I think I royally screwed myself on Visa

So I was finally getting ready to go out to CW to transfer my stamp from my old passport which expired in March to my new passport. And I noticed or had forgotten that when I went in for my Visa Extension in November for one year, they only gave it to March - 5 mos of extension. So I guess I have been here illegally for about a month. Anybody have any idea how much trouble I am in and what I will have to do? I am hoping to just apply for a new visa and start the process all over again or ask for forgiveness because of covid and being forgetful at 66 years old. If I have to leave the country - if that is even possible - I know I won't be able to get back in. So <deleted> with myself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

You were only granted permission of stay until the expiry date of your passport (Mar 5th?)

You should have applied for a further extension on or before this date using your new passport.

The fine is 500 baht per day up to a maximum of 20,000 baht.

Other than the fine there are no other repercussions for an overstay less than 90 days.

Apply for your extension asap.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You were only granted permission of stay until the expiry date of your passport (Mar 5th?)

You should have applied for a further extension on or before this date using your new passport.

Other than the fine there are no other repercussions for an overstay less than 90 days.

Won't he need to exit Thailand and start over.

1 minute ago, BrianBkyn said:

The Extension was to March 18th. So you think I just need to go to CW, pay the fine and get another year extension the usual way I would do it with a TM 7, photos, bank info etc? 

Yes.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Won't he need to exit Thailand and start over.

No, his previous extensions were based on an original Non O Visa entry, or conversion to.

That position hasn't changed. He should take both Passports.

• Like 1

If his last extension expired more than a month ago, then how on earth can he get another extension to something that doesn't exist anymore.

It is an easy trap to fall into, luckily it was pointed out to me by a friend who had the same problem a few years back.

My sympathies Brian, hope u find a way through it all. Immigration would do well to show some compassionate understanding of ur predicament.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Under normal situations an IO may insist a new Non O is obtained after an overstay of a certain period of time, however that isn't possible due to the current situation. The only sensible option is to grant another 1 year extension after paying the fine.

"sensible options" and Immigration here don,t seem to go together....good luck to the OP anyhow :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

I utterly utterly disagree with this repeated mantra of no repercussions for less than 90 days overstay.

Its on your record and it stays there and absolutely no one can say that it wont come back to bite you in the backside years down the line

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Apply for an extension of stay relating to what?  He doesn't have a visa now, he's on overstay, isn't he?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chivas said:

I utterly utterly disagree with this repeated mantra of no repercussions for less than 90 days overstay.

There are no repercussions for overstay of less than 90 days other than paying any fines due.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, BrianBkyn said:

Thanks for the replies - a big load off my mind!

Yo Brooklyn?

There were a couple of times in the last 20 years where I had screwed up by IMM was always understanding and helped me through it... sometimes it took time [as in sitting around all day] but never money. 

Edited by kenk24
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, phuketrichard said:

march 18th- april 20

33 days overstay

Go asap to immigration and play the stupid, sorry farang game.

A fiend of mine, (here in Phuket)  a few years ago screwed up and went to do his retirement extension 4 days after his previous extension expired..

the officer said he would need go out an get a new visa and start over, he than asked him how much it would cost him to fly to Penang, stay, get a new o visa an return and than "offered" to fix it for 10,000 baht  ????

He was happy to pay as his farang wife's extension was also tied to his, so both of them would have needed to leave.

My thought. Just smile and pay for the mistake.

6 minutes ago, The Word said:

Apply for an extension of stay relating to what?  He doesn't have a visa now, he's on overstay, isn't he?

His original Non O Visa. You extend your permission of stay from that 90 day entry.

My Non O was dead the minute I used the single entry to enter Thailand.

You can't extend a Visa, you extend your permission of stay.

Yes, the OP is currently on overstay because he didn't renew his permission of stay at the appropriate time. There is nothing to stop Immigration backdating his permission of stay once the overstay fine is paid.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

dont you know a sympathetic local doctor

get a note confirming you were self isolating. no note just get the wife to say that 

pay the fine 

should be better than just paying the fine

take the wife explain impossible to leave and enter Thailand

common sense wil prevail

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, petermik said:

"sensible options" and Immigration here don,t seem to go together....good luck to the OP anyhow

Sensible options, Immigration and people who just don't remember to renew their extensions when they should don't seem to go together either....good luck to the OP, anyway.  

I sympathise with the OP's situation but the his position is not down to Immigration at all, we all have to remember to keep our stay here legitimate and up to date, surely?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Word said:

Sensible options, Immigration and people who just don't remember to renew their extensions when they should don't seem to go together either....good luck to the OP, anyway.  

I sympathise with the OP's situation but the his position is not down to Immigration at all, we all have to remember to keep our stay here legitimate and up to date, surely?

He hasn't blamed Immigration.

His issue is more common than reported.

He renewed his extension on a Passport expiring in less than a year.

Immigration cannot extend beyond the validity of the Passport.

He failed to notice the renewal date, assuming it was for 1 year the same as his previous extensions.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:
17 minutes ago, The Word said:

His original Non O Visa. You extend your permission of stay from that 90 day entry.

You can't extend a Visa, you extend your permission of stay.

Yes, the OP is currently on overstay because he didn't renew his permission of stay at the appropriate time. There is nothing to stop Immigration backdating his permission of stay once the overstay fine is paid.

"His original Non O Visa. You extend your permission of stay from that 90 day entry.

You can't extend a Visa, you extend your permission of stay".

Yes, I know and that's exactly what I said;  from my post..."Apply for an extension of stay relating to what?" 

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:
14 minutes ago, The Word said:

He hasn't blamed Immigration.

His issue is more common than reported.

He renewed his extension on a Passport expiring in less than a year.

Immigration cannot extend beyond the validity of the Passport.

He failed to notice the renewal date, assuming it was for 1 year the same as his previous extensions.

"He hasn't blamed Immigration".

I didn't say that he had blamed anyone, I was responding to petermik who was having a go at Immigration.

"He renewed his extension on a Passport expiring in less than a year.

Immigration cannot extend beyond the validity of the Passport".

I know that, I did read the OP.  I had the same experience when my passport didn't have a full year to expiration in 2018.

14 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

i never thought anyone would even walk out of immigration office without looking at what stamp they were given.

be it an extension, reentry permit,90 day report.... anything!!!

But guess i was wrong

I agree but most rely on the officers being competent and knowing their business, which is a grave error.

My local IO once gave me back a new 90 day report slip dated the same as the one they'd just removed …. I handed it straight back.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, The Word said:

Well, only if you don't take into account that if he's arrested with his overstay before he has time to get to Immigration then there are substantial repercussions.

The topic was specifically about a visit to his Immigration officer and what could happen.

Of course if he was arrested beforehand their are repercussions, which is why I stated he should go asap.

• Like 1