Extension experience at Chiang Mai today

JimGrant, yes the required insurance started at 00:01 hrs on the 11 May, which is the day my old extension expired. This Non O-A extension is not a big problem and easy to complete. Just need to show them bank balance (800k) for the required time, letter from bank and insurance certificate. 

1 hour ago, Slugs11 said:

JimGrant, yes the required insurance started at 00:01 hrs on the 11 May, which is the day my old extension expired. This Non O-A extension is not a big problem and easy to complete. Just need to show them bank balance (800k) for the required time, letter from bank and insurance certificate. 

Good to hear, your local IO was easy on that issue.  Some IOs (e.g. CW and CM) refuse to handle your application for a 1-year extension based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement, when your thai IO-approved health-insurance policy data are not yet available on the TGIA database (even though the certificate provided by your insurer is of course also proof that you meet the requirements).

Peter, they called the insurance company, and confirmed the policy.  I am not sure why there is so many difference between the many IO. Have found Ubon very helpful, though they require the paperwork to be perfect.  You get that right, then you get them on your side and willing to help you ????

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 1:04 PM, Slugs11 said:

Mamasun, try LMG insurance. You can find them on the internet easily. They are one of the insurance companies approved by immigration. They will insure up to 75 yrs, without medical or health checks. I took the option of having a 200k excess, meaning I would pay the first 200k on any claim. This keep the cost for insurance low. I only need this insurance to get my Non O-A yearly extension, I have no intention to claim on it. I already have another health insurance, which cover me worldwide.

This is what I received today by Email : What make me ??? is the n1 who said : Standard pemium for the first year only !!!  what does it mean ? its that mean that next year extension (insurance) can be the double of that price premium ?image.png.5a6dbdd1f3e2778dae8dd31bbd7d0229.png

1 hour ago, Mamasun said:

This is what I received today by Email : What make me ??? is the n1 who said : Standard pemium for the first year only !!!  what does it mean ? its that mean that next year extension (insurance) can be the double of that price premium ?image.png.5a6dbdd1f3e2778dae8dd31bbd7d0229.png

At present nobody will be able to answer your question, as these LMG Insurance Long-Stay Visa O-A policies have only recently been put on the market.

But you can contact LMG Insurance and ask them. 

What would also be interesting is to know whether you need to sign up 'indefinitely' when you subscribe to the policy and if so what are the conditions to cancel the policy (e.g. 3 months in advance).

On 4/22/2020 at 6:48 PM, Tarteso said:

I Have health insurance with AIA, at 61 y/o. They increased this month the payment from 4000k to 5000k monthly, Covering 1.000.000 y. (Only impatient). Hope will be enough when renove my Visa ext. ????

I'll think your find they need in and out patient cover

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

I'll think your find they need in and out patient cover

Let’s see next extension visa, but I think you are right.

excuses for “impatient” word ????

6 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

Let’s see next extension visa, but I think you are right.

@colinchaffers is absolutely correct.

IO will only accept your thai IO-approved health-insurance policy when:

1 - the health-insurance policy you subscribed to is from a thai insurer on the TGIA list

2 - the specific policy has been IO-approved

3 - the coverage is at least 400K for in-patient and 40K for out-patient coverage

4 - your insurer has uploaded your policy details on the TGIA website

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 1:02 PM, Ventenio said:

I thought the expression was, "That's highway robbery!"

daylight works.....i'm not sure i've ever heard that one before.  the world is a big place.  

That's quite a popular phrase to be honest. You must be american?

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 7:49 PM, Mamasun said:

All this doesn't ring right for me....such a non sens...how people of 70 or 80 years old can get insure here ? so it mean if all those people who have built their lives here ..have a house ect...suddenly they need to go out and leave Thailand ???

Sorry I don't believe it ! 

I know exactly of wich Visa i was !!! and sorry to deceive you...but I have an health insurance since the first week I arrive in the Kingdom

BUT sorry again i still think ,,,its a misunderstanding !!!

Geez, have you gone all your life being sorry for one thing or another....

At present nobody will be able to answer your question, as these LMG Insurance Long-Stay Visa O-A policies have only recently been put on the market.

But you can contact LMG Insurance and ask them. 

What would also be interesting is to know whether you need to sign up 'indefinitely' when you subscribe to the policy and if so what are the conditions to cancel the policy (e.g. 3 months in advance).

Peter, when I took my insurance out with LMG, it was just a case of paying the 7,700 baht, and received the 1 yr insurance which allowed me to get my Non O-A 1 yr extension. There is no signing up for future yrs, so if next yr the premium goes up, then will shop around for other quotes. Cross that bridge when I get there ????

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2020 at 6:56 PM, BritManToo said:

If he'd paid an agent, the problem would have never appeared.

I didn't think they had those sorts of special "agents" in Chiang Mai.  I thought those special "agents" who could get things done for a price were a fixture in Phuket and Pattaya?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, connda said:

I didn't think they had those sorts of special "agents" in Chiang Mai.  I thought those special "agents" who could get things done for a price were a fixture in Phuket and Pattaya?

There's one next to the petrol station just across the road from immigration.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:
2 hours ago, connda said:

There's one next to the petrol station just across the road from immigration.

The racket there was infamous, before the 'clean up' last year.  Pensioners had to camp out all night in the parking-lot for a que-spot - while agent-apps went it and done in minutes.  A Non-O "change of visa-type" stamp was literally impossible - had to be submitted 21 days before expiration of existing permitted-stay, but the "waiting list" for the appointment assured one could not beat the 21 day cutoff. But, of course, no problem using an agent.

As a result, local-farangs started shopping around, and getting their extensions elsewhere.  The CM office responded by refusing to allow 90-day reports to be submitted from anyone who hadn't run their gauntlet - change of address not allowed.

Recent reports indicate they are using a less brazen routine to 'encourage' agent use, as is common to other offices.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

I have no intention of ever supporting corruption, and that's all the use of agents boils down too.

Sometimes an agent simply does the legwork for you. I would regard that as useful.

• Like 2

As stated in my original post, yesterday was the day I was told I had to return to CM Immigration to complete my extension of stay. Everything went smoothly and health insurance was visible in the database that Immigration had access to.

I also caught up with my golfing buddy who works there and asked about doing my extension early next year. He said that shouldn't be a problem as there is now insurance history in the system. He clarified that anybody on a Non-Imm O-A based on retirement doing their first extension of stay would encounter the same problem as I did, as the TGIA database does not allow the health insurance companies to enter certificates for periods of less than 1 year, so even if you have gap insurance, which I did, Immigration cannot see it in the database and therefore make you come back on the day your permission to stay expires.

I have spoken with senior management at my health insurance company, and also written to them, and they are making representations to TGIA to have this anomaly rectified.

Whilst I was there 2 things occurred that surprised me, 1 good and 1 not so good.

1. Without me asking or providing any extra paperwork or completing a form, my 90 day report ( which was due on Sunday ) was automatically updated for me. I also noticed this was being done for others as well.

2. Social distancing inside the Imm Office was not being enforced. Even though every 2nd seat was marked not to sit there, farangs were ignoring the signs and NOBODY from Immigration was asking them to move, even though they could clearly see they shouldn't have been in those seats.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/24/2020 at 1:06 PM, Mamasun said:

OmG what is that again ?  some months ago i read that insurance was only for the NEW OA visa request abroad....!!!!

And now ? doest it mean that ALL retirement extension need to have health insurance ?

And VOILA...extend my retirement visa today...The IO never ask me for ANY kind of health insurance !!! so now i have 2 insurances for ? mai pen rai///LOL

4 minutes ago, Mamasun said:

And VOILA...extend my retirement visa today...The IO never ask me for ANY kind of health insurance !!! so now i have 2 insurances for ? mai pen rai///LOL

Yes couple of reports coming through.

Which imm office. Think I saw one for Phuket

21 hours ago, Mamasun said:

Retirement extensions based on a Non-Imm-O Visa entry (Permit To Stay) do not, nor have ever, required insurance.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mamasun said:

Who speak about O ??? I am on OA extension...read again OK !!!! 

I read some of your previous posts and did not see your mention of that so made an incorrect assumption, excuse me. I would still tell others that they would or should need insurance to make a retirement extension to an O-A Permission of Stay. Do you have any idea why you have not been required it?

Edited by jacko45k

On 7/23/2020 at 5:50 PM, Mamasun said:

The IO never ask me for ANY kind of health insurance

Maybe he didn't have to ask, as supposedly they log into the TGIA (Thai insurance) to check your bonafides....