Thailand reports 53 new coronavirus cases, one new death

rooster59

3 hours ago, jimn said:

Yes just to add before the usual people get on their soapbox.

53 new cases today. However, despite the apparent leap, 42 of the cases are foreigners at an Immigration Detention Center at the Sadao Malaysian/Thai border checkpoint which was previously closed several days ago after an Immigration officer tested positive. The entire center is being tested and quarantined, including staff.

See the post under yours! Additional visa extensions and no need for 90 day reporting to ease congestion at Immigration Offices, where media coverage showing the "social distancing" being non - existent forced the Government/Immigration into action. 

However, your point about 42 cases out of 53 being "foreigners" is duly noted, and I wonder how many other IDC's are under investigation? You could probably open a real can of worms there - just look at how many "foreigners" you could blame for spreading the virus!

Edited by sambum
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Thailand has its very own way to deal with crisis, and somehow emerge on top of it.

Remember the children locked in the cave not so long ago.

For some time, it looked like a circus over there, and yet in the end they got the perfect score...and luck had nothing to do with it...they just made the right decisions when it mattered...

I am often hesitate to heap praise on the Thai army, but they seem to have got it right this time, and kudos to them for that. Also, the medical system here is good, and there are alot of very dedicated doctors and nurses, and they do not seem constrained by the insane, and highly ineffective CDC, FDA, and WHO protocols, which do not seem to be particularly effective for Covid-19. This strain requires imagination, open mindedness, willingness to try new things, and willingness to completely abandon protocols which are killing people, such as the insane misuse of ventilators, resulting in morbidity of up to 90%.

What is the very definition of stupidity and convention? Continuing to do something that fails nearly every time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Agreed.Still a long way to go in this saga.I think it maybe more virulent but otherwise similar in many ways to the flu which may have caused similar outcomes as the Spanish flu did,which looks like leaving C19 for dead so to speak as that flu killed many healthy younger people without comorbidity issues so I can't really go with the idea that the flu isn't or can't be worse than C19 especially where numbers of deaths is concerned.I really don't get the argument that C19 is worse than the flu when there is empirical  evidence to the contrary.Sure C19 may be worse than some flues but not all of them.  

Bear in mind, of course, that the 1918 flu outbreak lasted until late 1920 - nearly 2 years. Covid19 has been around for about 4 months. The 1918 outbreak went crazy after about 8 months with a second, far more powerful round. Covid 19 has been around for about 4 months. Come back in 16 months time and then do the comparison when a comparison can be properly made.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lks7689 said:

You choose what you want to believe. Until this virus actually infected you, it won't change your perspective. For every doctor like him, there are dozens elsewhere fighting in the hot zones staring at deaths almost every minute. Why don't you refer those videos here?

Can you post a link to a video of doctors staring at new deaths every minute,even one a few minutes long?It would go a long way to supporting you argument.

4 hours ago, jimn said:

Yes just to add before the usual people get on their soapbox.

53 new cases today. However, despite the apparent leap, 42 of the cases are foreigners at an Immigration Detention Center at the Sadao Malaysian/Thai border checkpoint which was previously closed several days ago after an Immigration officer tested positive. The entire center is being tested and quarantined, including staff.

So in actual fact there are only 11 new cases as those were suspect anyhow and quarantined. So, case numbers still coming down.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, jimn said:

I understand what you are saying however these are illegal migrants from Malaysia. Thailand on the face of it does not have a large Covid 19 problem, Malaysia does. Basically what I am saying is if they hadn't come here illegally then the numbers would be against Malaysia not Thailand. Yes I know the virus isn't going anywhere just yet.

Just seems weird to add status to differentiation for medical/public health concerns. 

So, by this logic...even though I have physically been located in Thailand since the beginning of February, if I now in March mess up my paperwork/reporting/whatever for my current visa and end up, let's say, a week in overstay...then I find out I am C-19 positive, would we not count that against Thailand since hypothetically if someone would have caught my out-of-status status and deported me, my infection would have been caught while I was physically located somewhere else? Would I be classified as an imported case and not one of the former two categories (connected to known case or not)?

14 minutes ago, pookiki said:

prefer to promote 'minority' opinions of doctors with far less experience than those who know much more.

And who would those be? 

Professor Raoult, the highest authority in the world (check the rankings... for Fauci, look at the bottom of the list) supports what these two doctors say. 

There is complete disagreement between those who are actually trying to cure patients on the frontlines, and those who pontificate from the comfort of their office, before going to lunch with their big pharma buddies... 

4 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Bear in mind, of course, that the 1918 flu outbreak lasted until late 1920 - nearly 2 years. Covid19 has been around for about 4 months. The 1918 outbreak went crazy after about 8 months with a second, far more powerful round. Covid 19 has been around for about 4 months. Come back in 16 months time and then do the comparison when a comparison can be properly made.

Agreed it's still early days and they say sars cov 2 doesn't mutate as quickly as the flu viruses which may also have contributed to the Spanish flu pandemic (then again it may not have)

Also the current death toll for C19 is about 200,000 if you multiply that by 10 (four month periods) of the Spanish Flu pandemic you get 2 million deaths which would still fall way short of the Spanish Flu pandemic which is something else to bear in mind if you will.

3 hours ago, jimn said:

Nothing like it. The migrant workers in Singapore with workers inside Singapore in their camps. These are Migrants in a detention centre who has been out of Thailand.

But no doubt the cause is the same. Migrant workers crammed together in abominable conditions. Perfect conditions for the spread of the virus.

12 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

So in actual fact there are only 11 new cases as those were suspect anyhow and quarantined. So, case numbers still coming down.

No,they went up to 53.That means at the moment you are diddling the numbers to suit your argument.

• Like 2

Off topic posts and replies have been removed.  This topic is about:

Thailand reports 53 new coronavirus cases, one new death

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand reported 53 new coronavirus cases and the death of a 48-year-old Thai man who was infected with the virus along with four other family members.

Of the new cases, three were linked to previous cases, one had no known links, and 42 are migrant workers who have been under quarantine at an immigration detention centre in the southern province of Songkhla.

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

But Sweden decided to let it run its course as they calculated the population death rate is low against the idea of trashing their entire economy... Sound familiar? 

Yeah. It's a dangereous game if you don't have the capability to test to see if the theory is panning out or not. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ranshoko said:

This news is a kick in the ball!s to all here proclaiming Thailand is over reacting. There's a long way to go yet. If you don't like wearing masks in public then tough - take the consequences .......

'Thailand has reported a total of 2,907 cases and 51 deaths'

Population of Thailand: 69,430,000

The consequences appear to be next to nothing.

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Agreed.Still a long way to go in this saga.I think it maybe more virulent but otherwise similar in many ways to the flu which may have caused similar outcomes as the Spanish flu did,which looks like leaving C19 for dead so to speak as that flu killed many healthy younger people without comorbidity issues so I can't really go with the idea that the flu isn't or can't be worse than C19 especially where numbers of deaths is concerned.I really don't get the argument that C19 is worse than the flu when there is empirical  evidence to the contrary.Sure C19 may be worse than some flues but not all of them.  

Since you mentioned the Spanish flu .. one of the theories is, it too originated in China and mutated in US/Europe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu#China

It was the second wave that was devastating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu#Deadly_second_wave

The second wave of the 1918 pandemic was much more deadly than the first. The first wave had resembled typical flu epidemics; those most at risk were the sick and elderly, while younger, healthier people recovered easily. By August, when the second wave began in France, Sierra Leone, and the United States,[102] the virus had mutated to a much more deadly form. October 1918 was the month with the highest fatality rate of the whole pandemic.[103]

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

No,they went up to 53.That means at the moment you are diddling the numbers to suit your argument.

Right. This is the effect of calling most of the cases "imported." Really there were simply 53 new reported cases in Thailand today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Yeah. It's a dangerous game if you don't have the capability to test to see if the theory is panning out or not. 

You have to chose between two dangerous games, one with an uncertain ending, and one with a certain ending.

In the first game, you might end up losing maybe one or two percents of your population, mostly among the elderlies.

In the second game, you might keep more of your elderlies, but you lose your economy.

Now the choice is yours...

1 minute ago, Brunolem said:

You have to chose between two dangerous games, one with an uncertain ending, and one with a certain ending.

In the first game, you might end up losing maybe one or two percents of your population, mostly among the elderlies.

In the second game, you might keep more of your elderlies, but you lose your economy.

Now the choice is yours...

And since regimes go down when economy turns bad and they are the policy makers .. make sure you keep in touch with your grannies before it's too late.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Thanks. 

Please don't read this and think you have a cure or effective vaccine. There is a factual link between a healthy, balanced diet and a healthy immune system. That is as far as this goes. Someone who is healthy, exercises regularly, has a good diet is going to respond to a sickness better then, well the reverse. However it is not a vaccine or even medication. There is no effective treatment or vaccine yet, that is why so many are losing their lives. If it was as simple as chomping down on some vitamins I think we would not be trashing the global economy right now...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

And who would those be? 

Professor Raoult, the highest authority in the world (check the rankings... for Fauci, look at the bottom of the list) supports what these two doctors say. 

There is complete disagreement between those who are actually trying to cure patients on the frontlines, and those who pontificate from the comfort of their office, before going to lunch with their big pharma buddies... 

You quote one expert among how many? Who is Raoult, for what organization does he work and what are his credentials. If one were to 'poll' the doctors on the 'frontline' as you say, I doubt that this would be the majority view by any extent. I also believe that if a person had the time to review the stats presented in the interview, one would find them very suspect.  Buy hey, go out and get infected, I won't stop you.  Break the curfew in a demonstration of your beliefs.  Get thrown into jail where you will stand a good chance of being infected.  Then refuse treatment in the name of herd immunity. Where your orange sticker with pride wherever you go. Just make sure you don't infect others who are innocent bystanders.

26 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Just seems weird to add status to differentiation for medical/public health concerns. 

So, by this logic...even though I have physically been located in Thailand since the beginning of February, if I now in March mess up my paperwork/reporting/whatever for my current visa and end up, let's say, a week in overstay...then I find out I am C-19 positive, would we not count that against Thailand since hypothetically if someone would have caught my out-of-status status and deported me, my infection would have been caught while I was physically located somewhere else? Would I be classified as an imported case and not one of the former two categories (connected to known case or not)?

Yes you are correct, however I think this cluster in this detention centre is a 1 off. If previous days are anything to go by, the numbers will be down to low teens again or even single figures.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Someone who is healthy, exercises regularly, has a good diet is going to respond to a sickness better then, well the reverse. However it is not a vaccine or even medication. 

One more thing I'd like to add, for a healthy lifestyle and it's benefits one should have been onboard for years before the pandemic. Nothing wrong with getting healthy now while waiting for the next one, it's a good idea anyway, but it's a bit too late to hit the gym now for this one - and in most places you can't.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, brain150 said:

3,000 cases in 65,000,000 is simply NOT a pandemic !

50 people dying is sad but nothing unusual !

... the Pandemic is FAKE !!! 

There is nothing unusual dangerous about Corona compared to any other disease.

The only difference is that everybody goes completely insane about it !

Maybe it would have become a pandemic if strict restrictions were not put in place according to this statement:

"Without implementing strategies like lockdowns to reduce the spread of the novel coronavirus, there would have been 7 billion infections and 40 million deaths in 2020 alone, according to a report published Thursday from researchers at the Imperial College of London."