Saliva tests found to be effective for Covid-19

rooster59

Saliva tests found to be effective for Covid-19

By THE NATION

800_53b70363b776455.jpg

Ramathibodi Hospital has learned tests on suspected persons’ saliva for Covid-19 is as precise as tests using secretions from the nose or throat, public health officials announced on Friday (April 24).

The new system of saliva test is being developed at the Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute, the announcement by Department of Disease Control director-general Dr Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoen, Department of Medical Science director-general Dr Opas Kankawinpong and the institute’s chief said.

They added saliva test is accepted in several countries, and is a cheap, consistent method of collecting samples. Also, it is a safer method and medics do not need to use personal protective equipment, they said.

The Public Health Ministry will use saliva tests for asymptomatic persons in slums and at border checkpoints.

However, patients under investigation (PUI) will still have to undergo more detailed tests.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386731

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-25

• Like 1

10 hours ago, torturedsole said:

That can be arranged, for a fee, sirineou. ????

10 hours ago, torturedsole said:

That can be arranged, for a fee, sirineou. ????

Sirineou don't pay torturedsole to spit on you the Chinese will be back soon they will do it for free.

13 hours ago, rooster59 said:

However, patients under investigation (PUI) will still have to undergo more detailed tests.

So it is confirmed. To officially have the virus you have to be positive in a number of tests, not just test positive once from a single test.

I wonder how many of the PUI actually have tested positive, have the virus but do not have confirmed status because they have to undergo more tests?

One wonders if they are selectively testing those only with aggressive symptoms, as the number suggest.

• Like 1

Well the sampling method is at least nicer, no need to stick the swab all the way to the back of the skull, instead have a couple of good back and forths in the throat and hack out a chinese-style football sized ball of spit.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yadon Toploy said:

I wonder how many of the PUI actually have tested positive, have the virus but do not have confirmed status because they have to undergo more tests?

MoPH is not telling, except giving the actual definition, it's called "Probable case".

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/G_en_21022020.pdf

2. Probable case is defined as a PUI who has tested positive for genetic materials of SARS-CoV-2 by
PCR from one (1) reference laboratory, or by genetic sequencing, or by culture

I'd venture to guess if somebody is probable and another sample needs to be taken to be sent out for another test in another lab to confirm it, that sample won't be at the front of the queue, as it's not high priority to confirm something that's already being taken care of. So, there's probably quite a few of them.

Edited by DrTuner

2 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

So you've had the test.  What was the result?  They're also highly unreliable so I assume you've taken at least three tests?

yes I have, only because I had a sore throat and a runny nose, but I am in the age group

which is mostly affected.

25 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Have you got a spare £400 for a C19 test that's as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike to try it for the benefit of mankind?

I'd gladly buy a box of test kits for 400 GBP a pop if they were available. They are not, the Thai goverment is able to procure enough resources for 2k per day. It's not a surprise, it's the same as the masks, the supply just isn't there.

9 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

So it is confirmed. To officially have the virus you have to be positive in a number of tests, not just test positive once from a single test.

One wonders if they are selectively testing those only with aggressive symptoms, as the number suggest.

I would think that the PUIs are those in the quarantine camps having arrived in the

last few weeks from abroad, and those who have had contact with people who

have been confirmed to have the virus.

Plus, of course, those with classic symptoms.