Golf courses reopening in May?

Thailand

Yes. The only timeframe mentioned is "after April." It's a recommendation coming out of a meeting of the กกท. whatever that is. Bunch of government guys. It lists their names, but doesn't spell out what กกท. is. 

I looked around a bit more. กกท is definitely Sports & Tourism. Chiang Mai News apparently thinks that abbreviation is sufficient. I can't say whether the first ก stands for กรรมการ/committee or just การ, which makes it a noun. 

Edited by LawrenceN
Corrected for clarity.

I tracked it down. It's the Sports Authority of Thailand. Even their own Facebook page only uses the abbreviation, but their cover photo has a photo of the sign in front of their building with it spelled out. TIT! 

• Like 1

They could have mandated social distancing Ie no more than one person in a cart and no sitting around in groups. One blanket statement for a whole country is easy for TPTB it takes little thought. But the reality is one glove does not fit all.

The word I am getting is 1, May.. Nothing official just a rumor.

There have been 3 courses open in Thailand since the beginning of the "lockdown" but that's something else.

Had a message from a Chiangmai course 'this morning, thought it was confirming opening but it was to presell packages for when they do open,quite good.

However, I think there will be offers galore so I passed on that one.

1 minute ago, Thailand said:

There have been 3 courses open in Thailand since the beginning of the "lockdown" but that's something else.

Had a message from a Chiangmai course 'this morning, thought it was confirming opening but it was to presell packages for when they do open,quite good.

However, I think there will be offers galore so I passed on that one.

I mentioned that some courses around Pattaya were telling a friend who runs a golf group that they were hoping to open 1st May. Unfortunately one of the courses confirmed that the 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th are all being treated as "holiday" days at a higher green fee rate........

So no great offers here yet and I am not yet convinced that they will open in Chonburi on the 1st. They did say that they did not expect the clubhouses to be open.

1 minute ago, topt said:

I mentioned that some courses around Pattaya were telling a friend who runs a golf group that they were hoping to open 1st May. Unfortunately one of the courses confirmed that the 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th are all being treated as "holiday" days at a higher green fee rate........

So no great offers here yet and I am not yet convinced that they will open in Chonburi on the 1st. They did say that they did not expect the clubhouses to be open.

A couple of the high-end Pattaya courses are already advertising being open from May 1st.

Chee Chan seem to think that "only" 3200 bt will have them rushing back ????????????????????????????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

A couple of the high-end Pattaya courses are already advertising being open from May 1st.

Chee Chan seem to think that "only" 3200 bt will have them rushing back ????????????????????????????

Don't forget the additional 1200 baht compulsory cart and caddy fee.............  

I heard today that Gassan Legacy & Gassan Khuntan in Lamphun are opening on 1 May. I also heard from the same golfing friend in Chiang Mai Province that he played golf last weekend in Chiang Rai at Waterford G C. which apparently has remained open for the entire lockdown period imposed in Chiang Rai ( no one in no one out ) unless you have a letter approving you to travel from your local district office.

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

I heard today that Gassan Legacy & Gassan Khuntan in Lamphun are opening on 1 May. I also heard from the same golfing friend in Chiang Mai Province that he played golf last weekend in Chiang Rai at Waterford G C. which apparently has remained open for the entire lockdown period imposed in Chiang Rai ( no one in no one out ) unless you have a letter approving you to travel from your local district office.

Was your golfing friend Thai? Farangs have been refused entry to Waterford Valley, I was one of them.

Santiburi, Happy City and the old airport nine-holer have remained open for the whole period when courses elsewhere were closed. I played the airport course today.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Was your golfing friend Thai? Farangs have been refused entry to Waterford Valley, I was one of them.

Santiburi, Happy City and the old airport nine-holer have remained open for the whole period when courses elsewhere were closed. I played the airport course today.

Social distancing, masks not required I am guessing, caddies available?

Interesting that 3 of the 5 courses open in Thailand are in Chiang Rai, ownership or something else?

Waterford, no foreigners is a Covid policy I guess or just anti foreigners, any signs to indicate that or simply just told not welcome?

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Social distancing, masks not required I am guessing, caddies available?

Interesting that 3 of the 5 courses open in Thailand are in Chiang Rai, ownership or something else?

Waterford, no foreigners is a Covid policy I guess or just anti foreigners, any signs to indicate that or simply just told not welcome?

Caddies available at Santiburi and Happy City, none at the airport course, just buggy hire.

There were two security guys at the entrance to Waterford, cannot. They let a couple of cars through, what about them? They are Thai. Cannot. My GF explained I'd been living in Thailand for ten years, cannot. No signs, just two uniformed guys, presumably with orders.

OK, you don't want my dirty farang money. I've played golf at places such as Pine Valley, Oakmont and the Old Course at St. Andrew's. Kananaskis and Banff in Canada. Given it's a 45 minute drive out to Waterford Valley, I can afford to give it a miss.

I'd have to say it's the first time I've experienced racial discrimination in Thailand. I thought it was more ridiculous than offensive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Caddies available at Santiburi and Happy City, none at the airport course, just buggy hire.

There were two security guys at the entrance to Waterford, cannot. They let a couple of cars through, what about them? They are Thai. Cannot. My GF explained I'd been living in Thailand for ten years, cannot. No signs, just two uniformed guys, presumably with orders.

OK, you don't want my dirty farang money. I've played golf at places such as Pine Valley, Oakmont and the Old Course at St. Andrew's. Kananaskis and Banff in Canada. Given it's a 45 minute drive out to Waterford Valley, I can afford to give it a miss.

I'd have to say it's the first time I've experienced racial discrimination in Thailand. I thought it was more ridiculous than offensive.

Waterford crossed off your list for the future? ????

4 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Waterford crossed off your list for the future? ????

I don't rule anything out, but it is a fair drive out there. I'd need to know I was welcome.

The only course I have seen in Thailand which bears a bit of comparison with the legendary golf courses I have played is Santiburi. Being born and raised in the world famous sand belt golf area of Melbourne, it does take a fair bit to impress me.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Let's hope they don't impose 2 balls max. That would be 4 with caddies so nonsense really. Just social distancing where possible is the best option and optional caddy if it's an issue

The Thais will still play in groups of 5- 6 as soon as the opportunity arise, don't forget many of those that play golf are military, police and government officials.

I like the idea of 2/3 ball max with caddies  but would be just another rule to be broken.

42 minutes ago, Thailand said:

I and a few friends did,did you?

No I'm not a fan of compulsory caddies so stopped using them years ago, i help other girls though.

Something more useful re Bangkok which could be the same elsewhere

Screenshot_20200428-162354.png

Edited by scubascuba3

Play Sand Creek!!!!  Are you kidding ?!!

Well, at least fuel is inexpensive and they might be able to afford to cut the grass! But I actually doubt it.

Are you on the dole?  The caddies run the course.  Why not support one!!

Maybe you should take up tiddywinks.  Cheaper!

Edited by Mapguy
clarity
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Mapguy said:

Play Sand Creek!!!!  Are you kidding ?!!

Well, at least fuel is inexpensive and they might be able to afford to cut the grass! But I actually doubt it.

Are you on the dole?  The caddies run the course.  Why not support one!!

Maybe you should take up tiddywinks.  Cheaper!

Most people who don't like Sand Creek find it difficult to play.

And as you said has been run by the few caddies and staff there and they really need the money and they certainly will now.

Pisses me off when I see players pulling their own trolleys and playing a couple of balls on every hole and then trying to find the balls.