What car do you drive in Thailand?

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Does anyone still have a car with windup windows?  

Now that would make better viewing / reading.   As for me a 15 yo Vios . Great little car , not the fastest , nor the most stylish car I have had but an all round goodun.

• Like 1

No car since 20 years, and I never missed one.

To be fair I live in the middle of Bangkok and I have two motorcycles.

Maybe once or twice a month I use a taxi, that's it.

P.S.: In my home country I always had a car since I was allowed to drive.

• Like 2

Had a little Honda click scooter for a few years when I first arrived here, but then decided to look for a second hand car in 2011, and bought an Opel Astra, which was okay for running around in, but not that reliable and had automatic gearbox problems, which I had tried to fix twice, but to no avail.

So finally decided to buy new car in 2012 and opted for the Suzuki Swift and it's been a fabulous car, with no problems whatsoever. Mind you it has only done 30,000 km and looks like new, and drives like it too!!

• Like 2

An 8-year-old Ford Fiesta. Hate it with passion. It feels like a Lego, consumes way too much petrol considering its engine and its size and its electronics are just not up to scratch.

4 more months installments left, so we can change for something more serious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1st Vehicle in Thailand was a 2008 Honda Elite 125, next was a 2012 Mitsubishi Triton GLR 4x4 because I lived deep in the country outside of Udon Thani, now since I live in the city, I just bought the new 2020 MG HS.  Good to have options.  Wanting to buy a new Motor Cycle, miss my Harley I had in the States, but the prices are stupid here....

• Like 1

I have the use of the same car as the OP only its a smart cab, which I am not a fan of, but I didn't pick it.

3 years ago I had to go home for my mums funeral, and while I was there my brother in law won second prize in the national lottery (500k). He paid off his loan for his small music business and bought the pickup and gave it to the wife. He went to the lottery office, got the cash, and spent it all on one day. They are both chuffed to bits even today with their first ever car.

We half on all the running costs and I insisted on better than the basic insurance. He uses it 80% of the time but as it's 'her car' we have priority. My wife can't drive - yet!

We take it on a shopping run once a month to the nearest Makro/BigC some 160 Km away. I don't mind driving it I just don't enjoy it like back home on the Scottish roads in normally something nicer (and quicker!).