don't provide the service then they should stop billing for it.

Or I suggested that they should at least notify that they will give a credit for use later.

There is no such guidance , however see the second part of my post below.

I ended up cancelling and the operator said that she will request a refund.

Even though i am part way through the monthly cycle, My service was cancelled the next day.

Therefore i expect to get some or all  the month refunded. probably as credit on my next bill.

I went online to try find any information and could not find anything in particular.

I used their online query service and kept putting wrong input until it connected me to an online operator text service.

I asked the op why True were still charging and was told that they are providing upgrades to the package, you receive many channels extra. I told them that i don't need the upgrade which seems to mainly consist of disney channels, and the extra movie channels because I have my own online subscription for movies. I was advised that if i have complained then I should receive a refund.

Moral of the story is to ring up and cancel  (unless you want to accept the package upgrade), and request a refund for what you pay/paid.

I haven't been offered any upgrades.

If your Platinum bill is B2,000, how much should be discounted if no sports are shown?

16 minutes ago, Is this real said:

I'm not against the service.  What other satellite companies are there?  Just pointing out that they are still charging and not providing.  Would you be happy if McDonalds did the same?

BTW, the  sports are not charging fees when they aren't providing the sport.

I am just stating the procedure of True Vision for you. If you chose to spit on me for that, go ahead. Just wanted you to know. They have no procedure for stop billing for any reason. They will just tell you to cancel and re-register when all is running as usual.

Edited by Matzzon

8 hours ago, Is this real said:

I haven't been offered any upgrades.

If your Platinum bill is B2,000, how much should be discounted if no sports are shown?

For those of us on basic package we pay 399.00 per month for the premier league package. Thats only for the premier league channels not for all sports. Eg we dont get F1.

So if you are on a full package, the amount you could try argue for discount could be less than 399 in relation to EPL.

However you are losing other sport as well and thats more difficult to calculate.

Edited by jojothai
Add detail