Foreigners caught on Pattaya beach face year in jail or heavy fines, says police chief

rooster59

Foreigners caught on Pattaya beach face year in jail or heavy fines, says police chief

93159593_3124013714286208_2127450309918720000_o.jpg

Image: Sophon Cable TV

The chief of police in Pattaya has said that both Thais and foreigners were among people arrested for violating the ban on congregating at the beach, in contravention of the Chonburi governor's order.

Since the 2nd of April Pol Col Khemmarin Phitsamai said that 23 people have been arrested and processed. Some have received jail terms from the court without suspension (meaning they are serving time).

94119704_3124013744286205_2088894225293770752_o.jpg

He did not say if foreigners were among this group but they were among the 23 arrests.

The maximum fine is one year in jail and/or a fine of 100,000 baht.

Chief Khemmarin said that most of the arrests were people in drinking groups at the beach at sunset.

Others will face charges for defying the curfew for which the jail time is 2 years but fine only 40,000 baht.

Khemmarin told Sophon Cable TV that Pattaya was a beautiful, environmental place but the public had to understand that we are in the grip of a pandemic.

So there are rules to follow. He called for self-disciple and social responsibility to enable Pattaya to get through the crisis as quickly as possible.

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-25

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sungod said:

'Khemmarin told Sophon Cable TV that Pattaya was a beautiful, environmental place but the public had to understand that we are in the grip of a pandemic. '

Well, I live here and have been known to defend the place from the Pattaya haters on more than 1 occasion,

However cant defend that type of statement, Pattaya is great for many things but a beautiful environmental place is not at the top of my list!

There are beaches and some nice parks, maybe they are referring to them

Edited by scubascuba3

29 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The chief of police in Pattaya has said that both Thais and foreigners were among people arrested for violating the ban on congregating at the beach, in contravention of the Chonburi governor's order.

@rooster59

Make up the report, the title is misleading.. we won't happen Thais thinking they are exempt from this measurement.

Change the title to ' All people caught...'  or 'Thais and foreigners caught on Pattaya beach will face year...'

Or are the Thais free to leave after being arrested?

• Like 1

This is discrimination based on racism  Its against the law. My ex girlfriends entire family are on the beach right now and everyday.  Boogie boarding, fishing, etc... Oh, her husband is chinese? Guess thats ok. Any police listening to this, want details. Pm me????

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Why not include Thais in the title or are they exempt from jail and/or heavy fines?

The article is addressed to foreigners also, who may not be aware of the restrictions.  Thais are included in the article, the headline is not the article.   No one who bothers to read the article could ever conclude that Thais are exempt.

• Thanks 1

Else, crime performed after dark has higher penalties vs daylight offenses.

In this case, even native 'logic' contradict what is the norm.

Crime during curfew hours should lead to higher fines, and longer jail time.

I know, I think too mutt. 

28 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Seems like it

This is ThaiVisa not PLAYBOY you need to read the articles not just look at the headlines

Edited by keith101
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, keith101 said:

This is ThaiVisa not PLAYBOY you need to read the articles not just look at the headlines

Therefore, the subject title is misleading.

1 hour ago, actonion said:

Why "can't" you congregate at the beach, but you "can" at any Street Market in East Pattaya which is far more busy than the beach? especially  the market in Soi Siam Country Club

Shhh.... leave my market alone. I would starve if that market closed. My wife is there as we speak buying me Khao pad gung and cha manao for my lunch. Some people just don't know when to keep their mouths shut. 555