Chiang Mai Governor prohibits people from land rotation farming in huge burnt area

rooster59

Chiang Mai Governor prohibits people from land rotation farming in huge burnt area

supawadee wangsri

63f9ceeee381d0d1c6f71d5a7cdc4029_small.jpg

CHIANG MAI (NNT) - The Governor of Chiang Mai has decreed that land rotation farming must not be carried out in more than 20,000 burnt areas and that such farming areas must not be expanded or the violators will be strictly prosecuted.

Mr Charoenrit Sanguansat, Governor of Chiang Mai, chaired a meeting of the Working Group of Chiang Mai PM 2.5 Problem Prevention and Solution Command Center, to follow up on the daily forest fire situation. Twenty-one hotspots were found in Mae Chaem district, becoming the highest number to date as the authorities have not been able to extinguish fires in many spots on steep mountains. However, officials have now been mobilized to extinguish the fires and construct firebreaks. Two helicopters from the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation have been used to spray water to help extinguish the fires.

The Governor of Chiang Mai emphasized today that if a fire occurs in a forest or a farming area nearby, and spreads to villagers’ farming areas, the owner of the area where the fire occured is considered a suspect and if he or she is found to have intentionally started the burning activity, his or her rights to use the area will be revoked immediately, and the culprit will be strictly prosecuted.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-04-19

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The Governor of Chiang Mai has decreed that land rotation farming must not be carried out in more than 20,000 burnt areas and that such farming areas must not be expanded or the violators will be strictly prosecuted.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I thought our illustrious leader had that one under control nationwide before?

'land rotation farming must not be carried out in more than 20,000 burnt areas' Why not? If the burnt area won't support growing crops then surely no one will use it.

I assume it means burning the area afterwards, rather than the land rotation itself?

Is there a definitive list of the 20,000 areas?

Who knows?

• Like 2

I would like to hear more about this Group...

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Working Group of Chiang Mai PM 2.5 Problem Prevention and Solution Command Center

Perhaps someone could ask  http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG200418143521186

Reporter : supawadee wangsri   Rewriter : Rodney McNeil   via  image.png.a3c0f4f64fb2d7e8bf71a17de2ae95e8.png ?

Fires April 12 to 19  2020   -   Chiang Mai in the middle of the screenshot. Most of the fires in the west/south west and east.

image.png.2716a8d001eca692f0639fdf62187264.png

• Like 2

Did he wake up yesterday ?

The Governor of Chiang Mai emphasized today that if a fire occurs in a forest or a farming area nearby, and spreads to villagers’ farming areas, the owner of the area where the fire occured is considered a suspect and if he or she is found to have intentionally started the burning activity, his or her rights to use the area will be revoked immediately, and the culprit will be strictly prosecuted.

I think he needs them !

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

the owner of the area where the fire occured is considered a suspect and if he or she is found to have intentionally started the burning activity, his or her rights to use the area will be revoked immediately, and the culprit will be strictly prosecuted.

Please don't only talk .

Do it !

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

CHIANG MAI (NNT) - The Governor of Chiang Mai has decreed that land rotation farming must not be carried out in more than 20,000 burnt areas and that such farming areas must not be expanded or the violators will be strictly prosecuted.

I guess as he couldn't or wouldn't stop the burning he's now decreed he can stop the planting.... good luck with that one.

If ever there was a governor that needed relocating it's this one.. Narathiwat is supposed to be nice this time of year!

• Like 1

Talk is cheap Mr Governor, without enforcement it's totally meaningless. Blah, blah, blah, rinse/repeat. No doubt next month he will say that his policies have worked, whereas in fact the improved air quality will be due to seasonal rainfall...... roll on May, when we can hopefully fill our lungs with fresh air and drink a few beers...????????

2 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

The Air Chiang Mai is really bad TIT

Excuse me TheFisherman1, but I'd like to know why you end 75% of your TVF posts with TIT.

TIT usually means 'This Is Thailand' and an appropriate usage might be to poke fun at some incident or statement that is peculiarly Thai in nature. But you use it randomly, with almost every statement you make and in most cases, as here, inappropriately.

I've also noticed that you've posted exactly the same comment:

"The Air Chiang Mai is really bad TIT"

... multiple times, whenever the subject matter is about Chiang Mai. It has become rather irritating, not least because right now, at the time you posted and for at least the past week, the air in Chiang Mai is not bad at all. PM2.5 where I live just north of the city is 65 as I write.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Antonymous said:

at the time you posted and for at least the past week, the air in Chiang Mai is not bad at all. PM2.5 where I live just north of the city is 65 as I write.

WHO (yes that useless organisation that can deal with worldwide coordination in a pandemic which trump has quite rightly and with perfect timing defunded) rates 25ppm as a limit for safety, here that is magically increased to 50. How can you say 65 is ‘not bad at all’? Certainly not as bad as it was, but still hazardous to health.

48 minutes ago, Sir Swagman said:

How can you say 65 is ‘not bad at all’?

If 'Antonymous' would have written:

After almost 3 months air pollution horror I'm today happy with an AQI of 65.

Would this be accepted, Sir Swagman?

AQI 65 is not good. It's moderate. - I'm sure Mr A. knows this too.

But it's much less dangerous than numbers around 150 or higher.

Which you will experience in CM tonite. - Sorry.

2 hours ago, Redline said:

Ban all burning period!

Good!

Worldwide.

Hoew could this poor(?) Governor of CM enforce this? 

In Thailand, Birma/Myanmar and Laos or Cambodia?

Let's not forget India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and China.

And in August/September Borneo/Indonesia, Brunei,

Kalimantan, Malaysia.

And then again it's Thai-Time...

Here Fires: Last 7 days.

image.png.04b8800256b78f7eedb9c1078696ae5f.png

18 hours ago, Yom said:

Good!

Worldwide.

Hoew could this poor(?) Governor of CM enforce this? 

In Thailand, Birma/Myanmar and Laos or Cambodia?

Let's not forget India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and China.

And in August/September Borneo/Indonesia, Brunei,

Kalimantan, Malaysia.

And then again it's Thai-Time...

Here Fires: Last 7 days.

image.png.04b8800256b78f7eedb9c1078696ae5f.png

Same way you enforce any fire ban-if there is smoke, authorities go out there.  The owner of the property is usually responsible-find the cause-fine and lock up individuals.  Take control of your own space.

• Like 1

The owner of the property is usually responsible

I'm afraid there might be no owner to find.

authorities go out there

This should be normal.

Take control of your own space.

The fires mostly seem to happen in almost impassable areas?

There is heat, dirt, sweat. Danger too. - Who likes that?

And there might be family, neighbours, friends.