Booze ban: Thailand's one million heavy drinkers face serious health and withdrawal issues

webfact

5 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Another pointless topic, IMO

As are 90% of the topics. Just allows the top 30 posters to chime in quick with their idiotic one liners looking for acceptance and to be considered for the POTY ballot...????

People will find ways to drink if they want, just like smokers will find ways to smoke. Its a silly topic.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stephenterry said:

The point of the ban during Songkran is to limit the amount of drunken or social parties where many people congregate and where only one infected could spread the Corona virus to the others. By encouraging self and immediate family isolation, the risk of new cases is lowered.  

Common sense, really.

Right, that's why the ban continues until the end of April in some provinces, mine included ????

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JAFO said:

As are 90% of the topics. Just allows the top 30 posters to chime in quick with their idiotic one liners looking for acceptance and to be considered for the POTY ballot...????

People will find ways to drink if they want, just like smokers will find ways to smoke. Its a silly topic.

Yes, that worked for me, hunky..............????

6 hours ago, CraigInBangkok said:

Not a big drinker myself but surely all the "hardcore alcoholics" had plenty of time to stock up. It was'nt like they could'nt see it coming

May be they where too wissed to see that coming...

Edited by Jiggo
  • Haha 2

And, if people don't stop dipping their individual spoons into common dishes at the dinner tables, will they ban food? Why not just get people to actually practice social distancing? Oh, wait, to do that, they would have to report the actual numbers of infections and deaths and probably actually test people to justify that. Nevermind. I take it all back. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

A real alcohol addicted always has booze in stock or can make it himself, within a few days or a week you can make your wine or distilling clean alcohol high grade. Every Thai knows how to do that.

Did you do any time in Saudi Arabia and discover how long it actually takes to make a brew?

• Like 1

They can ban all the alcohol they want I haven’t even had a beer in over a year I am back on my healthy lifestyle permanently this time. But with a special new herbal diet you could say. Seeds from a plant. 

The hard core alcoholic in villages in Thailand seem to end up on the Lao Khao which 

is very bad for liver function.

This stuff must kill thousands a year & if you have watched them suffering as I have in the village it is not pretty to watch their stomachs blow up, extreme back pain, lack of control over their 

bowels & the health system that tries hard to help but too late.

I would ban the poison.

On the other hand in the west a true alkie can go for years & nobody notices  as they do not get drunk but just top up. A good friend of ours kept a bottle of vodka in the toilet cistern ( & many other places) & just stayed on the high all day but never drunk

Not to be confused with a drunk.  They are two completely different animals.

Look it up for your edification if you wish

And yes, I enjoy a drink everyday say a coupla beers, & a GT or 2.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TikiT said:

They can ban all the alcohol they want I haven’t even had a beer in over a year I am back on my healthy lifestyle permanently this time. But with a special new herbal diet you could say. Seeds from a plant. 

fascinating. bore off with your me, me, me. this is an article about people with issues. not you

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The hard core alcoholic in villages in Thailand seem to end up on the Lao Khao which 

This stuff must kill thousands a year & if you have watched them suffering as I have in the village it is not pretty to watch their stomachs blow up, extreme back pain, lack of control over their 

I would ban the poison.

On the other hand in the west a true alkie can go for years & nobody notices  as they do not get drunk but just top up. A good friend of ours kept a bottle of vodka in the toilet cistern ( & many other places) & just stayed on the high all day but never drunk

I wonder what are the effects ,on the stomach,  of a combined lao khao and ultra-spicy food diet

Ulcers and stomach bleeding must be a popular way to die in hillbilly-land

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I would ban the poison.

Nothing wrong with a couple of beers a day

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Awwww! Maybe an opportune time for them to get a grip of their lives, have a good look in the mirror and change their ways!

Wow.. it’s that easy is it ? ... jeez all those years of counselling and AA meetings , even in Thailand,  outdoor have been ditched ! All I had to do as look in the mirror... Go educate yourself ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I would ban the poison.

I've known several what are known as 'functional alcoholics' in my career days. A few, rather disturbingly in the armed forces. It is quite amazing how they can hide it from their colleagues and especially their superiors. One of them was an armorer dealing with aircraft bomb loads! Scary or what!

However this booze ban was not about stopping people from drinking. It was all about putting the lid on all out socializing. I'm sure there are plenty of examples where it didn't work out, but it certainly has in our village. I've never known the place so quiet.