Covid-19: "Kind hearted lady" distributing charity to homeless is prosecuted by Bangkok police

webfact

Covid-19: "Kind hearted lady" distributing charity to homeless is prosecuted by Bangkok police

3pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A woman described in the media as a "kind hearted lady" will have to explain herself in court. 

She was handing out supplies to homeless people on Krung Kasem Road in the Hualampong area on the 12th of April. 

Crowds gathered and social distancing was not met. 

Pol Col Jaruphat Thongkamol, chief of the Phlap Phla Chai police, said that his investigation team were prosecuting the lady for contravening the emergency decree that is in place in Thailand. 

He urged charities and individuals to tell the authorities about handouts so that they can help to ensure that social distancing is carried out and the events do not contribute to the spread of coronavirus. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-22

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

If the BIB had either brains or compassion, they would have set about organising the crowd so that social distancing was met, and the hungry still got their supplies. Prosecuting the woman is a step too far in my opinion.

You are correct of course.

Unfortunately, the government needs the fines money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

^ Ignorance of the law is not a defence.

Fair do's when the law is clearly stated. Show me that's the case here and I'll agree with you.

Many rules and regulations in Thailand include clauses stipulating requirements A / B / C and then "or as may be determined by a competent official", meaning that A/B/C can be tossed aside at the whim of some paper pusher.  

• Like 2

Vile and pathetic approach from the police force. They should assist in this situation, not prosecute. 

There were some other news where police was trying to fine people for not wearing masks. Which again is an unspeakable approach. Instead they could offer free masks to people that don't have one.

I really despise the way the current government handles the lockdown enforcing unreasonable restrictions and penalties.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:
51 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

^ Ignorance of the law is not a defence.

23 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Fair do's when the law is clearly stated. Show me that's the case here and I'll agree with you.

Many rules and regulations in Thailand include clauses stipulating requirements A / B / C and then "or as may be determined by a competent official", meaning that A/B/C can be tossed aside at the whim of some paper pusher.  

There was a similar incident to this in Bangkok about 2 weeks ago that was covered on the forum and no doubt in plenty of other media outlets. The crowd was dispersed, but to my knowledge, no prosecution was made.

However the municipal authorities did state at the time that anyone who wished to arrange for food distribution should contact them first so that the proper arrangements, in compliance with the current rules, can be made.

Now if I knew about that up here in rural Issan, folks in the city ought to know about it as well.

The authorities have recently come out to try to manage to the proliferation of food and goods donations stations, after reports of lack of social distancing. They have asked the public to instead donate goods to them and allow them to do the distribution. However, not everyone is comfortable with this edict, preferring to do the distribution themselves.

The new order is that no one may distribute food to more than 100 people per day. The lines have to also be socially distant and all people wear masks. Hand sanitisers must also be provided by those handing out the goods.

Authorities do admit, however, that they do not have enough personnel to cover all distribution points, so ask the public to please follow the COVID procedures.

I thought this article from Chiang Mai Citylife was quite interesting. Quote from article above (with my addition of some bits in bold - as I thought they were quite revealing)

https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citynews/local/food-lines-growing-longer/

1 hour ago, smedly said:

That should have been made clear to everyone from the start so that everyone was on the same page - hardly her fault and taking her to court is a bit harsh - maybe she will counter sue because she was not informed of this arrangement and neither was anyone else 

The rules about maximum numbers allowed and the parameters of social distancing have all been stated clearly in the original SoE and all the subsequent municipal and provincial governor's edicts. A crowd is a crowd is a crowd, regardless of the selfless philanthropy that allegedly caused it.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

If the BIB had either brains or compassion, they would have set about organising the crowd so that social distancing was met, and the hungry still got their supplies. Prosecuting the woman is a step too far in my opinion.

The BiB is already a charity. Why on earth would they suddenly get all compassionate on us?

FWIW, these public spirited donations sessions are playing out nationwide. In Udon, I have seen a couple of roadside events where eggs and rice are being handed out and the lines are long and nobody does the social distancing bit. I did see a set of red strobes on 'police' pickup but it was only the municipal trade watchdogs, the guys that bust the 'illegal' pavement-squatting noodle sellers, checking up on things.

Nothing to see here, get your eggs and rice and move along now.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The rules about maximum numbers allowed and the parameters of social distancing have all been stated clearly in the original SoE and all the subsequent municipal and provincial governor's edicts. A crowd is a crowd is a crowd, regardless of the selfless philanthropy that allegedly caused it.

I was referring to special arrangements you must apply if you are giving out aid - as in the OP - informing authorities so they can assist in enforcing the rules (their responsibility)

smart (deleted)

He urged charities and individuals to tell the authorities about handouts so that they can help to ensure that social distancing is carried out and the events do not contribute to the spread of coronavirus.

Edited by smedly

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Absolutely! In every case where the BIB are arresting people trying to lend a hand, they should organize to help not arrest. I agree with you 100%

• Thanks 1

And a couple of days ago City Hall of Pattaya did exaxtly the same and there was hundreds of thais waiting to get food. Police come and did what, prosecuting the head of City Hall. No no, they had the hungry people to leave and without food. That is how the law works in a "democrazy" where a military regim have the power (but no brains). Do they ever think of when people will say enough is enough? Pack your bag and get ready to board your submarine MR PM.  

Edited by Parsve
Ms