Drug championed by Trump for coronavirus shows no benefit, possible harm in study awaiting validation

webfact

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Total nonsense. There is so much misunderstanding of this issue. Dr. Zalenko treated nearly 1,000 infected patients with this drug cocktail, just north of NYC, and how many of them died? Zero.  Compared to a national average of 5%!

It is about combining the correct amounts of Zipro, Hydro and Zinc. And it works. 

For those who insist on long clinical studies, what are the alternatives? Ventilators? They are a death sentence. An 80% mortality rate. 

The CDC, WHO, and especially the emtremely toxic and corrupt FDA all have an agenda. Support big pharma, at any cost. Let them die and let's wait. Wait for a costly vaccine, so big pharma can cash in, at the expense of humanity. As hard as they are trying to,deceive us, truth cannot be suppressed. 

Sorry, but this homey does not play the sicker game. I have a nice supply here at home just in case. 

For those of you who are interested in facts and truth here it is. The Israeli government hired him. And guess what their mortality rate has been since they started using the cocktail? Very, very low. 

https://pulseofisrael.com/2020/04/05/does-this-dr-have-the-miracle-cure-for-coronavirus/

Time will tell the true story.  All I know for certain is that if I were infected, I'd want my own doctor to be able to advice me on whether or not HCQ was a wise option...for ME!  Only a person's doctor know his/her specific situation, and the decision whether or not HCQ is a wise option should be made by the doctor and the patient...and nobody else!  It certainly should not be affected by the actions of some bureaucrat with a self-serving hidden agenda. 

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Time will tell the true story.  All I know for certain is that if I were infected, I'd want my own doctor to be able to advice me on whether or not HCQ was a wise option...for ME!  That decision should be between a patient and his/her doctor...and nobody else, and certainly not some bureaucrat with a self-serving hidden agenda. 

Correct. However doctor or no doctor, if I get infected, I will be using the cocktail. Few side effects. And certainly no side effect as strong as death! And the bottom line is, that very few doctors will prescribe this, as it has not undergone the clinical trials, which means less than zero to me. Only progressive doctors, who are smart enough to think outside the box, dance on their feet, and ignore protocols that are almost totally ineffective against Covid, will try this and find success with it. 

More grist for the mill- 

“We are operating under a medical paradigm that is untrue,” Kyle-Sidell warned. “I believe we are treating the wrong disease, and I fear that this misguided treatment will lead to a tremendous amount of harm to a great number of people in a very short time.” Weeks later, claims from Kyle-Sidell and like-minded doctors continue to spark impassioned debate within the medical community, with some doctors moving away from the use of ventilators (smart, progressive and able to learn as they go) and others defending the current standard of care (simple minded, dogmatic, and unwilling to move away from standardized protocols, even when their patients are dying in mass).

https://time.com/5820556/ventilators-covid-19/

Edited by spidermike007

27 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

What does your comment mean?  I said that liberal (left leaning) media will do anything to attack Trump, even if it put's public health in jeopardy.  They heavily touted this flawed Stanford study which encouraged the public to start protesting lockdown measures as being too severe, based on these flawed findings. 

Why did the liberal media tout this study without first doing some serious fact-checking and analysis?  Because it would make the Administration's strategy for controlling the virus look draconian and beyond reason...pure and simple.  It doesn't take a PhD to see their motivation. 

Their actions jeopardize the gains being made to flatten the curve of this pandemic, and in a very real sense, put everybody at increased risk...all for political gain.

It is the right wing, often extreme right wing, and Trump followers organising the protests, not the liberals.

The administration's measures are seen as Draconian?

Please.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Correct. However doctor or no doctor, if I get infected, I will be using the cocktail. Few side effects. And certainly no side effect as strong as death!

Personally, I'm not a big fan of self-medicating, but if it had originally been prescribed (as a malaria prophylaxis for example), I wouldn't fault somebody, providing they used the same prescribed dosage.  Still, probably wiser to find a doctor who believe in the protocol to oversee it.  I mean, proper dosage of all three drugs seems very important form what I've read, and monitoring blood samples is also important.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, simple1 said:

A more detailed explainer of the potential role of anti-malarial drugs like hydroxychloroquine against the COVID-19 coronavirus disease, with or without antibiotics, can be found here. Zelenko’s claims, however, rest solely on taking him at his word: He has published no data, described no study design, and reported no analysis.

Regardless, making an assertion in a blog post or in a YouTube interview that neither describes the study design nor provides the actual data used to reach a conclusion about efficacy cannot, in any way, be critically evaluated. As such, this claim is rated “Unproven.”

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/zelenko-669-coronavirus-patients/

You trust this individuals claims - really...

leaders and community groups in Dr. Zelenko's hometown of Kiryas Joel have requested he cease publicizing his new medication, or else leave them out of his statements, after he wrongly claimed that 90% of the town's population had coronavirus - a statement which the county health commissioner blasted as "irresponsible" in light of the fact that he had only tested 14 patients.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/278064

And you are falling for pure politics and PR. That means nothing to me. Clinical trials are great, when you have the luxury of time. We do not. Dr. Zelenko is a hero, and a courageous man, for trying to find a cure, when there are none available, using standardized methods. He is saving lives, while the more conventional doctors are allowing their patients to die on their watch. Sorry, we just could not do anything for you. The FDA told us to not try anything they did not condone. We will not defy the FDA, or the WHO. They know everything. 

They said he had exaggerated the extent of the coronavirus outbreak in Kiryas Joel, using a small sample of his patients to predict that as many as 90% of village residents would get the virus. “Dr. Zelenko’s videos have caused widespread fear that has resulted in the discrimination against members of the Hasidic community throughout the region,” the officials wrote, disputing the figure. Zelenko said he understood the need for clinical trials but added that ignoring a hopeful possibility was also risky. “I’m a strong supporter of clinical trials,” he said. “But they take time, and that’s one thing we don’t have. The virus is here, it’s World War III, and not everyone has fully comprehended that yet.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-nw-nyt-coronavirus-vladimir-zelenko-hydroxychloroquine-cure-20200402-s4rwdsfi5ncx7oyxoiwgmoml7y-story.html

00virus-zelenko1-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Personally, I would trust my own doctor to help ME decide whether or not HCQ was a good option or not.  That decision should be up to the patient and his/her doctor...and nobody else.

Oh...so you are also okay with anti- vaxxers?

After all it's the decission of the patient, right?!

Funny thing: I never asked my doctor for hints or advice and then made my "own and informed" decission!

But then...I trust my doctor!

Edited by The Barmbeker
  • Confused 1

The photo of University of Minnesota has zero to do with another webfarce.   The VA is a disgrace. and only employs the worst of the worst.  They killed my cousin on a botched gall bladder surgery.  It has become obvious the globalist are getting too much mileage out of this, and have been wrong at every turn. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_T._Lasseter

Edited by moontang
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, The Barmbeker said:

Oh...so you are also okay with anti- vaxxers?

After all it's the decission of the patient, right?!

Funny thing: I never asked my doctor for hints or advice and then made my "own and informed" decission!

But then...I trust my doctor!

I trust my doctor as well but any competent doctor expects the patient to make the final decision, based on the doctor's input. It's not the doctor's right or responsibility to make that decision.

And yes, there are many people who don't like the idea of vaccines.  I'm not one of them, but it is their right to decide, not anyone else's. 

You do realise that we live in a free society, right?

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I trust my doctor as well but any competent doctor expects the patient to make the final decision, based on the doctor's input. It's not the doctor's right or responsibility to make that decision.

And yes, there are many people who don't like the idea of vaccines.  I'm not one of them, but it is their right to decide, not anyone else's. 

You do realise that we live in a free society, right?

In some countries it is their decision, in others it is not since they are enabling several illnesses to re-emerge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

It's efficacy has been in the early stages of infection (not advanced stages), as a means of preventing the virus from attaching, and then entering into the cell membrane, and as a means of allowing the passage of zinc inside the cell membrane so as to possibly interfere with replication.

Indeed, the role of the hydroxychloroquine seems to be solely to facilitate this access, allowing the zinc (which has known antiviral effects) to enter the cell membrane. Without the hydroxychloroquine the zinc cannot do this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

More recent studies have cited a regimen of 200mg daily for five days which would appear both too short and insufficient dosage, aside from being administered much too late in the process. 

Edit: 200mg twice daily for five days. But still only ⅔ the earlier dosage, for only half the duration. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chiphigh said:

After actually looking at the way this is being touted as "scientific" 

It shamefully does not state these relevant facts :

1 they did not give the patient the drug until AFTER they were intubated. 

2 this has not been peer reviewed by anyone

3. The head of the VA clearly says the treatment is working for young and middle aged vets. 

4. This study does not take into account any of the evidence of the people who have been cleared by using the same treatment. 

Now, all the same <<<<trolling reference toward Mr. Trump edited out>>>> bad posters have been predictably blabbering on about "I told you so" without a shred of trying to see if this one sided narrative is true or not. Zero interest in the actual story and actual examples of how this treatment is successful in many thousands of cases. 

Of course, these same rabid posters will immediately discount this video that clearly states the facts because of the source does not fit their narrative. 

Have fun:

15 hours ago, Chiphigh said:

Nonsense, refer to Dr Stephen Smith and his ongoing success in treating his patients with the combination of hydrochloroquine and Zithromax, and clearly stating that early treatment is necessary for success. 

Rather than ask us to waste nine minutes watching Laura Ingraham, why not tell us what peer reviewed studies support the use of hydroxychloroquinine?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

The study that these claims are based on is seriously FLAWED!  Check out links provided in previous posts and take the time to become better informed with genuine facts, not fiction that's being promoted by irresponsible members of mass media.

It doesn't take a genius to see how flawed the study is, and just because someone has credentials doesn't necessarily make their view correct. 

Did you even bother to listen to Martinson's analysis of the study.  It is very compelling, and completely science-based.

And by the way, this so-called "talking head" as you put it, is also doctor with a PHD from Duke, and has a consistent track record for debunking false claims by such esteemed members of the medical professions, especially those who conduct flawed studies, and those who also serve as "talking heads" for personal gain and notoriety.

There's no "political narrative"; I'm only interested in science based facts.  It's obvious you have not even bothered to review the videos being discussed, and just seem content to believe whatever you hear on the news. 

It's a big mistake these days to just blindly accept whatever some mass media commentator is pushing; most of which have huge political agendas, and can hardly be thought of as legitimate unbiased journalists.

Believe what you wish; time will prove you wrong in your unfounded viewpoint. 

Why not provide links to peer reviewed, published stories?  Video links have little credibility.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Have you even bothered to acquaint yourself with the current findings of hydroxychloroquine use for Covid-19?  It sounds like you have not...at all. 

It's efficacy has been in the early stages of infection (not advanced stages), as a means of preventing the virus from attaching, and then entering into the cell membrane, and as a means of allowing the passage of zinc inside the cell membrane so as to possibly interfere with replication.

In early stage use, it has been shown to be highly effective based on anecdotal accounts...and just because these are anecdotal does not diminish the veracity of such claims since these claims are being made by credentialed and knowledgable medical doctors! 

It's a well accepted fact by its' proponents that once the virus has entered the cell and been able to begin replicating, hydroxychloroquine has no efficacy at all.

And furthmore, none of the proponents of its' use claim that it is a "cure".  Rather, it is intended to slow the progression of symptoms, perhaps allowing the patient some more time to develop a stronger immune response, to avoid a trip to ICU, or at least minimize the time in ICU which helps avoid the health care system from becoming overwhelmed.

If you are going to promote "initial studies", at least know what you are talking about.  There are now well over 3,000 documented cases of patients who have successfully been treated.

Once again, most people who have Covid 19 recover on their own, without taking drugs designed to treat other diseases.  In fact, there are many more than 3000 documented cases of this happening.  Why take drugs when you will probably recover without them?

There is also the issue that most people can't get tested for Covid 19 until they exhibit symptoms, and sometimes not even then.  The recommendation is to self-isolate if you think you have Covid 19 and your symptoms are mild.  Only seek medical attention if the symptoms become severe, at which time, according to you, it is too late for hydroxychloroquine to be of benefit.

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Once again, most people who have Covid 19 recover on their own, without taking drugs designed to treat other diseases.

Exactly, right now I trust my own immune system more than this coctail of drugs that could make things worse. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

<SNIP> Zelenko said he understood the need for clinical trials but added that ignoring a hopeful possibility was also risky. “I’m a strong supporter of clinical trials,” he said. “But they take time, and that’s one thing we don’t have. <SNIP>

To summarise the guy used spin in an endeavour to cover his lies. if you wish to follow a man who lies and misinforms go ahead, but to promote such an individual is unfortunate; same comment applies to trump who misinforms on a daily basis (current count 18,000+ since coming to power). trumps also abuses his position by suppressing / firing people who speak truth to power. 

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, heybruce said:

Why not provide links to peer reviewed, published stories?  Video links have little credibility.

The debate in this thread is starting to get a little ridiculous.  Right now there is no definitive evidence whether or not HCQ has efficacy in treating Covid-19.  SInce this is a very fast moving situation, there has not yet been time for peer-reviews or rigorous clinical trials.  However, there is strong anecdotal evidence that it may help slow down symptoms, and therefore every reason that research should be aggressively pursued in light of these positive findings.

Here are the three well regarded and significant studies that I know of that support its' use, and one that is about to start that will be the first true randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled study (by Novartis).

You need to actually read the reports to draw your own conclusions since I am not going to do that for you in the interest of not introducing my own bias. 

Click on links to see actual study reports and READ THEM.  If you do not read the actual reports and rely only on unsubstantiated news stories about them, then you have no business criticizing them:

Study 1 – March 16, 2020

Breakthrough: Chloroquine phosphate has shown apparent efficacy in treatment of COVID-19 associated pneumonia in clinical studies

Researchers from China reported in a letter that over 100 people with COVID-19 have been treated with chloroquine. These patients had less severe disease and a shorter illness duration compared to those who did not receive chloroquine. However, results from these studies are not yet available, nor do we have a lot of information about the type of people who received this drug, or what dose they took and for how long.

Study 2 – March 20, 2020

Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19: results of an open-label non-randomized clinical trial

A small study in France reported that people who got 600 mg of hydroxychloroquine had a lower amount of the virus (viral load) in the body. The problem with this study is that comparisons were made between patients at different hospitals. This makes it difficult to know if improvements were because of hydroxychloroquine or other things. And, of the 26 people who initially got hydroxychloroquine, 6 people (23%) had to stop treatment because of nausea, worsening disease, leaving the hospital, or death.

Study 3 – March 31, 2020

Efficacy of hydroxychloroquine in patients with COVID-19: results of a randomized clinical trial

A small, randomized study of 62 people in Wuhan, China looked at how well hydroxychloroquine worked for hospitalized patients with mild COVID-19. Cough and fever improved about 1 day earlier for those who got 400 mg of hydroxychloroquine for 5 days compared to those who did not get any. Additionally, pneumonia improved in 25 of 31 patients who received hydroxychloroquine (compared to 17 of 31 in the group who didn’t). Larger clinical studies are still needed to better understand the type of patients who may respond best to this treatment.

UPCOMING NOVARTIS STUDY

It should also be noted that Novartis, the major pharmaceutical company is about to conduct a 450 person study, and it will be a randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled study consisting of three options: hydroxychloroquine, the combination of hydroxychloroquine and the antibiotic azithromycin, or placebo.  The study will be led by Richard E. Chaisson, a professor of medicine, epidemiology and international health at Johns Hopkins University.

Also, keep in mind that while its use is not yet approved by the FDA for COVID-19 as of 7 April 2020, there is an Emergency Use Authorization for such use.

Edited by WaveHunter

16 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Trump has moved on. Even he kniws the drug is useless. Now hes onto his next eureka moment.

Inject some dettol then shine a uv light up your butt.

Then he had the audacity to accuse a reporter of being fake news for questioning him about it.

Even his two specialists said no.

trump will be turning his tanning bed up to "11".

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Also, keep in mind that while its use is not yet approved by the FDA for COVID-19 as of 7 April 2020, there is an Emergency Use Authorization for such use.

Not without push back with very good reasons.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/former-fda-leaders-decry-emergency-authorization-malaria-drugs-coronavirus

7 hours ago, heybruce said:

Once again, most people who have Covid 19 recover on their own, without taking drugs designed to treat other diseases.  In fact, there are many more than 3000 documented cases of this happening.  Why take drugs when you will probably recover without them?

There is also the issue that most people can't get tested for Covid 19 until they exhibit symptoms, and sometimes not even then.  The recommendation is to self-isolate if you think you have Covid 19 and your symptoms are mild.  Only seek medical attention if the symptoms become severe, at which time, according to you, it is too late for hydroxychloroquine to be of benefit.

Many people recover without pharmaceutical treatment...not "most".  There's a big difference between the two words.  If you or a loved one finds themselves developing serious complications, I think you might be very interested in a possible pharmaceutical treatment.

Yes, timing seems to be critical for HCQ to work, but if early symptoms are highly indicative of Covid-19 (i.e.: progression to shortness of breath), it's not too late for HCQ to possibly do some good.

It shouldn't be thought of as a "cure" but simply a way to slow down the progression of symptoms and perhaps allow the person's immune response to kick in more, perhaps avoid visit to ICU, or if that occurs, minimize time in ICU.  it's not just for the benefit of the patient but also minimizes the chances of overwhelming the capabilities of the health care system.

Honestly, I think some of the other possible treatment options being studied will be probably prove to be better (like Remdesivir), but the thing is, HCQ has already been developed, thoroughly tested for safety, and been in use for decades.  Why not use it?  When properly administered by a qualified physician, the potential benefits would seem to outweigh risks. 

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

The debate in this thread is starting to get a little ridiculous.  Right now there is no definitive evidence whether or not HCQ has efficacy in treating Covid-19.  SInce this is a very fast moving situation, there has not yet been time for peer-reviews or rigorous clinical trials.  However, there is strong anecdotal evidence that it may help slow down symptoms, and therefore every reason that research should be aggressively pursued in light of these positive findings.

"However, there is strong anecdotal evidence that it may help slow down symptoms"

There is strong evidence the side effects are major and there is strong anecdotal evidence as Covid 19 medicine it not working.

So yes, the jury is still out, and in the mean time I think it should not be used.

• Like 2