Is tinted windshield necessary? General experience with tint?

I can't see in the night while driving. I suspect a heavily tinted windshield. My idea is rip that tint off by myself. In that case, what is your experience with driving/parking car without any tint in Thailand? Is it a good idea not havinf tinted windshield at all?

In case I don't like it, how much would it cost to get the windshield tinted again and what type (percentage etc) of the tint would be ideal?

• Haha 1

Just now, AndyAndyAndy said:

Yeah, that thread is very confusing.

95% tint should mean that it let through 95% of the light. But half of the guys there are using it other way around. So in the end you have no idea what are they recommending.

In Thailand 95% is 95% block.

I have 60% on my windscreen and 80% on all other glass.

20 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

In case I don't like it, how much would it cost to get the windshield tinted again and what type (percentage etc) of the tint would be ideal?

Mine is minor tint but OK slightly mirror affect and good nighttime vision.

• Like 2

NOT that it matters but I believe that the legal limit is 30% tint. 

The only reason I can see for tinting is to be able to avoid eye contact, an 18 year old girl has the same status as a 50 year old gangster, you never know. 

Blocking of UV is another matter and can be done without reducing vision. 

• Like 1

Do you really need it, the last two cars I had in the UK had a slight tint "in" the glass from factory, as you may know there are a few very hot months in the UK, and I never had a problem, both rides had A/C.......????

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Quickie in a real Mini.......Wow, you both must be midgets...????

hahah. Push the reclining passenger seat back and..

Although to be fair  I may still have evidence of a scar on my left calf where is rubbed on the heater box.????

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

hahah. Push the reclining passenger seat back and..

Although to be fair  I may still have evidence of a scar on my left calf where is rubbed on the heater box.????

Reclining passenger seat in a Mini, blimey, you were posh...............????

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, transam said:

THANKS????

Just last night I had my final Heinekens until I find or am able to buy more, and that advert just made me feel inadequate and and ...... ????????

• Haha 1

I had the dealership take the tint off of my windshield, it absolutely is not necessary and can actually be dangerous. Why did I have mine removed? I found myself driving down the street one night, with my head out my side window as I was looking for an unlit side street. The next morning I closely inspected my windshield and realized it was tinted, I was shocked as I don’t think it’s even remotely legal in my home country.

28 minutes ago, 2long said:

THANKS????

Just last night I had my final Heinekens until I find or am able to buy more, and that advert just made me feel inadequate and and ...... ????????

Yeah same here. Had my last Singha beers and only have Kahlua and a bottle of champagne left. But I need to take a break off of it for 4-5 days anyway so no biggie unless they extend the ban.

1 hour ago, cooked said:

NOT that it matters but I believe that the legal limit is 30% tint. 

Not in Thailand, there are no specific guidelines or laws defining what percentage is legal or otherwise.  A good few years ago there was an attempt to make (all?) tinting illegal, including that on police vehicles, but it was soon abandoned.

51 minutes ago, 2long said:

Tinted windows are dangerous, and technically illegal for good reason.

No, they're not illegal in Thailand, either "technically" or otherwise.  If they were there'd be a citable section of the Land Traffic Act that covered it.

• Like 1

Purchased new the tint is usually free it comes 60/40, 40 in the front.  It really is depended on where you park the car and your habits.

I've found 60/40 to be o.k. even in the heat in Thailand, there are times and situation especially parking at the malls I've had to roll down the windows to get a clearer view it is just a matter of adjustment to things nothing so bad one needs to rip it off.

All cars have a light factory tint that's designed to reduce glare. In my opinion the Thai roads are extremely hazardous and more so at night. Thai drivers simply aren't looking and they can't see out with their typical dark tint. I take it all off of every car I've had here. The shop that applies tint can take it off much easier than you can. It's a very tedious job to do yourself ( I've done it ) ...Always keep in mind as a farang if you get in an accident it will be your fault. Also the front and rear cameras don't see very well through the tint especially at night .

• Like 2

I drove in the middle east for 15 years, where the glare is much stronger than it is here. I never had any tinting at all. I regard it as dangerous and unnecessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1