COVID 19 Opinion Poll/Survey

Skeptic7

COVID 19   

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Maybe people should ask what would things be like if measures weren't put in place. I would think deaths would be coming up to a million world wide possibly more and fairly sure it wouldn't take much searching on the net to support this. That's why comments like these are nonsense.

3 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Right to lock the world for less deaths than road accidents ?!

Ok. Take all vehicles off the road and there would be no deaths from road accidents. A drastic and inplausable idea I agree but the theory's the same.

So do you think this is nonsense too? Why is tobacco still not banned? That would not be drastic, nor implausible. 

Tobacco kills more than 8 million people each year. (That's almost 22,000 each and every day of each and every year)

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/tobacco

• Like 2

Just now, Skeptic7 said:

So do you think this is nonsense too? Why is tobacco still not banned? That would not be drastic, nor implausible. 

Tobacco kills more than 8 million people each year. (That's almost 22,000 each and every day of each and every year)

Thought we were talking about covid. Using road deaths against covid deaths as an arguement not to lock down etc is flawed for the reason I gave. If these measures were not put in place the infection rate and the death toll would be massively higher. The numbers we see, which according to most commentators are understated, are what they are because of the measures taken.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Well you dont get the virus from a cinema either but they are closed.

Beaches are closed because large crowds gather on beaches to enjoy the sun and surf etc. So going to the beach is not essential travel and will result in being crowded.

Stay home.

My local golf course is closed , because ?. 

Virus panic , live in fear .

We are indeed controlled...

Edited by elliss
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Sure no tobacco no tobacco realated desease and deaths. No virus no infections and no deaths. Have to stop the virus circulating.

Edited by dinsdale

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

First the world population is 7,577,130,400, Using conservative estimates   if 70% get infected that is 5,289,991,280 and if there is a .5%  mortality rate  there would be  26,449,956. (did I do my math right? ) that's on top of all other deaths. 

Does anyone really think that people would go to a USA football  game when they know that 70% of those attending the game will get infected and .5%  will die simply for going there????

Average US football game  attendance 2018 , 67,040X70%= 46,928   

46,928X.5%=234.64     

234 people dead from every football game. 

If it turns out that 70% of the population got infected, then you're correct in saying that 70% of those attending that game would be infected at some point, but it doesn't mean they were infected from that particular game, it just means they caught the disease for the time period the virus was around. They could've caught it shopping, at work or something.

Of course attending a football game would increase your chances of getting infected, but it would just be a portion of the 70% chance.

Not implying we should start football games, but just saying...   

Is The Cure Worse Than The Disease?

What? As far as I know there is no cure yet. Just measurements taken to limit the spread.

Anyway, the measurements are all good and healthy for the people and the country. Except the promises that the government give the people regarding economic relief and not fulfill.

Edited by Matzzon

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

There is no argument that the virus is extremely infectious, possibly up to 50% has been infected in the last months all over the world.

Now, you may have a look at the age and the pre-existing medical conditions of the deceased.

Why lock down millions of young, healthy people who have almost no chances to die from the virus ?

If i saw thousands of teens dying of covid19, i would eat my words, but..

Hate to say that again, but the "cure" seems to be worse than the disease.

Time will tell.

Doctors said keep schools open

1 minute ago, UbonThani said:

Doctors said keep schools open

Well, doctors have different, sometimes conflicting theories, but for some reason, only some of them get some space in the mainstream media :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Elad said:

If it turns out that 70% of the population got infected, then you're correct in saying that 70% of those attending that game would be infected at some point, but it doesn't mean they were infected from that particular game, it just means they caught the disease for the time period the virus was around. They could've caught it shopping, at work or something.

Of course attending a football game would increase your chances of getting infected, but it would just be a portion of the 70% chance.

Not implying we should start football games, but just saying...   

No I was not implying also,

that 70% would be infected is  the aggregate Obviously depending on many factors more will be infected in one venue and less in another.

my comment was in reference to the overall affect, an understanding that if you went out  a significant percentage would get infected and a significant percentage will die, and that such understanding would negatively affect people's decision to go out and thus affect the economy negatively..   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

97% are sick

Most others fat

Hardly any fit people have died

There's an argument to be made in that not many people are fit. Obesity and not enough exercise is widespread in the world.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, doctors have different, sometimes conflicting theories, but for some reason, only some of them get some space in the mainstream media :whistling:

The aussie doctors are sensible. The politicians are morons. Footpaths open, beaches closed. Fines for couples in a parked car. The couple live together. The biggest idiots are politicians.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

The aussie doctors are sensible. The politicians are morons.

That's the case world over. Politicians have only one talent: getting people to vote for them. 

Which is why I previously called for the usurper government to step down and be replaced by a technocrat one. I give that a 0.0000000000001% chance of happening. On a good day.

35 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Is The Cure Worse Than The Disease?

What? As far as I know there is no cure yet. Just measurements taken to limit the spread.

Anyway, the measurements are all good and healthy for the people and the country. Except the promises that the government give the people regarding economic relief and not fulfill.

ehh ??! cum again ? how is the shut down of the economy good for people and country ?

you need to come to grips with that it is very negative for economy for most people,

and instead state you think its less worse all things included

then any other course that could be taken but wasnt

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chessman said:

This argument makes no sense. The government isn’t responding to the current total number of deaths. It is responding to an infectious disease that has the potential to increase the number it kills exponentially. It’s increased more than 18 times in the last month! 18 times!!!!!

This Numbers are skewed due to the fact it is quite scary as it has the ability to constantly mutate. Plus, it is being acquired by animals also. This virus is quite unpredictable. No symptoms for some and then they drop dead in a week. People reported cured have a relapse rate of 20%. If this virus was produced in a Bio-Weapons (Level 4) in Wuhan, then I must say the researchers had done a magnificent job. However, it bit them in the Ass when the virus escaped the facility. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

Beaches are closed because large crowds gather on beaches to enjoy the sun and surf etc. So going to the beach is not essential travel and will result in being crowded.

Stay home.

Ok, you stay home, and I go to the empty beach. Nobody risks anything, everybody happy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I admit i was surprised that western countries nearly all opted for lockdowns, but i think that was because they didn't prepare enough in the month or two breathing space they had. The lockdowns are the only reason the virus spread has not been as fast as predicted - or we would be seeing death tolls in the 50-100,000 range in many countries now. The speed with which it exploded in Italy and the USA is pretty frightening.

Right.. Herd Immunity versus lockdown. Very few countries had the medical facilities and PPE to allow  infection rates to grow at the expected rate - you end up with triage, people dying untreated and at home, and maybe loose 1-3% of your population. Economic shock is limited (but depends on other countries reaction) but think - when it is over and a politician says 30, 40, 50,000 extra people had to die to save the economy, what chance of getting re-elected?

Try and save your people and you get a good approval rating (worked in Korea).

Of course, big business doesn't care if their workers die on the production lines, as long as enough are left to keep the factory running. That is what they did in South Dakota ......

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52311877

What a choice, work and catch the virus, or get no pay....... and the state Governor was, of course, on the side of big business.

• Confused 1

The worldwide spread of covid 19 mandates that to limit the spread of the disease in the short term there is no alternative to lockdown now.The concern is to work out exactly what "short term " actually means.

The Spanish flu lasted three years with horrendous mortality,and it would not require much imagination to extrapolate that experience to covid 19.Nowadays medical advances will hopefully produce a reliable vaccine within  one more year,and the recent Chicago results of treatment with remdesivir are promising.So we are almost certainly in a better position than 1918 -1920.

Any easing of lockdown restrictions will inevitably lead to further waves of infection.

So what is the solution?

I think every contributor will realise that,unless a mutation to a more benign form of covid occurs,there really is no solution,and governments will be forced to take massive risks by either lifting restrictions or continuing with lockdowns.

Some authoritarian governments will be able to manipulate statistics to validate the course of action they embarked upon.In poorer 3rd World countries lockdowns will have to be lifted at an earlier stage in order to prevent starvation,others will try to ease lockdowns to prevent economic collapse.

I think Thailand,although acting late,has got it right for now,but there will be no winner in it's future moves.

No matter what the Thai government decides I would encourage everybody to continue with their own personal lockdown if possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I voted for number 3.

Admittedly the Thai gov't was a bit slow off the mark but has done well once it accepted the reality of the situation.

As I now live in Australia for the time being, I would also vote number 3 for my own gov't as well.

I just wish my government in the US would force people to wear face masks in public. 

Not only would it reduce the transmission of the virus. but it would go a long way towards beautifying the place.   :smile:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sujo said:

Well you dont get the virus from a cinema either but they are closed.

Stay home.

Every unnecessary closure costs jobs, people naturally spread out at beaches, cinemas in Pattaya, usually less than 10 people in there

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, chessman said:

To go back to the topic:

A month ago on March 17 there were just under 8000 reported deaths worldwide.

now there are 148,000 deaths

so in a month the number of deaths has increased more than 18 times. Remember, this is an infectious disease that has the potential to increase the number of deaths and cases exponentially. 

Please just think about. 

this was an extremely serious problem that needed extreme measures.

It's matter of opinion how extreme. Some people are obsessed with lockdowns and restrictions, in that same period mentioned unemployment has increased by 10s of millions due to the restrictions

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rickudon said:

Try and save your people and you get a good approval rating (worked in Korea).

In a country which political environment is more rigid or homogeneous ethnicity, it is more orderly handled. 

But in US, no matter what the calamity is, whether it is hurricane, typhoon, immigration, Haitian refugee, or whatever, the political bickering is horrendous. The politician, journalists all together are having bickering matches. Absolutely disgusting. 

We all meet together for hike, 4 wheeling, etc., every week as we used to do it before COVID. 

The funny thing is no one, not even single person, is talking about virus. 

Now we have one more subject to add to the category of politics and religion. COVID virus. 

Political bickering related to COVID is sickening. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

I just wish my government in the US would force people to wear face masks in public. 

Well it's just not a Western thing anymore..no doubt due to becoming over used to them in World Wars 1 and 2.

Some Asian populations are far more used to wearing them now due to pollution.

As you know,i live in an Australian town which has a significant Asian population and I did a casual straw poll the other day.

About 99% of white Australians and kooris were not wearing masks.

About 80% of the Asian Australians were doing so.

8 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

There is no argument that the virus is extremely infectious, possibly up to 50% has been infected in the last months all over the world.

Now, you may have a look at the age and the pre-existing medical conditions of the deceased.

Why lock down millions of young, healthy people who have almost no chances to die from the virus ?

If i saw thousands of teens dying of covid19, i would eat my words, but..

Hate to say that again, but the "cure" seems to be worse than the disease.

Time will tell.

So young healthy people who are asymptomatic give the virus to older people who go serious/critical, fill up ICU's, with some dying . This is acceptable to you is it? By the way, what percentage of the entire world's population do you think would have one or more underlying health conditions. I have two and have had these my entire life. Don't believe the figures. Boon Vanuson (sp?) head of Thonburi Healthcare Group now saying that some hospital ICU's in BKK, including university hospitals are full and there are no more respirators. Also says actual numbers of infected could be as many as 200,000. Bangkok Post. You should also look at the figures now coming out of China. These are still more than likley understated. 

• Like 2