Are ventilators in hospital really deathtraps?

silver sea

Dr Cameron Kyle-Sidell  a young casualty doctor, “has watched over the beds of hundreds of coronavirus patients, and now believes they are dying because of the very treatment that is meant to save them ...”

In his youtube video, “ ... which has been viewed around the world, is heralding are-think concerning the treatment of severe cases of Covid-19. In particular, experts are now asking whether the best way of saving patients might be to saturate their blood with oxygen delivered through a mask without using a ventilator. 

This is the approach reportedly used during Boris Johnson's fight for life against the virus at London's St Thomas' Hospital intensive care unit. Before the pandemic took hold, Kyle-Sidell's theory might have been dismissed as maverick.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8230775/Is-proof-live-saving-ventilators-actually-deathtraps.html

Edited by silver sea
  • Like 1

About 2 weeks ago i read an interview with an Italian doctor, he was saying that the patients treated with ventilators have a mortality rate of 80%.

Another more technical interview was explaining more in detail why in fact, ventilators do damage the lungs.

Of course, i'm no expert, but those ventilators seem to be a bit suspicious.

• Thanks 1

Oh, and this is a post from another thread:

"Only 2,855 ventilators are actually available for use now, according to WHO Thailand.

And according to Dr Boon there's only 200 of the best type ventilators that actually trap the air without spreading the virus in the room, most of these are currently in use."

So there may be ventilators "who spread the virus in the room".. Amazing !

I'm gonna have too many questions, I just wish to learn some more, sorry. But I hope Sheryl and other medical professionals could give some light. 

Can respiration be temporarily, say for few weeks, be fully circumvented by taking patient's blood out, physically saturate the blood with required amount of oxygen and then pump it back to the patient? Does 02 bind with hemoglobin when it's done physically mixing blood with 02?

Would this cause lungs to collapse / malfunction? Is it possible to restart the lungs / respiratory system afterwards?

2 hours ago, TheDark said:

I'm gonna have too many questions, I just wish to learn some more, sorry. But I hope Sheryl and other medical professionals could give some light. 

Can respiration be temporarily, say for few weeks, be fully circumvented by taking patient's blood out, physically saturate the blood with required amount of oxygen and then pump it back to the patient? Does 02 bind with hemoglobin when it's done physically mixing blood with 02?

Would this cause lungs to collapse / malfunction? Is it possible to restart the lungs / respiratory system afterwards?

Ye, this can be done with something called ECHMO. Similiar to the heart/lung bypass machine used for open heart surgery.

These machines are in short supply, their use is highly complex an staff intensive and there are many serious potential complications from their use, including stroke. They are therefore not normally used in patients in respiratory failure but they are used sometimes in patients who  seem to have better than average potential for survival. Including some COVID cases.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Ye, this can be done with something called ECHMO. Similiar to the heart/lung bypass machine used for open heart surgery.

These machines are in short supply, their use is highly complex an staff intensive and there are many serious potential complications from their use, including stroke. They are therefore not normally used in patients in respiratory failure but they are used sometimes in patients who  seem to have better than average potential for survival. Including some COVID cases.

Thanks!

One good point of these type of special events is that it forces people to think out of the box and possibly find new solutions, even previously existing problems and diseases. 

Here is an illustration of the ECHMO machine. 

1-s2.0-S2213177918301288-fx1.jpg.216e6b93053de78a5cb507ff56562b97.jpg