Trump says he is halting World Health Organization funding over handling of coronavirus

webfact

13 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Why is it that "the most powerful nation on Earth" isnt doing a great job fighting the virus, when smaller less powerful countries are doing ok ?

Seems the power doesn't equate to fighting a virus.

Maybe shoot the messenger and the world wont notice.

Well yes, because there are so many international travelers coming and going from Cameroon.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Tug said:

I just had a thought could this threat of withholding funds be a ploy to get The Who to praise trumps response to the carona virus providing him a cover for his bungled response??just a thought

Possibly, but there's a huge problem with the logic you've presented. The WHO has their own bungling to answer for. Oops!

2 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

So much rubbish being trotted out by the Trump haters - business as usual - sad people.

Yet the same sad people criticise Trump for not doing more and doing it earlier.

Here is the official WHO travel advisory on 29 February (after Trump restricted travel to/from China).

Quote:  

This document provides updated recommendations for international traffic in relation to the COVID-19 outbreak, in light of the rapidly evolving situation. It supersedes the advice published on 27 January 2020. (No Travel Bans)

WHO continues to advise against the application of travel or trade restrictions to countries experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks.

In general, evidence shows that restricting the movement of people and goods during public health emergencies is ineffective in most situations and may divert resources from other interventions.

Unquote.

https://www.who.int/news-room/articles-detail/updated-who-recommendations-for-international-traffic-in-relation-to-covid-19-outbreak

Wow, if one didn't know better, one might think the WHO actually WANTED the virus to spread. While obviously there is no solid proof to show anyone wanted the virus to spread, one should never underestimate the hatred for America and Donald Trump by certain elements. In fact, we see it here on display each and every day.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ifmu said:

now that is a load of bull  trump delayed and ignored and refused to use fed aid to curtail this pandemic from the beginning .. he also cut funding or shut off agencies that would have prevented deaths ... all because a black president before him created the programs and yes i am calling trump a bigot neo nazi loving prez.........for me  trump is the first person to blame,  the buck stops at the prez 

Did the Chinese play a role in any of this?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tug said:

I just had a thought could this threat of withholding funds be a ploy to get The Who to praise trumps response to the carona virus providing him a cover for his bungled response??just a thought

That would seem to require the WHO to admit their protocols were not optimal, a.k.a. admitting responsibility. You think they are going to take responsibility for this mess for a simple bribe?

I don't think this is a bluff or blackmail. Trump needs a scapegoat to blame. It is crucial to the way he operates. The WHO has been nominated. The only way they can get out of this now is to blame someone else in turn. Possibly pointing the finger back at China might be a workable strategy, and that might be a possibility that Trump has already considered.

12 minutes ago, Monomial said:

I have many friends at JPL. Do you even comprehend how many people would need to be involved in "faking data"? You are talking a conspiracy involving tens of thousands of scientists, all of whom would need to be in on it in some way. It's not like a single person at NASA could control the narrative. This isn't a spy satellite where only 1 person has access to the data stream and can change it before anyone else sees it.

Different satellites using different methodologies are constantly being crosschecked by different groups looking to justify their funding requests. Any discrepancies with falsified data would become apparent and investigated.

Honestly, this is just madness. You can argue that someone can selectvely use data to make a model say just about anything you want within reason, and I might even agree with you in certain cases, but you can't "fake data". Not in an organization as big as NASA anyway.

Oh well you say you have friends at JPL. That changes everything.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Crazy Alex said:

Wow, if one didn't know better, one might think the WHO actually WANTED the virus to spread. While obviously there is no solid proof to show anyone wanted the virus to spread, one should never underestimate the hatred for America and Donald Trump by certain elements. In fact, we see it here on display each and every day.

So true - it is like a daily Dr Phil show - same old rubbish just a different day.

WHO followed and/or believed what China was saying - they deserve to be defunded and investigated before any funding again.

The funny thing is that these media driven Trump haters didnt even react when the GOP leader of the Senate Committee stated 2-3 days ago that no future funding for WHO will be approved until they are investigated.  Trump didnt like the lack of media attention to that (nil) - so he flamed them with his own announcement - LOL - the MSM and the Dems and Hollywoods and the TV Trump haters react yet again - same old rubbish just a different day/issue. Trump is the master troll of Dems MSM and Trump Haters - I am sure he thinks like this - what can I do today to inflame them all - that WHO funding should get some kick along and traction - I'll make my own statement agreeing with the Senate.  LOL.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, RANGER55 said:

I read The Telegraph and every article on the WHO, China or other related subject gets hundreds upon hundreds of comments. I would guess 95-99% hate the WHO and China. Most agree with trump. Love reading the comment section more then the articles, more entertaining.

Same on most of the media outlets - vast majority blame China and WHO - only the anti-Trumps are saying he is to blame.

Not the same on CNN and MSNBC of course - and Trump saved millions on Fox/Breitbart

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Why is it that "the most powerful nation on Earth" isnt doing a great job fighting the virus, when smaller less powerful countries are doing ok ?

Seems the power doesn't equate to fighting a virus.

Maybe shoot the messenger and the world wont notice.

Not doing a great job?probably because it isn,t a dictatorship and has a free press.

weird how newspapers and TV shows have gone wild about this financial cut,

not only in US but all over the football

here you see journalism and political statements based on zilch&vacuum knowledge in full play

frightening

if you are familiar with the UN system over years you will see and experience that such cut backs happens

frequently

countries urinated off by how a UN agency performs / reduces or stops her contributions to that agency

for a while or forever

happens over and over over, lean back, have a coffee, this is fairly normal

Trump is making an awful lot of noise about it, that is not so common, but what he does is not rare

sentral UN is way behind in their financing, US holds back on her dues,

several UN agencies *dunno= about WHO, have rules stating that not paying dues on time leeds to loss of vote

so the dime collectors in State Dep must carefully follow the game and payment of installments not to lose the

US vote in agencies where they want to vote, some time they screw up on that

my point in short, what Trump is doing here is nothing to get worked up about,

similar is happening more or less all the time / one way or the other / throughout the UN system

7 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Well yes, because there are so many international travelers coming and going from Cameroon.

7 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Did the Chinese play a role in any of this?

Wondering whether you can comprehend what the role of WHO actually is And the known sequence of published bulletins, also what the dickens has Cameroon to do with the thread?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

weird how newspapers and TV shows have gone wild about this financial cut,

not only in US but all over the football

here you see journalism and political statements based on zilch&vacuum knowledge in full play

frightening

if you are familiar with the UN system over years you will see and experience that such cut backs happens

frequently

countries urinated off by how a UN agency performs / reduces or stops her contributions to that agency

for a while or forever

happens over and over over, lean back, have a coffee, this is fairly normal

Trump is making an awful lot of noise about it, that is not so common, but what he does is not rare

sentral UN is way behind in their financing, US holds back on her dues,

several UN agencies *dunno= about WHO, have rules stating that not paying dues on time leeds to loss of vote

so the dime collectors in State Dep must carefully follow the game and payment of installments not to lose the

US vote in agencies where they want to vote, some time they screw up on that

my point in short, what Trump is doing here is nothing to get worked up about,

similar is happening more or less all the time / one way or the other / throughout the UN system

How many countries have halted their contributions to WHO during a pandemic?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Yeah really powerful when you can't even take care of your own citizens ... now that's real power for you.

Why do you think government is under any obligation to "take care of" its own citizens. In the US, we leave that up to the individual. Government does too much already.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dundas said:

The developed world's worst response to the virus, by far. So as Trump will never accept responsibility for anything that goes wrong, he has to shift the blame. The broader question (as exemplified in this discussion) is: why do so many Americans support a three year old who speaks in word salad, who has regular temper tantrums and who of course knows better than everyone else? 

That indeed is the question , because one way or another trump will go away, but they are going to stay around for a long time, there for the picking by any other trump wannabe .

They are the real problem trump is only the symptom. 

• Like 1