Egg farmers' SOS to government

Jonathan Fairfield

Egg farmers' SOS to government

n4.jpg

Eggs are in oversupply again. This time egg farmers are urging the government to lift the ban on exports, otherwise egg farms might have to shut down due to high costs.

At the end of March, the Ministry of Commerce had banned the export of chicken eggs due to shortage, which had led to a price rise.

The private sector has now requested the government to lift the ban on export, as egg farmers cannot survive due to the high supply which has resulted in falling egg prices. The actual selling price of the farm is around Bt2.6 to Bt2.7 baht per egg, while the cost is Bt2.69 per egg. There is also an increase in water cost for raising chickens due to the hot weather, including the problem of chickens laying smaller eggs.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386354

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-19

• Haha 2

A vile, repulsive and inherently cruel industry. They should get nothing.

Donate eggs to the needy if oversupply is a problem.

Animal agriculture is a chief cause of zoonotic diseases. How many avian influenza strains do we need to be exposed to before people get the message I wonder. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

11 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Big C had stacks of them reduced by a third yesterday, bought a tray of 30 size O for 70 Baht; plenty available in local markets too but they are still price gouging using the excuse 'The Hens don't lay well when it's so hot' !

We pay 70 for 10 eggs normally...i don't want those cheap eggs cause i wonder what the difference is with the betagrow eggs...there must be something wrong with those cheap ones i guess, how can they be so cheap?

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Big C had stacks of them reduced by a third yesterday, bought a tray of 30 size O for 70 Baht; plenty available in local markets too but they are still price gouging using the excuse 'The Hens don't lay well when it's so hot' !

Selling at 175thb for a tray of 30,  in big C and 7-11 pattaya.

This is more expensive that Auckland,even..

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Wasn't there a shortage last week?

A shortage = price rise
Over stocked = price rise
welcome to Thailand..

here's an idea, sell them at 50% off, feed the starving and get rid of the excess eggs !

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Youlike said:

We pay 70 for 10 eggs normally...i don't want those cheap eggs cause i wonder what the difference is with the betagrow eggs...there must be something wrong with those cheap ones i guess, how can they be so cheap?

70 baht for 10 eggs, very expensive, I don't know how regular Thais can afford most groceries. Prices in supermarkets are also high except for several,items, wet markets much cheaper. When I lived in Bangkok I couldn't beleive the price of food in the supermRkets. 

I went to klong toey, once a week.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Wasn't there a shortage last week?

Only in the stores because people swamped the supply to horde them. There was never a 'real' shortage.

14 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

It's like the floods and immediate drought scenario.. A country run by soldiers

The worst flood I've experienced in 22 years was in 2011. Yingluck's government was in charge.  I'm not defending the 'soldiers', I'm just not agreeing that the floods are their fault. 

There have been many civilian governments that have spent all their time squabbling and protesting, not doing 'anything' to fix the problems. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A shortage = price rise
Over stocked = price rise
welcome to Thailand..

here's an idea, sell them at 50% off, feed the starving and get rid of the excess eggs !

Yes, get rid of the excess eggs, projectiles to be used on the government ministers so that there is plenty of real egg on their faces instead of the fake stuff. Make sure you remove their masks first if they are wearing any.

14 hours ago, Youlike said:

The only difference is the name "betagrow" I have been buying the trays of eggs from Big C, Makro and Telsco at a price of between 70B and 95B for a 30 egg tray and the only things is that they are not graded into sizes. A tray of 30 ungraded eggs is no problem and there is nothing wrong with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

The only difference is the name "betagrow" I have been buying the trays of eggs from Big C, Makro and Telsco at a price of between 70B and 95B for a 30 egg tray and the only things is that they are not graded into sizes. A tray of 30 ungraded eggs is no problem and there is nothing wrong with them.

EGGXACTLY!!!

17 hours ago, djayz said:

Never! Imagine the impact that would have on the dwindling tourist numbers. 

What dwindling tourist numbers ?

my meaning you have to gave some before they can dwindle.

Edited by Almer
Additional text

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The egg producers are not the only ones in need of help. The soup kitchen lines in Chiang Mai went 2km. around the moat the other day. There are alot of people in need here. Would be nice to see some wealthy Thai citizens step up, and share some of their wealth, with their people in this time of need. 

Soup Kitchen lines 2 Km long in Chang Mai

Egg producers wanting a Government handout because there is an oversupply of eggs.

These gougers should step up to the Plate, get their noses out of the Trough and donate some Eggs for their fellow Countrymen that are literally starving.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The egg producers are not the only ones in need of help. The soup kitchen lines in Chiang Mai went 2km. around the moat the other day. There are alot of people in need here. Would be nice to see some wealthy Thai citizens step up, and share some of their wealth, with their people in this time of need. 

Just read in a German paper that in a wealthy part of Hamburg some of the wealthy residents gave money to their small local shops to keep them alive until they are allowed to reopen.  

• Thanks 1