Plans to open more labs for testing Covid-19

snoop1130

Plans to open more labs for testing Covid-19

By The Nation

800_16b8964a191f2e5.jpg

Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA), said on Friday (April 24) that the number of patients under investigation (PUI) has risen significantly since April 7 due to a change in criteria.

According to the Public Health Ministry, there have been 47,786 PUI since March 1, with 2,839 persons or 5.94 percent testing positive before April 7. However, as soon as the criteria was changed, the numbers increased significantly, with up to 19,010 people being listed as PUI and 619 or 3.26 percent confirmed to be positive.

Also, the laboratories are now capable of conducting more polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests, which can result in more cases being identified. Taweesin said labs in Bangkok should be able to conduct 10,000 tests per day or around 835 tests per area on average.

However, in reality, only 2,000 tests are conducted across the nation due to a lack of test materials.

Meanwhile, the Public Health Ministry has verified 123 laboratories for Covid-19 tests and aims to open more state and privately-owned labs in different parts of the country.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386720

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-24

• Thanks 1

However, in reality, only 2,000 tests are conducted across the nation due to a lack of test materials.

Thank you. So that's why the UNICEF donation, etc. Now that wasn't so hard, was it?

Keep 'em numbers coming. Especially the exact numbers from the reference laboratories that may result in the "Confirmed" status.

The change in PUI criteria...

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/g_srrt.php

April 7: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/file/g_srrt/g_srrt_070463n.pdf

April 3: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/file/g_srrt/g_srrt_030463.pdf

The largest change is in section 3, now "Everybody" is allowed in the subcriteria.

The English translation is old, from 2. March: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/G_PUIdefinition.pdf

EDIT: Ok, having trawled through that, it looks like you can now finally get to be a PUI by simply showing symptoms in a hospital, without subclauses. About time.

EDIT2: By combining the old English translation and the new PUI criteria, I find the following criteria now in force to become a PUI:

Body temperature > 37.5 °C or more or history of fever OR

any of the following respiratory symptoms: cough, runny nose, sore throat, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing OR

having pneumonia

Now it starts to make sense. 

Edited by DrTuner

3.26% testing positive. Ok, so how many have two reference labs tested to get those? Today 15 confirmed, so ..

15/0.0326 = about 460/d.

If they hit peak capacity of 2k/d tests, assuming all were done in reference labs, with the same type of PUI criteria, the max confirmations per day they can get is about 60 people. They got a bit more before because the PUI criteria caused a higher positive percentage of 5.94%.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Thanks 1

that sums up what smart people have been saying on here for weeks

there is no effective testing going on so the released data is useless - by the time they got near to test any of these so called PUI they had either recovered or died so again were not tested

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DrTuner said:

If they hit peak capacity of 2k/d tests, assuming all were done in reference labs, with the same type of PUI criteria, the max confirmations per day they can get is about 60 people. They got a bit more before because the PUI criteria caused a higher positive percentage of 5.94%.

Is this the same inaccurate "test" that they have been using all along?

As I understand it there is no specific test for CV 19, fail to see what good all the testing is doing apart from fear mongering and giving yet more reasons for the "war on commerce" we know who will win that "war"

The long term implications are beyond understanding, there are more suicides daily now than deaths from the "virus"

5 hours ago, CGW said:

Is this the same inaccurate "test" that they have been using all along?

Yes, it's the RT-PCR. It does give false negatives, I know of one in Finland that had a negative result first and four days later positive, all the time having symptoms. 

I've yet to see antibody tests being used at all in Thailand. I know some hospitals advertised them, but are they in fact in use? The PTT/MIT/etc test seems to have disappeared into the black hole of Thai press releases.

The point of mass testing is to get an accurate view of the situation so policy decisions can be based on the real situation. Otherwise it's just trial & error and dumb luck.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The point of mass testing is to get an accurate view of the situation so policy decisions can be based on the real situation. Otherwise it's just trial & error and dumb luck.

From what I have read we would be better off relying on "dumb luck" than inaccurate tests that get blown out of all proportion by a corrupt media.

Least no one dies of natural cause's, heart disease or respiratory illness anymore though, thanks to the wonders of "testing"

Meanwhile, society is devastated - while the war on commerce continues!

Edited by CGW
causce's

11 minutes ago, CGW said:

From what I have read we would be better off relying on "dumb luck" than inaccurate tests that get blown out of all proportion by a corrupt media.

Possibly. That's why I've been yapping since January about what is the actual capacity for tests in Thailand, what are they using where and so on. I want accurate, transparent and detailed data so I can make my own analysis. I know, impossible here, unless they start to release anonymized raw data straight from the labs. Ain't going to happen.

BTW, on April 4th, all (or at least nearly, not sure about the privates) the RT-PCR tests that were mentioned in the leaked memo were in Bangkok:

NIH, Siriraj, some private hospitals, BIDI, Chula, MoPH medical sciences and Mahidol. Not really a surprise as Thailand is very BKK-centric.

Which means vast majority, if not all, of the RT-PCR tests that were done, were done in Bangkok. It does beg the question how many samples were taken outside Bangkok and shipped there in the viral containers in time for the sample to still be viable to be tested. With the backlog as long as it was, some samples must've become unviable.

And also, would they really ship reagents to the sticks if they are in short supply?

It doesn't much matter if the Department of Medical Sciences certifies more labs ( https://www3.dmsc.moph.go.th/post-view/761 ), if they don't have the raw materials to do the tests.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Possibly. That's why I've been yapping since January about what is the actual capacity for tests in Thailand, what are they using where and so on. I want accurate, transparent and detailed data so I can make my own analysis. I know, impossible here, unless they start to release anonymized raw data straight from the labs. Ain't going to happen.

You answer your own question, you will never get the truth! the MSM is corrupted as is the "government" etc, etc... 

The Chinese have been directing Thai response/events and now the main "agenda" is being played out, either "hijacked" or by design.

The devastation this has caused and will further be responsible for is unprecedented, more lives are being lost due to the shutdown than any amount of testing will preserve.

1 hour ago, CGW said:

You answer your own question, you will never get the truth!

I know what you're saying, I see it and I understand and I respectfully object. I get accused of being pessimist a lot, but I bluntly refuse to believe humankind is unable to get to the bottom of it. That's optimism 101. It just takes hard work and perseverance.

Information is power. Google it.

8 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I get accused of being pessimist a lot

I don't see why? I think you are being extremely optimistic, if we lived in a fair and just world I 100% agree that the truth would surface, we don't (IMO) far from it, there are too many alternative agenda's running the course now for the "truth" to come out. Those that control "Humankind" fate oppose you, they have other plans!

If the real truth did ever come out along with the objectives, the world would be in a better place, I l for one live in hope.

Keep digging, you have come up with some gems so far. ????

On 4/24/2020 at 1:22 AM, DrTuner said:

Dr Plipat in his interview said 1-2/1000 and complained it was not cost effective. Righto.

Different criteria: 3% of symptomatic people, 0.1-0.2% of asymptomatic. Likely somewhere in between for marginally symptomatic.

If you can only test 20,000 people per day (soon), you would rather use those tests with higher probability.

11 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

Different criteria: 3% of symptomatic people, 0.1-0.2% of asymptomatic. Likely somewhere in between for marginally symptomatic.

I have to watch the video again, I don't remember him talking about asymptomatics. Maybe there's a software that does transcripts.