Rabies discovered in Khon Kaen

snoop1130

Rabies discovered in Khon Kaen

By The Nation

800_f1cb6a6c0ca08cc.jpg

Khon Kaen Governor Somsak Jungtrakul said on Wednesday (April 22) that rabid dogs had been discovered in a community of the northeastern province.

The governor has declared a temporary zone of animal contagion and ordered a month of special measures to deal with the outbreak.

The five cases of canine rabies were found in Nong Yai 1 community. Three of the infected dogs had previously been vaccinated against the disease while one had not. The other dog is already dead. The four dogs are now being quarantined for 10 days.

Officials have been ordered to implement measures to deal with the outbreak until May 15. There is no record of humans being bitten by the infected dogs, but one woman has had contact with the animals. She was told to get a rabies vaccination.

This week the Provincial Livestock Office is vaccinating all at-risk animals within a one-kilometre radius of Nong Yai 1 community to control the outbreak.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386570

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-22

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

If you live in or visit rural (non-Bangkok) Thailand, then get a rabies vaccination - and avoid all mammals.  Some people, like me, come from countries where there is no rabies, and we dont realise the danger that animals can pose.  As the story said, some dogs had rabies but were showing no symptoms - carriers. 

The following animals can get/transmit rabies and are in Thailand:  Bats, Cats, Cattle, Dogs, Horses, Monkeys, Rabbits.

Most cases are from dogs, but some deaths are also caused by rabies from other sources. In Australia 3 people have been infected by a rabies strain from bats (all died). I am beginning to hate bats.

"Any bites by such wild animals must be considered a possible exposure to the rabies virus"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies_in_animals#Other_mammals

• Like 2

Khon Kaen must be a disease " Hot Spot " for Animals

Late last year there was Foot and Mouth, now African Horse Disease and Rabies.

The really scary thing, is that three of these Mutts with Rabies had previously been vaccinated.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

If you live in or visit rural (non-Bangkok) Thailand, then get a rabies vaccination - and avoid all mammals.  Some people, like me, come from countries where there is no rabies, and we dont realise the danger that animals can pose.  As the story said, some dogs had rabies but were showing no symptoms - carriers. 

The following animals can get/transmit rabies and are in Thailand:  Bats, Cats, Cattle, Dogs, Horses, Monkeys, Rabbits.

Most cases are from dogs, but some deaths are also caused by rabies from other sources. In Australia 3 people have been infected by a rabies strain from bats (all died). I am beginning to hate bats.

"Any bites by such wild animals must be considered a possible exposure to the rabies virus"

You cannot get a rabies vaccination as a prevention.

You are getting rabies shots after you are bitten (day 1, 3, 7, 14, 28). And it acts as a treatment only for this particular bite. Some internet sources claim, that after these shots you have 6 months immunity. But while I was getting these shots I asked my doctor (in Thailand) what happens if I get bitten again, like next week or next month. And he told me, that we will start all the shots from the start. But this time not all 5 shots, but only 3.

In Thailand I already went through the process 3 times. On top of that they are also giving you a tetanus shots after each bite. The whole course (5 anti-rabies shots + tetanus) costs 3 000 - 5 000 Baht (in public hospital). 

So you can't get vaccinated in advance. Only after you are bitten.

Edited by AndyAndyAndy

23 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

The really scary thing, is that three of these Mutts with Rabies had previously been vaccinated.

Bring back the dog-wagons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

You are getting rabies shots after you are bitten (day 1, 3, 7, 14, 28). And it acts as a treatment only for this particular bite. Some internet sources claim, that after these shots you have 6 months immunity. But while I was getting these shots I asked my doctor (in Thailand) what happens if I get bitten again, like next week or next month. And he told me, that we will start all the shots from the start. But this time not all 5 shots, but only 3.

In Thailand I already went through the process 3 times. On top of that they are also giving you a tetanus shots after each bite. The whole course (5 anti-rabies shots + tetanus) costs 3 000 - 5 000 Baht (in public hospital). 

Wrong. - I got vaccinated in advance many times because of working overseas. Used to have a special vaccination card with details of vaccine batch and dates administered. Do remember these injections were very expensive, but paid for by my company, who insisted we have them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kidneyw said:

Wrong. - I got vaccinated in advance many times because of working overseas. Used to have a special vaccination card with details of vaccine batch and dates administered. Do remember these injections were very expensive, but paid for by my company, who insisted we have them.

Wrong.

You can get rabies vaccination in advance (whole 5 series). But after you get bitten you will still need boosters, as I said.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AussieBob18 said:

Meanwhile, in other news, Chicken Little says the sky is falling in.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

I'm sure Smith & Wesson could clear this problem rather quickly......!!

Them, Smith & Wesson, Ain't allowed to Interfere With Dogs or for that matter with Any Animal .They are more commonly involved with People. That seems to be More Appropriate.  :wai:

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

When street dogs are vaccinated they don't get the full dose

Usually 1 shot shared with 3 dogs

4 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

You are sort of correct. But you can get a rabies 'vaccine' - it is just not a total cure. You still have to get a rabies shot again if you are bitten (saliva in face/mouth/wound).  What the rabies vaccine does is prevent severe reaction when/if bitten.  I went the full course years ago in Australia - but I was also warned that if I do get bitten, that I must still get the rabies shot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies_vaccine

2 hours ago, nahkit said:

Meanwhile, in other news, Chicken Little says the sky is falling in.

Dont screw around with rabies mate. Unlike Covid - Rabies is very much a death sentence to anyone not vaccinated (and even to some who are).