after july 31

OP, as post #2 points out, that won't happen. Assuming borders gradually open, there will be the "live in los group on visa exempt" leaving it till last minute to do border bounce in order to maximize the free ticket.

Would be foolish to milk that to the limit, namely July 31.

When borders open folk should obtain suitable stamp that suits their situation.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It doesn't mean that at all.  The are working on the assumption that by 31 July the borders will have re-opened and departing flights operating, so most people will have been able to go home, or do their border run.

If by June borders are still closed and people cannot leave, it will have to be extended again.  

exactly. 

July 31 is for the stragglers. they would hope most people would have already been able to leave the country before that. expect international arrivals in mid may. 

• Like 2

Just now, at15 said:

exactly. 

July 31 is for the stragglers. they would hope most people would have already been able to leave the country before that. expect international arrivals in mid may. 

From where? Spain, Italy, UK, USA, list goes on. 

My country OZ just repatriated 800 au citizens from India. They are currently in designated hotel under quarantine with hotel AND state police 24 hour control lockdown.

Thailand is struggling with the 8000 Thai they are trying to cross from Malaysian border. Limit 200 per day. 

Which all have to be isolated.

Dream on fella

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

From where? Spain, Italy, UK, USA, list goes on. 

My country OZ just repatriated 800 au citizens from India. They are currently in designated hotel under quarantine with hotel AND state police 24 hour control lockdown.

Thailand is struggling with the 8000 Thai they are trying to cross from Malaysian border. Limit 200 per day. 

Which all have to be isolated.

Dream on fella

Not from Europe and America. SEA countries with China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, etc

Even today at swampy we had flights land from Xian, Zhengzhou, Singapore, Seoul, Okinawa, Hong Kong, Siem Reap.

Edited by at15
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There will not be vaccine for minimum 1 year. My guess 18 month +

I believe 18 months is the average expectation. Outliers would be an effective vaccine within nine months from now (5% chance) and no effective vaccine after five years (10%). There is optimism that a vaccine will be possible, but caution is warranted. Remember that there is no effective vaccine today for another virus (HIV) in spite of over 30 years of research and attempts to create one.

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Remember that there is no effective vaccine today for another virus (HIV) in spite of over 30 years of research and attempts to create one.

I didn't realize there never was a vaccine for HIV, though I believe HIV infection rates have dropped immensely over the past decade.

So why is that if there is no vaccine?

51 minutes ago, Susco said:

I didn't realize there never was a vaccine for HIV, though I believe HIV infection rates have dropped immensely over the past decade.

That's an interesting question. HIV is not an airborne disease. It's transmitted by now well known high risk behaviors. So without looking this up, here is my guess. I may well be wrong! It would be easier just to look it up but this is more fun.

Most people know now to use condoms for high risk sex acts

People know they shouldn't needle share

Most people that were doing a lot of high risk behaviors either already caught it or are dead

HIV is treated now with very effective treatments similarly to any other chronic disease like diabetes. People with HIV these days usually end up dying of something else.

While there isn't a vaccine and there isn't a cure there is something called PREP (Truvada). Many people in high risk groups that take that and it is highly effective in preventing getting infected.

Because of all of the above there are fewer people infected to potentially infect others.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

The main reason for the drop in HIV infection rates is that there are antiviral treatments for those that are infected that reduce levels of the virus to very low levels within the body in most cases. People who are infected stop being able to pass on their infections to others.

EDIT: In fact, there are still many, many people living with HIV, and lots of people are still newly infected each year. It is now seen as less critical because of effective treatment options. HIV infection is no longer a death sentence.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

The main reason for the drop in HIV infection rates is that there are antiviral treatments for those that are infected that reduce levels of the virus to very low levels within the body in most cases. People who are infected stop being able to pass on their infections to others.

EDIT: In fact, there are still many, many people living with HIV, and lots of people are still newly infected each year. It is now seen as less critical because of effective treatment options. HIV infection is no longer a death sentence.

And a drug called PREP, that people take, even though they dont have it. It blocks infection from the potential of it being transmitted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That happened the first time but not anymore.

Yes. My comment was tongue in cheek.

I think there is something like 8000 Thai nationals intending to enter from Malaysian borders. 200 per day limit? Is that true.

Just can't imagine how even the Thai can be quarantined for 14 day.

Back to the OP. Personally I can't foresee opening of borders to non Thai any time soonish.

Edited by DrJack54

32 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I think there is something like 8000 Thai nationals intending to enter from Malaysian borders. 200 per day limit?

It was a high number but I don't remember it being that high. It is 200 per day at each crossing.

16 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It doesn't mean that at all.  The are working on the assumption that by 31 July the borders will have re-opened and departing flights operating, so most people will have been able to go home, or do their border run.

If by June borders are still closed and people cannot leave, it will have to be extended again.  

Be careful folks, that is purely a personal opinion and not the law as it stands.  The group that has not been mentioned here are the "Over 50 years of age group on Retirement Visa" who need to extend after one year and to do 90 days Reporting.  Hopefully that will be covered in due course, once the Authorities have worked out a system so that there is not a "log-jam" at the Immigration Offices on 31 July.  Watch this space! 

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

Be careful folks, that is purely a personal opinion and not the law as it stands.  The group that has not been mentioned here are the "Over 50 years of age group on Retirement Visa" who need to extend after one year and to do 90 days Reporting.  Hopefully that will be covered in due course, once the Authorities have worked out a system so that there is not a "log-jam" at the Immigration Offices on 31 July.  Watch this space! 

Why mention a group that are only affected tangentially? Those who have their annual extension expiring soon can renew without problem.  In fact, many report offices to be very very quiet and renewal even more of a doddle than normal.  90 day reports can be done online using app or website, or by post, or in person.  Again, not a problem.

The very last thing anyone on a "retirement visa" (sic) should do is wait until the end of the amnesty and try to renew immediately thereafter.

PH

Edited by Phulublub
speeling errops
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robertson468 said:

You are wrong, There is no such visa as the one that you have stated. There is only the Non-Imm "O-A" Retirement visa which is a 1 year visa obtained in your home country which you can extend at your local IO and the 90 day Non-Imm "O" visa which you can extend at your local IO on the bases of marriage or retirement. They are not covered by this amnesty because they can go and renew or apply for their extension at the local IO as normal. This amnesty only covers those that have a 30/60/90 day visa or a permission to stay stamp (not an extension stamp) in their passport and must leave the country and cannot because the borders are closed. There will be no log-jam at the IO's because this amnesty is only for those that must leave the country. Those that are on extensions based on marriage or retirement must renew their extensions as normal, the only thing that has changed for them is an amnesty on doing their 90 day reports in person at their local IO 

Edited by Russell17au
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Susco said:

Because there is a medicine controling the virus so it doesn't kill people anymore but they are still infected .

18 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I would also expect an Immigration announcement in June to the effect that, "now the borders are open and people can leave, they should do so before their extension expires on 31 July, or be on overstay".

I would imagine that may be hard if your country still has an incoming flight ban or the planes in that country are still furloughed 

I think the OP was referring to the resident expats who need to do 90-day reporting, as well as renew their annual extension.

Currently those who should report their 90-day do not need to until 31st July.

Friday 1st August and Monday 4th (also Wednesday 6th) are both holidays, with the weekend in between.So the first viable day to report will be Tuesday 5th August.

18 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I would also expect an Immigration announcement in June to the effect that, "now the borders are open and people can leave, they should do so before their extension expires on 31 July, or be on overstay".

No, that won't happen. If there's an amnesty until July 31, there will be enough time for everybody to leave after that. They might give you 30 days to leave the country. It's 7 days for people from neighbouring countries.

19 hours ago, at15 said:

exactly. 

What about someone who is due to make a 90 day report, ie 22nd May, he therefor does not go, so then he goes 90 days later sometime in August. I suppose that will be too simple for Thai immigration.

4 hours ago, robertson468 said:

If you bothered to read the posts you'd understand that the position for those on retirement extensions is perfectly clear.  You renew your extension of stay when it expires, as there is no requirement for you to leave Thailand to do this.  You don't have to do your 90 day reports, until 31 July, although there's nothing stopping you doing them if you want to.  Hope this is clear now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

No, that won't happen. If there's an amnesty until July 31, there will be enough time for everybody to leave after that. They might give you 30 days to leave the country. It's 7 days for people from neighbouring countries.

Well that would involve stamping in everyone still here for another 7 or 30 days.  The amnesty is until 31 July.  If the borders are open and flights leaving, they will give notice a few weeks before, and expect people to leave by 31 July.  The last thing they want is everyone having to go to Immigration again.