Summer storms wreak havoc in Phetchabun - power cuts, lamp posts crash onto vehicles

webfact

Summer storms wreak havoc in Phetchabun - power cuts, lamp posts crash onto vehicles

4pm.jpg
Pictures: 77kaoded

Many cars and motorcycles were damaged after about 10 lamp posts came crashing down in a violent summer storm in Petchabun province in Thailand's north east. 

Worst hit was an area of Route 1175 near the Bo Rang market in Wichianburi. 

A child who was in one of the vehicles had a lucky brush with death. The child was taken to hospital with a minor head injury. 

77kaoded reported that dozens of roofs blew off properties in the area that experienced power cuts. 

Source: 77kaoded

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Just down the road from us  ( 10 k ) and yet although we could see it in the distance where we are it was no big deal , just a mild storm.

Not sure where you are Denim,i am about 1 km out from the chicken temple in WIchianburi, {easterly direction]had a hell of a lot of wind and about an inch of rain,would not be surprised if we get a repeat this arvo,just heard thunder,getting dark to s.e.

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Just down the road from us  ( 10 k ) and yet although we could see it in the distance where we are it was no big deal , just a mild storm.

same here 20k south of  Phetchabun town.

15 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Not sure where you are Denim,i am about 1 km out from the chicken temple in WIchianburi, {easterly direction]had a hell of a lot of wind and about an inch of rain,would not be surprised if we get a repeat this arvo,just heard thunder,getting dark to s.e.

I stood on our balcony near Sahm Yaik  Wichien Buri watching you cop it over yonder. 

As I said and Charlie H found , the worst of it must have been fairly local because apart from a few gusts and moderate rainfall for 45 minutes it didn't do much here apart from getting the dogs filthy dirty. So dirty that my wife wouldn't let fatty into the living room to watch TV as he likes to do.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

The steel reo they put in some of those poles is very small for the length and weight of the poles so they can snap fairly easily. But it must have been one hell of a storm to break them.

It only needs one of the poles to break and, hey, the Domino effect.