Covid 19 health insurance

Hi All

I believe Health insurance with covid 19 cover is required when entering thailand now (i know there are no flights at present) I am a uk citizen with a thai wife of 11 years, i was living in thailand permanently for 7 years (marriage extensions), I went to uk with wife & daughter for xmas &  new year and they returned to thailand whilst i stayed for work   Now because of no flights my marriage extension has expired so was going to enter thailand with stamp & get new visa there

problem is now im in denmark working & company will fly me home to thailand from denmark in 6 weeks, Can i get health insurance online that will be accepted by immigration as i won't be returning to the uk

Cheers

Contact a broker like AA Insurance, they can get quotes for you, as you appear to be resident in Thailand the process will be simpler for a yearly health insurance policy.

You might be able to 'wing it' and just get a regular travel insurance to get into the country if you can find a travel insurance company in the UK who will accept you but as you're not resident there that might be hard. Of course you might not tell them you're not resident which will nullify the cover but will probably get you in.

A lot can change inside the next 6 weeks as well, so I would gather information now but wait another month before doing anything.

'

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

I am not sure what the requirements for entry if possible will be after the 30th. I suggest you check here on the 30th or 1st of May to find out what they are. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

As far as covid insurance I have no idea how you can get the previously required $100,000 US of covid 19 insurance.

I was under the impression that whilst the U.K. fco “advises against all but essential travel”, travel insurance is invalid.

Does anyone know if that is true ?

Also if your thai resident maybe this will be available for you . https://www.axa.co.th/en/travel-accident-protection

Good luck and if possible keep us updated as many are in the same boat.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not sure what the requirements for entry if possible will be after the 30th. I suggest you check here on the 30th or 1st of May to find out what they are. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

As far as covid insurance I have no idea how you can get the previously required $100,000 US of covid 19 insurance.

Any unlimited health insurance should by definition also include Covid 19 insurance. Maybe it is sufficient if the company states as much or stamps a relevant thai document. Just my 2 cents...

Edited by stat
  • Like 1

From my terms and conditions with William Russell UK insurers (international insurance plan).

In line with the terms and conditions of our plans, you are not covered if you knowingly travel to an area where there are confirmed coronavirus cases — if such travel is against the advice issued by the authorities in the country where you are resident and the country you are travelling to.

• Like 1

On the U.K. FCO website there is a general warning against all but essential travel.

If you go on Thailand specific FCO page however it states: 

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to areas within the provinces on the Thailand-Malaysia border, including:

• Pattani
  • Yala
  • Narathiwat
  • Southern Songkhla province

Does this mean you can still travel to other parts of Thailand and be covered by your insurance ?

5 hours ago, HerbyJFlash said:

Does this mean you can still travel to other parts of Thailand and be covered by your insurance ?

I'm in Sweden but have the same recommendations from state department. 

I checked with my insurance company as I was going in late March. 

They said all travel insurance was void if I travel. 

I'm stuck here in Sweden, but it's okey as there's no lockdown here. 

I did some research about Covid 19 insurance.

1.  Several Thai insurance companies sell Covid 19 Insurance but based upon my research the policy limit is only at 1 million Baht. This will not satisfy the past immigration of 100,000 USD(slightly over 3 Million Baht).

2.  I have Pacific Cross health insurance and they will cover Covid 19. I believe other Thai Health Insurance Companies will also cover for Covid 19 Illness related treatment.  

3.  The Travel Insurance Companies I have checked with have a large disclaimer on the first page.  In short it states Covid 19 has been declared a pandemic and no coverage is provided for pandemics.  

If the current Immigration Covid 19 Insurance requirements remain then it will be very difficult to find a policy to satisfy this.  Of course everything is subject to change.  

5 hours ago, HerbyJFlash said:

On the U.K. FCO website there is a general warning against all but essential travel.

If you go on Thailand specific FCO page however it states: 

That is old info and is related to the unrest in the South. Nothing to do with corvid 19.

On 4/22/2020 at 5:03 PM, stat said:

Any unlimited health insurance should by definition also include Covid 19 insurance. Maybe it is sufficient if the company states as much or stamps a relevant thai document. Just my 2 cents

All insurance is void if you travel while not recommended by state department. 

On 4/24/2020 at 3:27 PM, HerbyJFlash said:

Just found this page ...

Interesting. I just requested a quote. I am 63 years old. Their example coverage was $116/month for someone significantly younger.

It appears that this is remote worker health insurance, not cover for a short-term traveler, which is what I am looking for, just in case they keep this requirement. I'll let you all know what I hear.

Since I am in the US, it may be another decade until they allow us to enter the Kingdom anyway.

7 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Some Thai companies are still offering  100,000 baht cover for 850 baht, would that be Acceptable by immigration

Current Thai regs state $100,000 US Dollar value. That is 3,240,000 baht worth of coverage

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, tonray said:

Current Thai regs state $100,000 US Dollar value.

At this time that requirement does not exist since the are not allowing any passenger flights in other than those for repatriation.

Nobody knows what the requirements will be when they allow flights into the country.

• Like 1